Sponsored

Dealer needs to "make it right"...what to negotiate for?

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
A few of you might recall a dealer here in Vegas "selling" me someone else's custom preorder JLUR (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ep-that-someone-already-ordered-bought.13694/)

My 2nd attempt--a new custom order--is well on its way, just departed Salt Lake City, so should be here in Vegas very soon. Aside from locking down the original trade-in value, any thoughts on what I should press them for? Extended warranty? Soft top? Etc. etc. etc. Or, should I just let bygones be bygones, drive away happy, and never see this dealer again?

Stories of successful full-court presses also welcome. Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

MACCTM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Honda Fury motorcycle, Infiniti QX30
I've always found you should lay out your case for special dispensation then ask what they are willing to do and then just stop talking. There will be awkward silence at first. Just remember the first one to talk loses. Whatever they come up with you know you'll be able to get a bit more.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
The only thing you have to hang over their head is the customer satisfaction survey. I’d use that, carefully, as my reason for asking for some dispensation.

Most dealers are serious about wanting 9s and 10s on the survey.

For what it’s worth, the dealer I purchased from threw in free all-weather floor mats to seal the deal compared to the Koons lowest price offer. It was something.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
@shacdaddy first off congratulations. I hope the 2nd time around is better for you!

I do realize my speech on "the only thing one negotiates on is price," is a "ship that has sailed."

So--if you have negotiating power on things like how you survey rate the dealer, consider some option you want and can use. For example, I recall a thread on your concern over relatively limited storage space in the JL coming from a long bed truck.

Perhaps--if you are getting a hard top, your dealer might be willing to throw in the roof rails and/or basket. These options will give you extra storage capabilities until you can decide how much you need the JL to be the rig that does your hauling, and what kind of full blown roof system, if any, suits your long term needs.

Good luck!

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
A few of you might recall a dealer here in Vegas "selling" me someone else's custom preorder JLUR (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ep-that-someone-already-ordered-bought.13694/)

My 2nd attempt--a new custom order--is well on its way, just departed Salt Lake City, so should be here in Vegas very soon. Aside from locking down the original trade-in value, any thoughts on what I should press them for? Extended warranty? Soft top? Etc. etc. etc. Or, should I just let bygones be bygones, drive away happy, and never see this dealer again?

Stories of successful full-court presses also welcome. Thanks!
So they did what was right and you expect to profit from it...never understoood this.

Sponsored

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Fact : they did the wrong thing to him , and he is owed restitution to make him whole .
Not going through with the sale of some else’s Jeep order is wrong? Agree there was a screw up but look at it from both sides - how would you feel if the dealership sold your order to someone else.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Not going through with the sale of some else’s Jeep order is wrong? Agree there was a screw up but look at it from both sides - how would you feel if the dealership sold your order to someone else.
Sorry , @Swanny297 ; I'm a little confused . I thought the dealer sold the OP's Jeep to someone else .

OP
OP
shacdaddy

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
Sorry , @Swanny297 ; I'm a little confused . I thought the dealer sold the OP's Jeep to someone else .
Close, but reverse it. I signed all paperwork, paid the remaining balance, and signed my Denali's title over to them. Just as he's about to hand me the keys, he sees the window sticker realizing it was someone else's custom build.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
I don't think they owe you anything. They almost sold a sold jeep and corrected their error prior to it happening. It sucks but it is what it is.

OP
OP
shacdaddy

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
I don't think they owe you anything. They almost sold a sold jeep and corrected their error prior to it happening. It sucks but it is what it is.
Yep. I just picked her up this afternoon. I had every intention of haggling for some sort of freebie, but the traffic their was terrible after a long work day. It was hot. They still honored the 6-week old trade-in value of the Denali that they let me drive the entire time (even though they owned it).

I did get a free keychain though! :rock:
Sponsored