Sponsored

Dealer not interested in fixing Jeep, nor is case management----options?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I had a colleague do that with a Honda Odyssey. Honda's V6 transmissions are utter crap, he had a bad one and it always performed great at the dealership. It started acting up one day and he ran the engine to 4K RPM and dropped it into drive. New transmission.
Well, not saying I approve of violence against vehicles, but....
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Wow, a lot of posts here about noises. My jeep makes odd noises everywhere I thought it was #AJeepThing.

I would figure that a little bump noise in a driveline would be normal. You have driveshafts articulating to every bump or vibration, something has to give and metal on metal makes a noise. I certainly know that the manual transmission makes a bunch of noise that a passenger car wouldn't, but then I've owned a few standard shift trucks and it is perfectly normal.

My 3.6 makes some ticking noise from the valve train when cold, but I figure that is also #AJeepThing. The engine runs smoother than a Rolex when it is warmed up a bit.
My jeep hums, pops, whizzes, snaps, taps, claps, yawns, gargles, and he-haws.

it is a jeep thing.

OP
OP

Rogue321

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Your vin is tagged, even if you take it to another dealership, the history is going to be in your vin summary report.

You might have to get it diaged at an independent shop and have them write you a work order as back up, if they find something then you can use that as ammo for your next step, whether buy back, law suit etc etc.
That's my current plan. I've got a guy going to pop the diff cover off and see what he sees.

FirecrackerRedJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
lol 5 pages for this? how often do you really go into drive and into reverse like that? the noise half way through that video sounds like your trying to ram it into gear to hear this noise. do you actually drive out of parking lots or driveways?

OP
OP

Rogue321

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
lol 5 pages for this? how often do you really go into drive and into reverse like that? the noise half way through that video sounds like your trying to ram it into gear to hear this noise. do you actually drive out of parking lots or driveways?
I never left 1st gear. I didn't ram anything, just moving forward on a hill.

Thanks for your input.

Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Did you ever check the control arms and bolts?

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Two noises, a popping noise on acceleration from a stop, and a knocking noise in some way related to the driveline.

I was in touch with Case Management, which seems to be just saying what the dealership said. I got a call today saying "our engineering department looked at your vehicle" and "everything is working as designed". I'm guessing he sent the videos I sent him to an engineering department.

Somehow the two noises got paired down to one noise in which they were looking at.

Extremely poor communication and no will to fix the vehicle.

(popping noise---it pops throughout but watch the driveshaft at :54)

(noise happens only in the rear, gets more pronounced as coming to a stop).

They told me this was normal operation with a straight face.

What are my options?

Another dealership? I'm afraid I'll just get the same lack of concern since they've officially said ,"all good". I have an after market warranty, can I take it to a shop that wants to fix it and have them fight it out with FCA if it's a warranty repair? Call FCA and complain?
Have you drained your rear diff to see if there is any metal in there?

DunkinDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I have the same exact thing going on with my Gladiator. I hear a loud crack when taking off from a stop or while turning at slower speeds. Definitely in the rear. Sounds like it's coming from the right rear wheel sometimes. But have noticed that while driving the Jeep seems to buck while letting off the gas. Dealer has been useless. Last visit they finally heard the noise only to tell me it was the brake shield?!?! Damn, I'm no mechanic but I was like....huh? So now I still have the noise and a brake shield making a scraping sound... idiots? Can't even get them to return a call so I can try and get it in again. The problem with taking it to another dealer is they really don't want to help either. The first question they ask is " did you purchase this here?" Why should that matter!!! Very frustrating.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Not getting into the issue directly, but the question you asked, "Why should that matter." You don't buy a Jeep from Stellantis, but from the dealership, they are independent. So, when you buy something from a dealer and take it somewhere else, it's like taking something back to a different Autozone, or Costco, or Walmart, etc. It's not that they can't help you, but they may handle things differently.

It also may be as simple as they are going to look through their records and pull up your information which may/may not already be in their system.

They ask that question not because it matters, but it might.

Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Not getting into the issue directly, but the question you asked, "Why should that matter." You don't buy a Jeep from Stellantis, but from the dealership, they are independent. So, when you buy something from a dealer and take it somewhere else, it's like taking something back to a different Autozone, or Costco, or Walmart, etc. It's not that they can't help you, but they may handle things differently.

It also may be as simple as they are going to look through their records and pull up your information which may/may not already be in their system.

They ask that question not because it matters, but it might.
Stuff like that concerns me as someone who lives on the road, basically I would be on my own if I expect to minimize vehicle downtime on one I would depend on.

OP
OP

Rogue321

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I have the same exact thing going on with my Gladiator. I hear a loud crack when taking off from a stop or while turning at slower speeds. Definitely in the rear. Sounds like it's coming from the right rear wheel sometimes. But have noticed that while driving the Jeep seems to buck while letting off the gas. Dealer has been useless. Last visit they finally heard the noise only to tell me it was the brake shield?!?! Damn, I'm no mechanic but I was like....huh? So now I still have the noise and a brake shield making a scraping sound... idiots? Can't even get them to return a call so I can try and get it in again. The problem with taking it to another dealer is they really don't want to help either. The first question they ask is " did you purchase this here?" Why should that matter!!! Very frustrating.
I'm curious, is it a manual transmission? I've read a few threads describing this problem but no resolution. It seems all the ones I saw were from manuals.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Thanks for the update. Glad it's right.

G.
Sponsored