Dealer Oil service screwup

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Do your fellow jeepers a. Favor and name the dealers who do this. I agree with those who say change your own oil and differential fluid. A one eyed monkey with only one arm can do it. So can you. Very easy to do.
That dealer must have had a lesser monkey.
Sponsored

Junker21

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4xe
if people think this is a Jeep problem, It is not.

if you take your vehicle to a dealership for a simple maintenance item, what do you think happens? They assign their top person to it? Ah, no…

How does someone get experience with working on vehicles? Or really any experience on anything? By making mistakes….

it is just an odds thing whether you will be the one that has a problem. Just a fact.

My ”free” first oil change on my dodge 2500 required the engined to be pulled. That was 22 years ago. And my last free change…
I agree. This goes for any oil change place . Here's one that was new to me. My cousin's new Tacoma at the dealer for an oil change and they never did drain the oil , they just added 5 qts. Not far down the road and there was smoke coming from under the hood . Oil every where. They gave him an extended warranty (by the dealer not factory). He dumped it soon after.

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
IF you have no means of changing your own oil, who would you trust? I like going to the dealership because at least everything is documented for warranty purposes and will only go there while I'm under the factory warranty.

Now I have an 18yr old Lexus ES that I take to Valvoline. Been going here for years and the staff has always been professional with never an issue. The oil filter is right underneath the exhaust headers and you need to wear welders gloves and have a long oil filter removal wrench so you don't burn the sh!t out of your forearms!

Not sure I'd take my Jeep there though, lol. Will probably start doing my own once my factory warranty is up this summer.

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
IF you have no means of changing your own oil, who would you trust? I like going to the dealership because at least everything is documented for warranty purposes and will only go there while I'm under the factory warranty.

Now I have an 18yr old Lexus ES that I take to Valvoline. Been going here for years and the staff has always been professional with never an issue. The oil filter is right underneath the exhaust headers and you need to wear welders gloves and have a long oil filter removal wrench so you don't burn the sh!t out of your forearms!

Not sure I'd take my Jeep there though, lol. Will probably start doing my own once my factory warranty is up this summer.
In todays tech savvy era, it’s essentially a piece of cake to document your own oil change, filter change etc that you do for maintenance. For starters when you order or purchase the parts such as filter or oil you’ll have a receipt, either via email or in person then phones time stamp photos with date and time, if you have the gps function enabled it will even include the place, thats more documentation then your dealer probably has on file when they do an oil change! The saying a photo is worth a thousand words.

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392

I wondered If a specific oil change place would do a better job than a dealer. Since their top person is still doing oil changes?

Maybe call the valvoline place to find out if you brought the specific oil and filter what do they charge? Or if they can get exactly oem stuff?

Sponsored

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
I've been hanging out in various car forums for years and while you occasionally will hear about a dealership screwing something up, I really don't recall ever hearing about one making a potentially catastrophic error while changing the damn oil of all things, yet somehow for the Jeep Wave program, this seems to happen on a regular basis around here.

For something so basic and that's supposedly a small perk or incentive for buying one of their new vehicles, Jeep/Stellantis should really find the frequency of these oil change problems alarming.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've been hanging out in various car forums for years and while you occasionally will hear about a dealership screwing something up, I really don't recall ever hearing about one making a potentially catastrophic error while changing the damn oil of all things, yet somehow for the Jeep Wave program, this seems to happen on a regular basis around here.

For something so basic and that's supposedly a small perk or incentive for buying one of their new vehicles, Jeep/Stellantis should really find the frequency of these oil change problems alarming.
This is the second time in a few months that I've read on this forum about the dealership botching a simple oil change where there was loss of oil pressure.

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Document everything.

I've heard of people pushing for and getting an extended powertrain warranty after something like this.

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
A lot of dealers have a couple of oil techs that do nothing but change oil. They are typically NOT ASE certified and get paid apprentice wages. Usually not much more training than a Jiffy Lube dude. It’s how the dealer makes money on oil changes.

If the vehicle is leaving with leaks then the OT is not following basic procedures. Last 3 steps should be double check the drain plug and filter, start engine and check for leaks, then lastly check oil level. Dude fucked up and cut corners because the shop foreman is allowing it.

Now about your engine. If the light came on then the engine was starved of oil and some damage probably happened. It may not show up now but it will probably show up later with a dead engine long before it’s time. If they say the engine is fine then try and swing a 100,000 mile warranty on the engine due to their negligence

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hawkeyejeep

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 wrangler 80th
Thanks for all the response's. I didn't take the time to look through the previous threads. Additional info- We've bought 4 vehicles from them and they WERE trusted, right up to yesterday. Crap happens, but how they respond tomorrow will tell everything!
I also noticed today that the service invoice says 6 quarts of oil- not 5!
I usually change my own because it is easy and I know for sure what I get. But in this case, my wife and I have been dealing with some medical issues and a huge time constraint for the past 2 months. Thought this would be quick to free up more of my valuable time. But boy was I wrong!!
I better make sure they tightened the lug nuts after rotating the tires so I get home with 5 wheels
Interesting how my wife and I have to be responsible in our careers.
I will update when I find out how they accept their responsibility.

OP
OP

Hawkeyejeep

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 wrangler 80th
I just tried to update- looks like it didnt go through.
Didnt go well today. Dealer said I lost a quart. Thats not true as it did not register on dip stick and I have video to prove that. Anyone know at what point low pressure message and SE light comes on? Is it by volume or strictly pressure? They said everything was good based on it showed no codes. Would it show a code based on the message and SE light being on? Or not after they fill it to correct level?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I just tried to update- looks like it didnt go through.
Didnt go well today. Dealer said I lost a quart. Thats not true as it did not register on dip stick and I have video to prove that. Anyone know at what point low pressure message and SE light comes on? Is it by volume or strictly pressure? They said everything was good based on it showed no codes. Would it show a code based on the message and SE light being on? Or not after they fill it to correct level?
It is entirely based on oil pressure and basically requires oil pressure to be near zero.

however, the dipstick does only show about 1.5 quarts total on it. The full range from low to high is 1 quart.

the oil pressure switch is at the top of the engine directly attached to the oil filter housing. The engine likely had perfectly acceptable oil pressure at the bearings, since the oil leak was at the filter cap.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Unless there's just no way you can DIY the oil change like some apts won't let you work on vehicles, just don't have tools or the desire to do any "wrenching" this is one thing as a Jeep owner you really should get used to doing yourself.

DIY oil changes are more than that, they are~
Great opportunity to get under your vehicle and inspect various components such as your oil seal inspection plugs, oil pan and differentials for any seeping, and just a good time to get more familiar w/ your Jeep & it's chassis.

Insure that engine is filled to the proper amount (and type) of oil.

Insure that oil filter cap and oil pan plug are properly tightened (not over/under tightened, or the dreaded cross-threaded).

Knowing the job was done properly, not having to assume anything and not wasting time having to verify that the job was done well.

Not having to drive to the dealer, wait for the service, and hope it was correct.

So see, it really is a no-brainer to just DIY, it's such a huge win!
Sponsored