Sponsored

Dealer not interested in fixing Jeep, nor is case management----options?

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
That’s kind of what I’m asking. What is the best way to proceed here? Dealership and Case Management doesn’t seem to care.

I’m thinking of taking it to a local shop under the extended warranty and letting the extended warranty and factory warranty fight it out if it’s drivetrain related.
I like @Tharris idea, hit the pinion nut with an impact wrench and see if it fixes it (If this is within your comfort zone). It is a bit of work as you have to drop the driveshaft to get to the nut. The Jeep dealership network is terrible, take care of the small things yourself. If I were to need a new engine or tranny, I'd certainly take it in to the dealership. :)
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Not defensive, just stating the obvious.

Some noise is normal. Typically pops and knocks are not.

For one, of all the vehicles I’ve ever driven, none had a popping sound when accelerating. Including my JK. Sometimes you can even feel it.

Two, similarly, I’ve never known any vehicle I’ve owned with a knocking noise related to the driveline that something wasn’t wrong.

I’m curious, after watching the videos, can you explain why it might be normal?
It's not obvious, and if it was you wouldn't need help, hence the questions. You're the one driving it. I was ASE certified in handful of things with some experience working on Jeeps, trying to have you as the owner and driver help me out so I could help you out. Sounds like you've got plenty of help already, so I'll bow out now. Best of luck and maybe we'll see each other out on the trails. Have a good evening.

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
I like @Tharris idea, hit the pinion nut with an impact wrench and see if it fixes it (If this is within your comfort zone). It is a bit of work as you have to drop the driveshaft to get to the nut. The Jeep dealership network is terrible, take care of the small things yourself. If I were to need a new engine or tranny, I'd certainly take it in to the dealership. :)
Just don’t over tighten. A quick blast of a impact gun would be more then enough. The sounds I was hearing sounded like the pinion nut isn’t in spec and the gears have enough play to make noise. If the pinion has play in it you may have a simple fix.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Just don’t over tighten. A quick blast of a impact gun would be more then enough. The sounds I was hearing sounded like the pinion nut isn’t in spec and the gears have enough play to make noise. If the pinion has play in it you may have a simple fix.
Yes, definitely don't over tighten.

I'm all for simple fixes, I had an oil leak on my '02 Civic, carefully re-tightened the bolts on the oil pan and cleaned it up. Never leaked again.

OP
OP

Rogue321

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I’ll check it out this weekend. Anything at this point.

I’m pretty disappointed with the service.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rogue321

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
It's not obvious, and if it was you wouldn't need help, hence the questions. You're the one driving it. I was ASE certified in handful of things with some experience working on Jeeps, trying to have you as the owner and driver help me out so I could help you out. Sounds like you've got plenty of help already, so I'll bow out now. Best of luck and maybe we'll see each other out on the trails. Have a good evening.
I appreciate your time. I’m still curious what you think the noises you hear that might be normal and what would be the cause.

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ll check it out this weekend. Anything at this point.

I’m pretty disappointed with the service.
I’ve posted a few things in the forums about the terrible experiences from dealers and most people don’t seem to make that connection, or are forum trolls. It’s sad but dealerships thrive off of ripping people off from start to finish. That’s why I buy Jeep’s at this point, because I can do everything on a jeep myself. Expect to be shit on by any dealer you go to, and to have to fight long and hard tooth and nail to have anything done under warranty. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

OP
OP

Rogue321

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I’ve posted a few things in the forums about the terrible experiences from dealers and most people don’t seem to make that connection, or are forum trolls. It’s sad but dealerships thrive off of ripping people off from start to finish. That’s why I buy Jeep’s at this point, because I can do everything on a jeep myself. Expect to be shit on by any dealer you go to, and to have to fight long and hard tooth and nail to have anything done under warranty. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!
I was a tech for Mercedes back in the 90s. I got out of the field because of the crap I saw. I haven’t trusted dealerships since.

I’ve done work to my own vehicles since then. I’ve checked all the suspension nuts and bolts. They’re tight. I’ll check the pinion nut. I don’t have high confidence that’s the issue, but worth checking out.

But yeah, I’m biggly disappointed in customer service. It baffles me how anyone could experience what’s in the videos or watch them, and conclude it’s normal. But here we are.

I can be a squeaky wheel, and I guess I’ll have to be.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have been chasing the popping knocking sounds coming from the front of my JL for 6 months. I didn't even consider taking it to a dealership unless I found the exact source, as I know what they would say.

My popping/knocking sounds are much louder than the OPs and only happen when starting out (specially turning) or changing directions from forward to reverse or vice-versa. Vehicle is 100% quiet when driving and going through bumps.

I have inspected and torqued every suspension/steering bolt. No joy. I did not look into my driveline. this thread made me wonder if that is where I need to look at next.

Driving me insane. That and all the clicking from the ball-joints.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
“The squeaky wheel gets the grease!”

or replaced 😀

Sponsored

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have been chasing the popping knocking sounds coming from the front of my JL for 6 months. I didn't even consider taking it to a dealership unless I found the exact source, as I know what they would say.

My popping/knocking sounds are much louder than the OPs and only happen when starting out (specially turning) or changing directions from forward to reverse or vice-versa. Vehicle is 100% quiet when driving and going through bumps.

I have inspected and torqued every suspension/steering bolt. No joy. I did not look into my driveline. this thread made me wonder if that is where I need to look at next.

The tire rod has a tendency to click around a lot. I’d suggest putting hands on it and moving it around and see if that’s the noise you’re hearing.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The tie rod has a tendency to click around a lot. I’d suggest putting hands on it and moving it around and see if that’s the noise you’re hearing.
Thanks. My tierod needed tightening a couple of times (over 7,000 miles) to eliminate shimmy/DW. But that is not the noise. It is a much louder clanking sound than the tierod.

Last edited:

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
Drive it till something breaks then get it fixed..!?

OP
OP

Rogue321

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Drive it till something breaks then get it fixed..!?
Sadly, seems my only option.

I’ve seen a few threads talking about this issue with no resolution.

The drivetrain noise I’ve seen a thread describing similar issues. I sent all that to case management. They don’t care.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Two noises, a popping noise on acceleration from a stop, and a knocking noise in some way related to the driveline.

I was in touch with Case Management, which seems to be just saying what the dealership said. I got a call today saying "our engineering department looked at your vehicle" and "everything is working as designed". I'm guessing he sent the videos I sent him to an engineering department.

Somehow the two noises got paired down to one noise in which they were looking at.

Extremely poor communication and no will to fix the vehicle.

They told me this was normal operation with a straight face.

What are my options?

Another dealership? I'm afraid I'll just get the same lack of concern since they've officially said ,"all good". I have an after market warranty, can I take it to a shop that wants to fix it and have them fight it out with FCA if it's a warranty repair? Call FCA and complain?
I have a few questions for you, because I keep hearing similar odd noises from my Rubi that I've never heard from my wife's Rubi, nor our 2 previous Saharas. I hear a popping noise & a rattling noise, mostly when I turn and I can only hear it if there's a wall, guardrail, or some other thing beside of me to bounce the sound back off of. It's inconsistent at best and hard to pin down.

• What engine do you have? Mine has the 2.0L eTorque
  • What transmission do you have? Mine has the 8 Speed Automatic
  • How many miles on your Jeep? Mine has 27,000
  • What rear axle do you have? I have the 3rd Gen Dana 4 HD 4.10 gear ratio
Just curios to see how similar our Jeeps are and if it's something that is common to a particular setup?
Sponsored