Sponsored

Dealer not interested in fixing Jeep, nor is case management----options?

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Another thought. Are your wheels lug centric or hub centric? Do you have the correct lug nuts for the wheels ?
Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have a few questions for you, because I keep hearing similar odd noises from my Rubi that I've never heard from my wife's Rubi, nor our 2 previous Saharas. I hear a popping noise & a rattling noise, mostly when I turn and I can only hear it if there's a wall, guardrail, or some other thing beside of me to bounce the sound back off of. It's inconsistent at best and hard to pin down.

• What engine do you have? Mine has the 2.0L eTorque
  • What transmission do you have? Mine has the 8 Speed Automatic
  • How many miles on your Jeep? Mine has 27,000
  • What rear axle do you have? I have the 3rd Gen Dana 4 HD 4.10 gear ratio
Just curios to see how similar our Jeeps are and if it's something that is common to a particular setup?
I have your exact same set up, except I am at 7,000 miles. All my noises and pops are at low speed when starting to move, changing directions and turning. I'm talking 0-2MPH. After that completely quiet.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I would try that same thing with the stock wheels. Are your new wheels hub centric? at :54 in the video I see the driveshaft shift with the noise, but it looks like the diff jumped too. That's why I'd look at the wheels. There was a sudden unload of force (looks like the nose of the diff jumped down a hair) like a loose bolt or play in the lug nuts. Also check the control arm bolts at both ends. Maybe something is moving a little.

Something to look at anyway. Good luck.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I have your exact same set up, except I am at 7,000 miles. All my noises and pops are at low speed when starting to move, changing directions and turning. I'm talking 0-2MPH. After that completely quiet.
Interesting, most of mine are at slower speeds, but probably more in the neighborhood of 15-25mph?

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I’ve seen posts about ball joint castle nuts not being tight enough from the factory. Have any of you double checked the torque on the ball joints? I’ll be checking mine tomorrow when I install my lift. My Jeep isn’t making any noises that I’ve noticed. But I figured it would be a good time to check the ball joints.

Just putting out an idea.

I saw a couple of posts about the pinion nuts being checked on this thread. I’d be very careful. Do not over tighten that nut if you check it. You do not want to over crush the crush sleeve inside the pinion.

Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I bet the pinion wasn’t tightened to factory specs. If you have any mechanical ability it would be worth hitting it with a impact gun.
I’ll take a look.
No do not!! He is just kidding. If the pinion is not to the required 200-220 ft lbs from the factory you are asking for trouble by throwing and impact on it. Then the pinion bearing preload, depth, backlash, etc will need to be readjusted. The pinion bearing preload has to be set after the pinion nut torque. There is no shortcut around this.

Everyone is speculating including yourself as to the diff noise. Since you are under warranty have the service techs pull the DS and cover and check that the specs are within range. It's a very simple and quick procedure.

If you can't get it checked under warranty just pay out the 1 hour labor to have it done (less than a hour actually). If it is indeed out of adjustment or damaged then it will be repaired for free under your factory warranty.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I’ve seen posts about ball joint castle nuts not being tight enough from the factory. Have any of you double checked the torque on the ball joints? I’ll be checking mine tomorrow when I install my lift. My Jeep isn’t making any noises that I’ve noticed. But I figured it would be a good time to check the ball joints.

Just putting out an idea.

I saw a couple of posts about the pinion nuts being checked on this thread. I’d be very careful. Do not over tighten that nut if you check it. You do not want to over crush the crush sleeve inside the pinion.
I did tighten all 4 of mine trying to minimize the clicking. Basically moved them to the the next slot for the castle nut cotter pin. The bottom ones were somewhat loose, but top ones were good from factory. It minimized the ball joint clicking while turning, but made no difference in the clunking noises. I guess I just have to accept that these ball joints with their slotted plastic "cup" click.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Popping noises on acceleration isn’t normal. Knocking noises related to the driveline isn’t normal.

I am driving it, but I’d like it fixed.
Does the popping noise on acceleration only happen when you floor it? or every single time?

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Two noises, a popping noise on acceleration from a stop, and a knocking noise in some way related to the driveline.

I was in touch with Case Management, which seems to be just saying what the dealership said. I got a call today saying "our engineering department looked at your vehicle" and "everything is working as designed". I'm guessing he sent the videos I sent him to an engineering department.

Somehow the two noises got paired down to one noise in which they were looking at.

Extremely poor communication and no will to fix the vehicle.

They told me this was normal operation with a straight face.

What are my options?

Another dealership? I'm afraid I'll just get the same lack of concern since they've officially said ,"all good". I have an after market warranty, can I take it to a shop that wants to fix it and have them fight it out with FCA if it's a warranty repair? Call FCA and complain?
https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2019-customer-service-index-csi-study

Jeep Wrangler JL Dealer not interested in fixing Jeep, nor is case management----options? 534EF953-EB9E-4869-A51A-A0BA7CA3C0B1

OP
OP

Rogue321

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I have a few questions for you, because I keep hearing similar odd noises from my Rubi that I've never heard from my wife's Rubi, nor our 2 previous Saharas. I hear a popping noise & a rattling noise, mostly when I turn and I can only hear it if there's a wall, guardrail, or some other thing beside of me to bounce the sound back off of. It's inconsistent at best and hard to pin down.

• What engine do you have? Mine has the 2.0L eTorque
  • What transmission do you have? Mine has the 8 Speed Automatic
  • How many miles on your Jeep? Mine has 27,000
  • What rear axle do you have? I have the 3rd Gen Dana 4 HD 4.10 gear ratio
Just curios to see how similar our Jeeps are and if it's something that is common to a particular setup?
3.6l
manual
It's the anti-spin diff that comes with a Sport S

Seems very different. :)

OP
OP

Rogue321

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Another thought. Are your wheels lug centric or hub centric? Do you have the correct lug nuts for the wheels ?
I have ProComp 69s. The bore is a little bit bigger than the hub, but it also has the center cap that adds a little bit.

Wheels go on fine without issue. I have the ProComp lugs that came with the wheels.

dogbreath650

First Name
Bobo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ Rubicon
I'm coming from a TJ so may not apply but... When I accelerate the Jeep, weight shifts and the right rear of the Jeep dips slightly. This results in popping noises from the sway bar links, springs and mystery other things, been doing it for 16 years now.. Can you be sure it's coming from your driveline and not from something resulting from the weight shift when accelerating?

OP
OP

Rogue321

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I would try that same thing with the stock wheels. Are your new wheels hub centric? at :54 in the video I see the driveshaft shift with the noise, but it looks like the diff jumped too. That's why I'd look at the wheels. There was a sudden unload of force (looks like the nose of the diff jumped down a hair) like a loose bolt or play in the lug nuts. Also check the control arm bolts at both ends. Maybe something is moving a little.

Something to look at anyway. Good luck.
See my post to the Last Cowboy regarding the wheels and lugs.

That said, the popping noise on acceleration has been doing this before the wheel upgrade.

The knocking noise I noticed after the wheel upgrade. But I put the old ones back on and did notice it as well, but not nearly as often and very faintly.
Sponsored