Sponsored

Dealer Messed Up Order. Is limited anti-slip differential important?

jessio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Hi - Just got my build sheet for my JL Sport S and noticed the dealer forgot to add the LSD and all-terrain tires. Obviously the dealer can take care of the tires, but how big of a deal is NOT having the anti-slip? I'm tempted to have them start over, but my build is already two weeks in and about two weeks from completion, or so I'm told. Opinions?
Sponsored

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Bottom line, if you don't wanna read: better axles, if you're taking it off road, much better control in inclement weather (not that you get bad weather in Massachusetts, right? ;)).

Personal opinion, so take it FWIW, but I wouldn't buy a Jeep without LSD or lockers, unless I planned to HEAVILY mod the thing (i.e. new axles, gearing, after market lockers, etc.). Do what's best for you, but I'd insist on making the dealer fix it. And making them find some way to comp you for the mistake, if the dealer's half decent.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Most of the time your 4 wheel drive will actually be 1 wheel drive. So there's that.

Sponsored

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Bottom line, if you don't wanna read: better axles, if you're taking it off road, much better control in inclement weather (not that you get bad weather in Massachusetts, right? ;)).

Personal opinion, so take it FWIW, but I wouldn't buy a Jeep without LSD or lockers, unless I planned to HEAVILY mod the thing (i.e. new axles, gearing, after market lockers, etc.). Do what's best for you, but I'd insist on making the dealer fix it. And making them find some way to comp you for the mistake, if the dealer's half decent.
Agree.. I'd either make them fix it OR cancel and reorder... If you have to cancel and reorder then the dealer needs to throw in a perk or two for the trouble..

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I would mainly want the LSD option for the upgraded D44 M220 rear axle and the A/T tires.

The JL has Brake Limited Differential (BLD) which electronically simulates a limited slip diff by applying brake to the spinning wheel. Does it work as well as a a limited slip diff? I don’t have the answer to that. All the JL Rubicons are driving around with open diffs unless in 4 Low with the lockers activated.

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
What's your planned use/mods? It'll only matter in moderate to heavy off road use and if you plan to run larger (35"+) tires. If you plan to do light off roading and keep it stock it won't make much of a difference.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
+1 for cancel and reorder

Sponsored

Chubrocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2017 JKU Sport, 2013 F150, 2004 4Runner
I'm an outlier, but I would never order any vehicle with limited slip based on my usage.

Ice and slippery conditions LSD is the suck. Yes, it could help with forward momentum but at the sacrifice of straight line stability. Same thing, off camber muddy trails limited slip will crab walk sideways off it.

For someone with a more rock climbing environment, sure it could help. Also, have a lot of gravel in my journey and LSD's last about 50k before the clutches are gone. BLD equipped vehicles work best for me (esp with full lockers in 4lo).

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
I'd reorder. The LSD is great in the JL particularly when it comes to snow and the beefier axle is really nice to have as well.

drm700

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GC Summit 4x4, 2009 Commander Limited 4X4, 72 Porsche 911T, waiting on a JLUS
Have them cancel the order and create a new one, not because of the LSD, but for the rear D44.
Agree, I would reorder and get what you wanted these cost too much.. There will be NO PROBLEM!!! for them to sell the one that came in. LDS was a must for me in Colorado.. Still waiting on my order but LDS option with select trac was on my list … Good luck

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
I would mainly want the LSD option for the upgraded D44 M220 rear axle and the A/T tires.

The JL has Brake Limited Differential (BLD) which electronically simulates a limited slip diff by applying brake to the spinning wheel. Does it work as well as a a limited slip diff? I don’t have the answer to that. All the JL Rubicons are driving around with open diffs unless in 4 Low with the lockers activated.
Good point, I forgot about that. With the BLD you may not need LSD, and BLD is standard. I haven't personally tested it, but a YouTube search suggests BLD does a helluva good job, in the least.

I'm an outlier, but I would never order any vehicle with limited slip based on my usage.

Ice and slippery conditions LSD is the suck. Yes, it could help with forward momentum but at the sacrifice of straight line stability. Same thing, off camber muddy trails limited slip will crab walk sideways off it.
I've never heard of LSD resulting in diminished stability in snowy conditions. It keeps you stable in turns. Decent explanation here:

https://gizmodo.com/how-to-drive-on-snow-and-ice-1680981632

Highlights for the TL;DR crowd:

"Most cars have open differentials which just allow a slipping wheel to continue to spin. Better cars will use a limited slip differential, which will recruit whichever wheel on an axle that has more traction to help out."

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

If you ordered it with anti-spin then get it with anti-spin. See if you can get them to throw in the all weather floor mats or cargo liner for their mistake. It's worth a shot.
is the anti-spin kit an LSD? the website didnt really explain it very well. i have the anti-spin kit. just not sure if i have lsd or not. i thought the lsd was an option on higher up models (i have basic Sport).

would worn out LSD be covered under warranty or is that just considered a wearable part?
Sponsored