Hawkeyejeep

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 wrangler 80th
21 wrangler, 16 k miles. 3.6
Dealer changed oil- wave program. Drove 5 miles home. Low pressure and engine light came on 1/2 mile from home. No engine noise. Discovered filter cap very loose. Never tightened or left 2nd O ring in?Underside covered in oil. Rear of jeep also total oil film. Dipstick dry. Towed to dealer. How worried should I be on engine damage already? Long term issues? I don't know how much was lost and I didn't want to check out of fear they claim I tampered with it. Certified Jeep Dealer, not Wallmart. Thoughts? Recourse?
Sponsored

JJ_WA

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dakota, 2017 Cherokee, 2023 Willys XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Higher Education
Clubs

Sorry to hear of the issue, Scott.

First, let @JeepCares know of the issue - tagged here.

Take pictures!
Document everything.
Then talk to the service manager to find out their explanation.
Be firm they fully inspect the engine to determine any damage.
Document everything.
Have them clean the undercarriage after they've fully replaced the oil, filter, and ensured the filter cap was properly placed and tightened.
Request they provide full extended warranty in case of any hidden damage that may arise later because of their error.
Document everything.

Hopefully you caught it early enough to not have any real damage due to their incompetence.

Oh, in case I forgot, document everything.

Good luck with it!

OP
OP

Hawkeyejeep

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 wrangler 80th
21 wrangler, 16 k miles. 3.6
Dealer changed oil- wave program. Drove 5 miles home. Low pressure and engine light came on 1/2 mile from home. No engine noise. Discovered filter cap very loose. Never tightened or left 2nd O ring in?Underside covered in oil. Rear of jeep also total oil film. Dipstick dry. Towed to dealer. How worried should I be on engine damage already? Long term issues? I don't know how much was lost and I didn't want to check out of fear they claim I tampered with it. Certified Jeep Dealer, not Wallmart. Thoughts? Recourse?

Electrified

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Jeep "free" oil changes are not free. I decided long before I took possession of my 392 that I would never use my "free" oil changes. Like other have said, document your issues well.

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
Sorry to hear, but this has been discussed over and over on this forums, if YOU are able (meaning you have the time and are a fair hands on kind of person) do the oil changes yourself! Save money and headache vs dealers services, which as of lately these stories are becoming increasingly common.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hawkeyejeep

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 wrangler 80th
Thank you. Never thought about jeep cares so I will do that. I took videos and pictures. Showed towing company driver and took his statement as well for some sort of witness other than my wife. I didn't care for the sales managers attitude, (service was closed) he was more defensive, but its not his fault, I get that. Also wouldnt give me a loaner. Their screw up, now we are stuck w 1 vehcaI till who knows when. I have already wrote up details of all so far.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
When you say the oil cap is very loose, is it just the cap or the housing also? I've heard of the dealership knuckle draggers breaking the housing from overtightening the cap.

If you shut the engine down pretty fast after the oil light came on and you weren't at highway speed, you should be ok. But that’s just my opinion.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Document the issue with PICS. I see that you had it towed in, good call. If they say that the engine is not hurt, I would request a extended warranty from them, at no charge to you.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
If you shut it off as soon as the light came on I wouldn’t worry about engine damage if it runs fine when you get it back.

Blacktip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR XR
Wow, I did my first oil change myself yesterday. This was the easiest oil change I've ever done in 25 years. $40 in parts, and 15 min. time. I am glad I didn't take to the dealer. It is perplexing that dealers keep on screwing very simple and easy oil change.

Document with photos and call jeep and file a complaint. At least, Jeep will have a record in case something else go wrong in the future.

Sponsored

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
It's unfortunate how common this problem with Jeep dealership service has become.
I was reading through the annual CR automobile issue that I just received (I know, I know, say what you will about CR), but it's no surprise Jeep has achieved the second from the bottom slot for "Brands that make the best cars", (based upon their evaluations of road test performance, reliability, owner satisfaction, and safety).
Good luck OP with your issue. I hope they take good care of you 🙂

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
if people think this is a Jeep problem, It is not.

if you take your vehicle to a dealership for a simple maintenance item, what do you think happens? They assign their top person to it? Ah, no…

How does someone get experience with working on vehicles? Or really any experience on anything? By making mistakes….

it is just an odds thing whether you will be the one that has a problem. Just a fact.

My ”free” first oil change on my dodge 2500 required the engine to be pulled. That was 22 years ago. And my last free change…

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
if people think this is a Jeep problem, It is not.

if you take your vehicle to a dealership for a simple maintenance item, what do you think happens? They assign their top person to it? Ah, no…

How does someone get experience with working on vehicles? Or really any experience on anything? By making mistakes….

it is just an odds thing whether you will be the one that has a problem. Just a fact.

My ”free” first oil change on my dodge 2500 required the engined to be pulled. That was 22 years ago. And my last free change…
This kind of thing happens because the management allows it to happen.

No green mechanic should be doing anything without someone checking his work. That's part of the training process.

Once a mechanic has been trained, he should be double checking his own work. If he repeatedly has shown to have problems with his work, the management is responsible to take corrective action. Again, the management responsibility.

This kind of problem gets out to the customer because the management is inept or doesn't give a damn.

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
This kind of thing happens because the management allows it to happen.

No green mechanic should be doing anything without someone checking his work. That's part of the training process.

Once a mechanic has been trained, he should be double checking his own work. If he repeatedly has shown to have problems with his work, the management is responsible to take corrective action. Again, the management responsibility.

This kind of problem gets out to the customer because the management is inept or doesn't give a damn.
Meh, this kind of thing happens because people want to come on a forum and post that the dealership wanted $$$$ for this simple maintenance item…

People go where the cost is the lowest. And you can’t be low cost if you have someone checking everyone’s work. Next time you are at the dealership tell them you would pay $50 more to have their best mechanic on it Or $30 extra to have someone check torque and fluid levels. Everything cost money…. Doesn’t matter what it is. People want to spend as little as possible and get surprised when every once in a while it is not right.

“Management” are given a measurement that they have to hit With a certain amount of budget. Not that they don’t give a damn, they have to prioritize and they are just human. Not defending, just reality. It is why at a Ferrari dealer an Oil change is $500 and a CDJR dealer they give them for free…

Last edited:

swampflyer

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlr-2015 jette tdi-2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Do your fellow jeepers a. Favor and name the dealers who do this. I agree with those who say change your own oil and differential fluid. A one eyed monkey with only one arm can do it. So can you. Very easy to do.
Sponsored