Sponsored

Dealer needs to "make it right"...what to negotiate for?

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
So they did what was right and you expect to profit from it...never understoood this.
@Swanny297 I see you point under certain situations, and don't see it under others.

You're better half orders a pumpernickel loaf from the local bakery. You're asked to pick it up, (it's prepackaged) you do, and when you get home and open the bag, it's a rye. This is a bakery you've dealt with for ages--you know they just made an honest mistake. So while doing further errands you swing back to the bakery and they exchange it with apologies.

I get that. It falls under the "we all make mistakes," title of life and you were minimally inconvenienced. I'd reject offers of a free pastry under the same mindset I believe you bring to the table here and respect your honorable stance.

But in @shacdaddy 's case he was caused what reasonable people would consider aggravation and time (and time is a surrogate for money.) Minimal compensation sends out two messages: one showing respect to @shacdaddy and another that says, "we the dealer disincentivize ourselves from repetition of such behavior to you and others going forwards by putting ourselves out a bit for our screwup and your inconvenience."

My 2 cents: but again, know that I feel the honorable place from which you take your position.
Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
@Swanny297 I see you point under certain situations, and don't see it under others.

You're better half orders a pumpernickel loaf from the local bakery. You're asked to pick it up, (it's prepackaged) you do, and when you get home and open the bag, it's a rye. This is a bakery you've dealt with for ages--you know they just made an honest mistake. So while doing further errands you swing back to the bakery and they exchange it with apologies.

I get that. It falls under the "we all make mistakes," title of life and you were minimally inconvenienced. I'd reject offers of a free pastry under the same mindset I believe you bring to the table here and respect your honorable stance.

But in @shacdaddy 's case he was caused what reasonable people would consider aggravation and time (and time is a surrogate for money.) Minimal compensation sends out two messages: one showing respect to @shacdaddy and another that says, "we the dealer disincentivize ourselves from repetition of such behavior to you and others going forwards by putting ourselves out a bit for our screwup and your inconvenience."

My 2 cents.
And they gave him a 2 cent keychain , and ate all the pumpernickel .

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Yep. I just picked her up this afternoon. I had every intention of haggling for some sort of freebie, but the traffic their was terrible after a long work day. It was hot. They still honored the 6-week old trade-in value of the Denali that they let me drive the entire time (even though they owned it).

I did get a free keychain though! :rock:
Sometimes the haggling and bickering just isn't worth it. Everything worked out in the end. Maybe the other jeep would have had some of the obnoxious issues and this one will be issue free.

OP
OP
shacdaddy

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
Sometimes the haggling and bickering just isn't worth it. Everything worked out in the end. Maybe the other jeep would have had some of the obnoxious issues and this one will be issue free.
Right. If my custom order had taken multiple months like I've seen here, I would've been irate and pressed for a lot more (maybe even cancelling it and ordering '19). However, it got built and delivered in 24 days and they honored the trade-in (I had only driven the Denali 500 miles in that span....wow, good job guys.).

I was done w/ this dealer. They were "nice", but I know their gamesmanship.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Agreed @Carlton: it's very experience and party specific. Situations and people differ. Some people hold greater value on peace, others on getting respect even if a fight results: and even in the same situation, let alone the different ones life throws us.

Not that I'm suggesting you feel otherwise, but it's important to not categorically throw the complainers "under the bus." In life I've made stands simply because I didn't want what I negatively experienced to happen to the next person.

I firmly believe that reasonably people would conclude @shacdaddy was within his right to complain here while I also firmly believe reasonably people would not take @shacdaddy for a fool had he chosen not to raise issue here. I respect his decision here as it was his issue, his money, and his inconvenience.

Sponsored

OP
OP
shacdaddy

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
Agreed @Carlton: it's very experience and party specific. Situations and people differ. Some people hold greater value on peace, others on getting respect even if a fight results: and even in the same situation, let alone the different ones life throws us.

Not that I'm suggesting you feel otherwise, but it's important to not categorically throw the complainers "under the bus." In life I've made stands simply because I didn't want what I negatively experienced to happen to the next person.
My salesman, though happy to give me an amazing free keychain, did seem genuinely remorseful for almost selling me someone else's custom order. During our 2 hours today, I kept referencing the previous mistake just to keep it in conversation:

Salesman, after I signed papers: "Alright, congrats! You've got your Rubicon."

Me: "That's awesome, I won't believe it until you give me the keys *laughs*"

I hope he and the manager learned something here and won't fuck someone else over in the future.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I still think they should've offered you something for the inconvenience they caused and the "mix up". I'm still not sure how someone can be in the process of selling someone's Jeep to another customer.

I will never understand this and I don't think business is so crazy that this "mistake" can happen. Attention to detail is important especially when you're obtaining commission from such a huge purchase. This doesn't sit right with me at all and if I was the dealer that made this mistake, a keychain wouldn't cut it for me. I would offer something...maybe double the amount of free oil changes that you get with Jeep wave (so an additional 4), car detailing service...something more than a keychain.

That was a whole lot of hassle and time wasted that they caused and I don't know about most people but my life is CRAZY BUSY...and someone wasting my time is absolutely unacceptable, especially when it literally makes zero sense in this situation.

Someone isn't reading things carefully or must can't read or see the difference in names on paperwork. It really can't be that difficult.

And I work with the public, lots of paperwork and with many individuals and customer service is a huge part of my job. So, this right here...this situation aggravates me to the fullest because when you aren't about your business, you waste other peoples' time. And that's exactly what they've done.

People aren't serious enough about their jobs. They aren't in it 100%. And saying "i'm sorry" means nothing if your actions don't prove that you are truly sorry. A keychain doesn't seem like a real apology to me.

Just glad I bought from the dealership I got my Jeep from; they take professionalism to a whole different level. These other dealerships making these sorts of "mistakes" need to go through some proper training.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I still think they should've offered you something for the inconvenience they caused and the "mix up". I'm still not sure how someone can be in the process of selling someone's Jeep to another customer.

I will never understand this and I don't think business is so crazy that this "mistake" can happen. Attention to detail is important especially when you're obtaining commission from such a huge purchase. This doesn't sit right with me at all and if I was the dealer that made this mistake, a keychain wouldn't cut it for me. I would offer something...maybe double the amount of free oil changes that you get with Jeep wave (so an additional 4), car detailing service...something more than a keychain.

That was a whole lot of hassle and time wasted that they caused and I don't know about most people but my life is CRAZY BUSY...and someone wasting my time is absolutely unacceptable, especially when it literally makes zero sense in this situation.

Someone isn't reading things carefully or must can't read or see the difference in names on paperwork. It really can't be that difficult.

And I work with the public, lots of paperwork and with many individuals and customer service is a huge part of my job. So, this right here...this situation aggravates me to the fullest because when you aren't about your business, you waste other peoples' time. And that's exactly what they've done.

People aren't serious enough about their jobs. They aren't in it 100%. And saying "i'm sorry" means nothing if your actions don't prove that you are truly sorry. A keychain doesn't seem like a real apology to me.

Just glad I bought from the dealership I got my Jeep from; they take professionalism to a whole different level. These other dealerships making these sorts of "mistakes" need to go through some proper training.
Absolutely @TaiMc . In a world of too many people who seem to barely work at the threshold of "work no harder than not getting fired," basic competency, particularly on big ticket items like a vehicle purchase, should be expected.

OP
OP
shacdaddy

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray

Correct. From the moment I ordered the new Jeep to the moment I grabbed the keys today, I kept telling them "Hey guys, it's in X status....don't try to sell it to anyone else."

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
That was a whole lot of hassle and time wasted that they caused and I don't know about most people but my life is CRAZY BUSY...and someone wasting my time is absolutely unacceptable, especially when it literally makes zero sense in this situation. Someone isn't reading things carefully or must can't read or see the difference in names on paperwork. It really can't be that difficult.Just glad I bought from the dealership I got my Jeep from; they take professionalism to a whole different level. These other dealerships making these sorts of "mistakes" need to go through some proper training.
Exactly correct !

Sponsored

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
I’m astounded that screw ups like this happen. As others have alluded to, this is not a loaf of bread. How many customers does each salesman deal with each day? How many cars do they actually sell/deliver per week? And they can’t keep this sh!t straight? Come on. It has to do with the caliber of people they hire, the “do anything for sale” philosophy, lack of true management, etc, etc. No hyperbole - most dealers, most sales staff, suck. Think about your own job, what you do, what you have to keep track of. I’ll bet it is way more complicated then selling cars. If any of us were this clueless about our inventory, proceeses, etc our job might be on the line. 164,000 sales in US for FCA. About 2500 dealerships. Average 65 sales per dealership per month. Average 2-3 cars per day? Again, they can’t keep this straight? The OP may be an extreme case of selling a vehicle (well almost) to the wrong person. But there are lesser screw ups all the time. Fail.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I’m astounded that screw ups like this happen.
Every employee of every dealer is primarily motivated by greed and successful manipulation . In Cali you have the additional problem of ignorant morons working on your vehicle .

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone, am I the only one who sees, thinks, about how completely funny/useless it is to get a free keychain for a key fob that’s already way to big for your pocket?

Glad everything worked out alright!

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
While purchasing my JL, I was waiting for a ridiculouslty long period. Salesman asks “would you like something to drink? Water?” Sure, Ok.

He brings me a bathroom-size dixie cup of tap water. High-class.

They want to give you nothing! Not even a bottle of water. A hat, a key chain, all expenses they don’t want to incur unless they absolutely lose-the-sale have to.
Sponsored