Sponsored

Dealer Messed Up Order. Is limited anti-slip differential important?

DatsunX3

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Sport S - Ordered
Dumb questions, but don't you still have BLD even if you get the LSD?
Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Where'd you get confirmation that BLD is only active in 4WD modes?

My understanding is that BLD is Jeep's marketing term for traction control, which is still active in 2WD modes. If not, what's the difference between traction control and BLD? (stability control is a different thing entirely)
I've read in many articles and forums that BLD is only active when in 4H or 4L.

There is also a good Jeep youtube video on this topic.

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
Now you have me second guessing if I want the LSD option. I mainly want it for the M220 gears and D44 axle and A/T tires. I was really never concerned about the open diff.
The new 8 speed handles 3:45 gears and 33s just fine. Since the dealer made the mistake work out a deal on AT tires. We took a 2012 Liberty Jet up Colorado forest road 740 (Cement Creek) all the way to Mt Tilton. It should NOT have made it. That was our first experience with BLD and it was amazing. Wrong tires, wrong Jeep, but it did it!

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Ice and slippery conditions LSD is the suck. Yes, it could help with forward momentum but at the sacrifice of straight line stability. Same thing, off camber muddy trails limited slip will crab walk sideways off it.
Yeah, all those WRC racers with front and rear plate-type LSDs don't know what they are doing; if they want to stay on the course, they just need a brake-based traction control system. If you are having issues in mud, the issue is your tires, not your diff.

Accelerating/merging in icy conditions with only brake-based traction control is terrifying; the computer will cut throttle and apply the brakes when one wheel is on ice, and that's dangerous when you need to get moving or get squashed by a semi.

The perfect setup for me would be an electromechanical rear differential lock (capable of over-driving the outside wheel, like the better sports cars have), and a locker up front. Best of both worlds. Modern electromechanical diffs can be be 100% locked, 30%+ overdriven on one side, or completely open. I'm surprised Dana or someone else hasn't applied this tech to 4WD vehicles. Might be too fragile to handle the rigors of off-road usage, though.

Sponsored

Halfdoor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 wrangler
Old saying around my brother's ranch in the Tobacco Root mountains of Montana, a two wheel drive pickup with LSD and weight in the bed will get places a 4WD without LSD won't.

cohocarl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Honda Passport, '18 Crosstrek, '16 Cherokee
I definitely would cancel and reorder and probably from a different dealer.
Reminds me of when we ordered a 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T Coupe 5-speed Manual for my wife when they first came out. When it finally came in, the salesman screwed up and ordered the wrong color interior. Wife was upset, I was pissed. I told them to write me a check for my deposit and I was going to another dealer.
They wound up giving us a MUCH better deal on the re-order. (come to think of it, it was the same dealership I ordered the JL from...)

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
So is the LSD good in snow or bad? I got it because I thought it would be better in snow/ice but I’ve read conflicting opinions on this thread.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
My last two JKU's had it my JLU has it and I think it's well worth it! Not a real lot of snow this year in S.E. New England but enough. Very rarely needed 4wd!

So let the detractors rave away they're just spinning their wheels...back ones! See what I did there, I knock myself out! lol

Go Jeep!!!

Sponsored

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon, 2010 Wrangler X, 2014 Mustang GT
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

I’d double check your build sheet. Mine says anti-spin rear differential. Same thing as limited slip I believe.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
My Dec/201 JKU Sahara build came with Limited slip/anti spin as ordered, however when Selec-Trac chosen, A/T's switched to HT's unknown to all!!! HT's are on the original build sheet but not the order sheet, it was a factory thing then?? Now have Falken AT's...great! However a big pile of HT's!! Guess the Jeep folks thought most Selec-Tracs would be road goers...probably so!

My luck, looks like things have changed?

Go Jeep!!!

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
My last two JKU's had it my JLU has it and I think it's well worth it! Not a real lot of snow this year in S.E. New England but enough. Very rarely needed 4wd!

So let the detractors rave away they're just spinning their wheels...back ones! See what I did there, I knock myself out! lol

Go Jeep!!!
So I’m in NY/New England always so glad to get you driving opinion

Sital

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Willys - Reign
So is the LSD good in snow or bad? I got it because I thought it would be better in snow/ice but I’ve read conflicting opinions on this thread.
Here's an observation that won't clear anything up at all. My jeep has LSD, my daughter's does not. Neither of us had any issue in the snow here in MA.
Sponsored