Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
This “Jeep Wave” thing is just a bad joke.
Sponsored

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I ALWAYS check my engine bay, undercarriage and interior after all three of my "Free" oil changes. Haven't had an issue yet. But I make it very obvious that I'm checking their work before I leave. That way if I were to have any issues, it would just be me walking back into the office so know they didn't do something properly. The second you leave, they have reason to claim that is your fault.

Thankfully I'm done with my free oil changes and WILL NEVER GO BACK TO THE DEALER EVER AGAIN, especially after I do the mod I'm about to do this summer. It will void all warranties and any recalls. So never going to have to worry about dealer issues again. I have a local diesel shop which I will entrust with any work I won't do myself.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Here is another DEALER FAILURE story. Had my first Wave Oil change two weeks ago. Have under 6K miles on it and had already changed my own oil twice but thought I had better take it in for a documented change given I had bought my Jeep about two years ago (want to minimize chances of warranty denial if something comes up).

While at the dealer, I was told there was some other "issue", which I don't really believe, but it was covered under warranty so I won't bore everyone with that. Regarding the oil though. Checked my dipstick today... no oil on it after multiple dips. Rather than top it off, I thought I would just drain and refill to see how much oil was in there. Whenever I do my own oil changes, I routinely dump old oil back into the fresh-empty oil container so I can measure how much came out and take it to an auto shop for recycling...(below is the picture of pour off out of my oil pan back into my empty oil jug).

IMG_1763.jpeg

So yeah, even if we assume I lost 1/2 a quart from my transfer (which I believe is a super conservative estimate), the dealer put only about 4 quarts in for their oil change!! I never received a low oil light and barely drove it but for F$%^ sake. I have a 3.6.

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Here is another DEALER FAILURE story. Had my first Wave Oil change two weeks ago. Have under 6K miles on it and had already changed my own oil twice but thought I had better take it in for a documented change given I had bought my Jeep about two years ago (want to minimize chances of warranty denial if something comes up).

While at the dealer, I was told there was some other "issue", which I don't really believe, but it was covered under warranty so I won't bore everyone with that. Regarding the oil though. Checked my dipstick today... no oil on it after multiple dips. Rather than top it off, I thought I would just drain and refill to see how much oil was in there. Whenever I do my own oil changes, I routinely dump old oil back into the fresh-empty oil container so I can measure how much came out and take it to an auto shop for recycling...(below is the picture of pour off out of my oil pan back into my empty oil jug).

Jeep Wrangler JL Dealer Oil service screwup IMG_1763

So yeah, even if we assume I lost 1/2 a quart from my transfer (which I believe is a super conservative estimate), the dealer put only about 4 quarts in for their oil change!! I never received a low oil light and barely drove it but for F$%^ sake. I have a 3.6.
At least you didn't drive it much, and there is a fair amount of oil left in the motor so yeah, probably 4 qts in there. Should be ok short term, but never let those bastards near it again!!!

Sponsored

Jiggs1960

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2022 Chevy Colorado
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear, but this has been discussed over and over on this forums, if YOU are able (meaning you have the time and are a fair hands on kind of person) do the oil changes yourself! Save money and headache vs dealers services, which as of lately these stories are becoming increasingly common.
Probably a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway. I am fairly mechanical, and used to always do my own oil changes ( typically in older vehicles that were no longer under warranty). Ours is a 2022 Wilys. If I change it myself (and don't have a receipt for having it done), what happens down the road if there is a warranty issue, will they try to back out of coverage by saying that it wasn't done at all, or wasn't done properly? Thanks

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Probably a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway. I am fairly mechanical, and used to always do my own oil changes ( typically in older vehicles that were no longer under warranty). Ours is a 2022 Wilys. If I change it myself (and don't have a receipt for having it done), what happens down the road if there is a warranty issue, will they try to back out of coverage by saying that it wasn't done at all, or wasn't done properly? Thanks
So there are a few engine problem threads on this and other forums. I don't recall seeing any dealers challenging the owners on maintenance. There may be some out there. But I haven't run across it.

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
You just need to show proof that you purchase the oil and filter etc, I go a little above by documenting it with photos etc, but in reality if anything happened engine wise normally the dealer will send out an oil sample for testing which will show the oil conditions etc I know plenty of people that choose to do their own oil changes cause of dealership issues and stories like in this thread, it’s not like auto makers don’t know about this 🤷‍♂️

Jiggs1960

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You just need to show proof that you purchase the oil and filter etc, I go a little above by documenting it with photos etc, but in reality if anything happened engine wise normally the dealer will send out an oil sample for testing which will show the oil conditions etc I know plenty of people that choose to do their own oil changes cause of dealership issues and stories like in this thread, it’s not like auto makers don’t know about this 🤷‍♂️
thanks for feedback. have a great day.

Jiggs1960

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
cute kid you have there, enjoy them while they're young, they grow up way too fast.
have a great day

Sponsored

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
cute kid you have there, enjoy them while they're young, they grow up way too fast.
have a great day
Thank you!!
You do the same, they grow up way too fast you ain’t kidding 😊

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
thanks for feedback. have a great day.
Some owners that DIY maintenance chose to go the extra mile and get an oil analysis by outfits like Blackstone. That provides additional circumstantial evidence of oil changes.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Some owners that DIY maintenance chose to go the extra mile and get an oil analysis by outfits like Blackstone. That provides additional circumstantial evidence of oil changes.
I take pics of all my receipts and save them in a folder on my PC, receipts now have that magical disappearing ink that turn the receipt into a blank piece of paper in a few years :(

Ostranza

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
This is the second time in a few months that I've read on this forum about the dealership botching a simple oil change where there was loss of oil pressure.
Aaaaand you can add me to the list today....I just posted about my experience....can't believe they also said my engine air filter needed changing and I just replaced it before taking it in....literally hours old....on top of that $620 bucks to change differential oils?!? $765 for Transfer case oil change....!?!? What the actual f@^#$?! Gonna do everything myself and unscrew up what they screwed up now...

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
I agree. This goes for any oil change place . Here's one that was new to me. My cousin's new Tacoma at the dealer for an oil change and they never did drain the oil , they just added 5 qts. Not far down the road and there was smoke coming from under the hood . Oil every where. They gave him an extended warranty (by the dealer not factory). He dumped it soon after.
I think it's fairly common. I had two neighbors that the dealer botched the oil change. One neighbor came over and said she just got her car back from the sub dealer and she thought it was leaking oil. I rolled my eyes and said, no, that's just AC condensation. "How can you tell without looking?". So I looked and it was an oil drip. I checked her oil and it was full and the drip was fairly slow. She called the dealer and the person on the phone told her to bring the car in and leave it overnight, but they couldn't give her a curtesy ride home. That made me mad so I followed her to the dealer. The incompetent car check in person was talking about the sea hawks to a customer, so after 30 seconds I said in a loud voice, screw the hawks you guys messed up. He asked "what do you expect me to do about it? Leave it and we'll look tomorrow". What a moron. I went into the service are and found a mechanic. He apologized, came out to the car, and said I'll fix it right now, and continued to apologize.

IF you have no means of changing your own oil, who would you trust? I like going to the dealership because at least everything is documented for warranty purposes and will only go there while I'm under the factory warranty.

Now I have an 18yr old Lexus ES that I take to Valvoline. Been going here for years and the staff has always been professional with never an issue. The oil filter is right underneath the exhaust headers and you need to wear welders gloves and have a long oil filter removal wrench so you don't burn the sh!t out of your forearms!

Not sure I'd take my Jeep there though, lol. Will probably start doing my own once my factory warranty is up this summer.
This never trust the dealer is pure nonsense. Trust but verify. I must have changed oil 200 times when I worked at a gas station and AFAIK, I never screwed up an oil change. But I guarantee, my chances of botching it are far higher than my dealer. Due to the number of times this has come up in this forum, my paranoia has increased. I take it to the dealer for the free change. When I pick it up, I check the oil and look for leaks. I pay attention to the dash as I drive a few blocks, then pull over and check everything again. I drive home and check it the next day.

Unless there's just no way you can DIY the oil change like some apts won't let you work on vehicles, just don't have tools or the desire to do any "wrenching" this is one thing as a Jeep owner you really should get used to doing yourself.
Why, I can make $500 in the time it would take me to change the oil, and I hate changing oil. I drop it off at the dealer for an oil change and then take my dog for a walk on the beach.

DIY oil changes are more than that, they are~
Great opportunity to get under your vehicle and inspect various components such as your oil seal inspection plugs, oil pan and differentials for any seeping, and just a good time to get more familiar w/ your Jeep & it's chassis.

Insure that engine is filled to the proper amount (and type) of oil.

Insure that oil filter cap and oil pan plug are properly tightened (not over/under tightened, or the dreaded cross-threaded).

Knowing the job was done properly, not having to assume anything and not wasting time having to verify that the job was done well.

Not having to drive to the dealer, wait for the service, and hope it was correct.

So see, it really is a no-brainer to just DIY, it's such a huge win!
I can't inspect the oil pan and other items because of my armor. But I do inspect what I can after every drive. My rig is a dedicated crawler so it's only once a week. But at least once a month I roll into my ace mechanics shop and have him inspect it. He's a vastly better mechanic than me

I ALWAYS check my engine bay, undercarriage and interior after all three of my "Free" oil changes. Haven't had an issue yet. But I make it very obvious that I'm checking their work before I leave. That way if I were to have any issues, it would just be me walking back into the office so know they didn't do something properly. The second you leave, they have reason to claim that is your fault.
Ditto. And if you ever have a problem with the engine, oil changes are documented.

Thankfully I'm done with my free oil changes and WILL NEVER GO BACK TO THE DEALER EVER AGAIN, especially after I do the mod I'm about to do this summer. It will void all warranties and any recalls. So never going to have to worry about dealer issues again. I have a local diesel shop which I will entrust with any work I won't do myself.
My ace mechanic will change my oil, I only go to the dealer now because it's free.

I take pics of all my receipts and save them in a folder on my PC, receipts now have that magical disappearing ink that turn the receipt into a blank piece of paper in a few years :(
That's the best approach. Backed up in the cloud.
Sponsored