Sponsored

Dealer put "Anything less than a 10 on the survey is failing" on my Invoice.. How about delivering service that warrants a 10?

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

I picked up my Jeep the other day, and prominently displayed on my invoice was the following:

IF FOR ANY REASON, YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO SCORE US WITH THE HIGHEST POSSIBLE MARKS ON THE SURVEY, PLEASE LET US KNOW.
  • - REVIEWED MULTI POINT INSPECTION
  • - E-MAIL ADDRESS CONFIRMED
  • - DISCUSSED SURVEY / MY REPORT CARD
  • - CONFIRMED 10’S ARE ONLY PASSING SCORE
Here is the deal, if you are going to continue to deliver the same sh1tty service, the best that you can hope for is that I am not going to waste any more additional time in filling out the survey. For reference, my 2018 JLU is still under warranty until this summer. I purchased it in summer of 2019. I only use the dealer for warranty issues, as my experience with them is sub optimal at best. I even pay an oil change place to do my oil changes, as I don't trust the dealer to get the two years of changes at no extra charge done correctly. I will not let them rotate my tires either.

With the exception of one instance, my dealership is clearly confused on what sort of service is reasonable for a customer to expect considering the rates that they charge. Here is what I expect: (@JeepCares , FYI)
  1. I call the dealer service center to make an appointment. I discuss what I think I need done on my Jeep. The service writer puts this into the service order. The service writer is experienced, and asks questions about issues I may be having, so see if additional services need to be done. Unbeknownst to me, these questions stem from items such as TSBs that would affect my Jeep that I may not be aware of.
  2. Based on time, materials, and technician availability, the service writer negotiates an appointment. (I expect the parts that are needed for the agreed upon services to be in stock when I arrive, as they know I am coming)
  3. I bring my vehicle in at the agreed time. The service writer pulls my ticket, reviews what we discussed needs to be done, makes and additional notes, and I am on my way.
  4. I may get a progress call mid day from the service writer to let me know if things are on track.
  5. I come back to the service center. The service writer and I review what was done. I pay my bill, and leave.

That is what a SEVEN looks like. That is what I expect to be done. This is a reasonable ask, as this is the level of service I get with my cars at the BMW, Mercedes, Audi, GMC, Chevrolet, Ford, and Tesla dealers in the past. I end of putting 10’s on these surveys, as I got tired of service managers calling me up asking what was wrong.. and having to explain that I am paying a premium, I have high expectations. When you do what you are supposed to do, that gets you a 7. In this everyone gets a trophy culture, it is less hassle for me to mark it as a 10. I should give Tesla a 12 in comparison, as they have reached out to me to let me know when my airbag needed replacing. They sent a tech out to the parking lot when I was in the emergency room and did the airbag replacement on site. Doesn’t get much better than that for service. Another story, for another time.

The level of “service” I consistently get from my Jeep dealer warrants a 2. I am being generous, as that is because the service manager is a nice lady. The infrastructure around her is what is failing. Here was my latest experience:

I called the service center to make an appointment. I told the service writer that answered the phone all the info they needed to look up my account. I requested the following services:

1) Anything they needed to do for an annual service, minus any oil changes, or differential fluid fills.
2) I needed the clutch recall done.
3) I was still having wandering steering issues on the freeway. I wanted TSB 08-074-20 done

The service writer suggested a date to do those services. It was two weeks out, which was fine.

The next day, I called in again, as I forgot something. My ESS was not working. They had replaced the AUX battery once before. That corrected the problem for about a month. At this point, it didn’t matter how long I put in on the battery tender; ESS will would not enable. The service writer said that I would need to reschedule, as that would require additional time. That was fine, it was just scheduled for one day later than the previous one. No problem.

I bring the Jeep in. The service writer pulls up my ticket. This was the third service writer that I was working with. The ticket was empty. Nothing is in it. The service writer was aware that someone with my name had an appointment for that day and time, that was it.

I work with the service writer to rebuild my service request for the four things that I wanted done. I called my Uber, and went home.

I received a call just after lunch from the service writer. She told me that:

1) The wandering steering was caused by my aftermarket lift kit
2) The ESS failure problem was being caused by my after market stereo.
3) The clutch recall had been done
4) My engine air filter and cabin air filter had been replaced.
5) My Jeep was ready to be picked up.

So, I have read the TSB.. it is pretty clear, it says to fix it.. and has a specific paragraph about how to handle after market lift kits. I explained to the service writer that my lift kit was professionally installed, and that the 2.5” lift and 35” tires are well within FCAs specification limits; as is called out in the TSB. I also told the service writer that I needed her to update my ticket with: “The customer requested that TSB 08-074-20 be performed, and we refused to do it”..

I was put on hold.

I was then told that the TSB would be done. They would call me later in the day.

I got a call later in the day to let me know the parts were not in yet, and they would be in tomorrow. I was fine with that.

Tomorrow comes, I get a call letting me know that not all the parts had come in. It would take a week. Did I want to leave the Jeep with them, or pick it up? I told them I would pick up the Jeep, and bring it in after the holidays. I was told that they needed to keep the ticket open so that the parts that had come in didn’t go to another work order.. (hint: don’t make the customer care about your inventory management incompetence)

I asked about the ESS issue I was having, as I forgot to push back on that earlier. I was told that it was fixed with a software update. (which, sounded like BS)

So, I have my Jeep back for a week. I have that cool new gear indicator on the dash.

ESS still isn’t working. I checked the single lead for my audio equipment with a Fluke amp clamp to see if there was any fantom draw from it, there was none. I went ahead and disconnected it from the battery anyway.

I went ahead and charged the batters with my CTEK 7202 for 72 hours. Verified that the voltage on both the main and AUX batteries was correct. 12.3V. I did not load test.

I checked the relay to see if it was working. The Fluke registered 0V, which is what it should be if that is working.

The EVIC was reporting 14.6V, which means that the system was trying to charge the batteries, even though the voltage and the CTEK said they were likely fully charged.

I called the Service Writer up again. Confirmed that we still had an appointment. I let her know that the ESS was still failing, exactly what tests I had done, and that I needed them to look at it.

I also let her know that the TSB had been updated, and there was now an additional part. The updated TSB number was 08-003-21 REV A,and it was dated November 20, 2021. (we are in January at this point).

I came in for my new appointment, as scheduled.

None of the updates I had given her were in the ticket.

We went over what I wanted done, and I contacted Uber and went home.

I got a call in the afternoon to let me know everything was done, and that I could pick up the Jeep. Called an Uber, went back to the dealer.

I took a look at the parts list. The TSB that was performed was one revision old, and not the newest revision. I figured his out from the parts list.

I looked at the work item for the ESS. The tech tested the batteries, noted that the main battery had failed. Said “REPLACED BATTERY AND RETESTED” .. the parts list shows the part number for the AUX battery, and not the main battery.

My ESS worked on the drive home. It has not worked since. I put the batteries on the CTEK for three days. ESS still does not work.

I got a call a few days later from my Service Writer asking me how I was doing. I told her that the steering was improved, but the ESS was still failing and that I would try a few things to make sure it was still failing, and then schedule an appointment to bring it in again.

She let me know that I should have an email to fill out a suvey, and that anything less than a 10 was failing. When I filled in the survey, her Service Manager would let her know, and they would have a Starbucks Gift card for me!

WOW, A STARBUCKS GIFT CARD. I have a better idea.. how about, DELIVER THE SERVICE I PAY FOR. I don’t really need a Starbucks card. I can swing my own coffee.

I also understand this dealership gives folks free oil changes in exchange for good reviews on Google.

This dealer owns several Jeep stores in my area. I understand the customer experience is pretty sad at all of them.
I work for a large employer in the area, with an active car group chat. Similar stories are told with other FCA products.. including Ferrari and Maserati. Seems there are systemic issues all around.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
DING DING DING.. what gave it away?

Rairdon in Kirkland.
I can smell Rairdon’s stinking customer service like a Sasquatch from a mile away.

See my signature.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve bought Chryslers, Dodges and Jeeps for 30+ years. Never seen worse customer treatment than Rairdon’s. The stuff that comes out of the mouth of some of the service staff is simply unbelievable.

I’ve been in yelling matches with those f*ckers on a couple occasions. I’d never done anything like that before.

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I haven't had a "10" experience from a dealership since about 1998. Usually you have to grind out some sort of reasonable result as they figure that most people just give up.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
My servicing dealer once said the same to me. “Anything less than 10 is failing.”

My usual service advisor is fantastic and genuinely warrants 10s, but what a crappy policy. Sorry, if a score warrants an 8, then deal with it and learn.

Deleted member 59498

I had one tell me that when I bought my current Rubi. He was all trying to tell me how to pair my phone and I was like dude I need to go.

He said if didn't get a 10 it would hurt them. LOL I am going to give a 1 if you don't go away!

So why even take a fake survey or is it just dealers lying?

Sponsored

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Regrettably there is truth in the anything less than a ten is a failure. Corporate knows their methods and procedures are 100% flawless and will always result in 100% accurate diagnosis and correct results every time. Sadly I’m not kidding. Because of this, any dissatisfaction from the customer MUST be the dealers fault.

Now in this case clearly the dealer earned their low score, but sometimes these surveys really do hurt good front line people who are the victims of stupid corporate policies…

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
The dealer survey setup is absolute insanity, I don't know if the dealership should be able to see anything other than the rating they received. I had a not so great experience at mine, left a less than 10 survey and the next time I was in the salesman confronted me and verbatim grilled me on why I rated him the way I did.... I also learned that apparently once you leave them a bad review it can't be updated, I said well thats stupid because if you would fix my issues I'd gladly update to a 10. I very much never felt welcome again after the review either, for what thats worth and haven't been back and likely never will.

Deleted member 59498

I have never met a finance guy I ever left the dealer thinking "that was cool". Total assholes and time share salesmen. Maybe they work on new people buying cars but as soon as I sit down it is "No, No and No thanks."

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
I have never met a finance guy I ever left the dealer thinking "that was cool". Total assholes and time share salesmen. Maybe they work on new people buying cars but as soon as I sit down it is "No, No and No thanks."
The only praise I had at my dealership was the finance guy, lol. He got 10's across the board.
Sponsored