Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
T
Yea I just went up there. They looked at the dipstick (literally less than a minute after the Jeep was running), and the service manager said “oh it’s supposed to be over the full line, it’s sucked up in the engine then.” I mentioned the invoice and they said they billed me for 6, when they used 5...I’m so done . I mentioned after the fact they lost a major corporate fleet purchaser of work trucks in addition to my personal vehicles due to their idiocy lol
The service Mgt at my Dealership told me actually the 3.6 takes 5.5qts so you will be charged for 6qts . Just saying !
Sponsored

azrubi

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I was the one that posted the dog tag idea. The Jeep dealership F'd up twice even though I reminded the service "advisor" and put a note on the dash the 2nd time in case person A didn't remind person B that it was 5 not 6 quarts. Below is the picture - same thing printed on both sides just in case Moe, Larry or Curly looked at the wrong side. Cost $4.95 on Amazon, took 5 days to arrive. They sent a coupon for $10 if you give them a review, so bought two more tags for other purposes. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MAX6VQR/ Click on "military" to see the elongated tag.
And are other threads mentioning the same issues:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...r-5-minutes-over-maximum-quarts-of-oil.28444/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/reminder-5-quarts-of-oil-to-avoid-oil-overfill.14789/
Does anyone else find it disturbing that a supposedly Mopar trained technician could make this mistake? I mean come on, this is AutoShop 101 stuff

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 11.20.21 AM.png

Skipswift

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Picked up my 2019 from the dealer in December. Haven't driven it as much as I'd like so it's not ready for an oil change yet but should I be worried about it rolling from the factory with > 5 quarts?

What's the best way to check the exact oil level? I haven't pulled the dip stick but I would image it's not marked.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I used to use K&N filters but after seeing a comparison between K&N and Mopar on YouTube I switched to Mopar.
Can you post that link. I have the K&N filter in there since new.

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I'm Pretty fortunate,as the dealer that I bought mine from is not local to me, however they do have a Ford dealership near me that I can use for the same free oil changes, and they know nothing about Jeeps so they look it up every time.
That's perfect! Want your Jeep serviced properly, take it to a Ford dealer, I love it.

And 7.5 quarts! that's gross negligence.

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
Well yeah...I have 3 free oil changes with them. Throwing away almost $100 plus I have nowhere to dispose of oil, etc. It’s just odd they would write that on the service ticket.
Disposing of oil is as simple as collecting it in a container (likely the same one you used to drain it in) and taking it to any auto mechanic store (any repair place or even dealer), any oil change store (Jiffy Lube, etc), or any auto parts store (Autozone, Advance auto, etc). Disposing of oil is really not difficult.

And “throwing away $100” to know that you yourself did the job right and correctly, yes, then that’s worth it. Ask it the other way around - is $100 worth having to either worry about if they did it right, or worse, them actually damaging your engine based on their incompetence of knowing the actual capacity of their name brand vehicle?

Pretty easy decision to me...

400kGC

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Change your own oil. So easy a caveman can do it. Plus you can take your time to let it drain out all the way. You don't want to know who is working on your jeep at the dealership. I can't believe people waste their money on this. Mobil1 full synthetic, do it right. This forum is mind blowing. I came from the JK forum, where everyone works on their own jeep. Some of these posts are pathetic. Looks like most of your jeeps have never seen a dirt road.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Disposing of oil is as simple as collecting it in a container (likely the same one you used to drain it in) and taking it to any auto mechanic store (any repair place or even dealer), any oil change store (Jiffy Lube, etc), or any auto parts store (Autozone, Advance auto, etc). Disposing of oil is really not difficult.

And “throwing away $100” to know that you yourself did the job right and correctly, yes, then that’s worth it. Ask it the other way around - is $100 worth having to either worry about if they did it right, or worse, them actually damaging your engine based on their incompetence of knowing the actual capacity of their name brand vehicle?

Pretty easy decision to me...
Well you know there’s a third option there, get the deaership’s free oil change and check their work. It’s not complicated.

TJ PL MN

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLUR. 2016 Acura MDX
I became aware of the JK vs JL oil quart difference before my 1st free Jeep Wave oil change.
Well over a month ago, I advised technician that it is a 2019 JL 3.6L and reminded proper oil amount. I again asked the advisor when they finished if they used proper oil amount- yes was his answer.
After reading the post tonight, I checked the dip stick on level ground. Best I can tell with the poor design of the dipstick is that the oil is 1+ Inch past full into the flex cable. Maybe that is why I have been hearing a ticking sound.
So glad I bought the 8 year extended warranty!!!!

Sponsored

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
Well you know there’s a third option there, get the deaership’s free oil change and check their work. It’s not complicated.
It’s not just overfilling that is likely to occur... but them messing something else up like scratching paint, or interior trim, etc. If folks here think it’s worth the risk, by all means, take it in for a “free” oil change. Makes no sense to me.

sprayingmango

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Moab
Occupation
Teacher
Yup! Exactly. They seemed to have done everything correctly and I was in and out in like 30 minutes. Got my free oil change, saved time and money, and didn't get dirty. :) Other than the weird thing they typed on my work order it all worked out.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Yup! Exactly. They seemed to have done everything correctly and I was in and out in like 30 minutes. Got my free oil change, saved time and money, and didn't get dirty. :) Other than the weird thing they typed on my work order it all worked out.

I HATE getting dirty.

Well done!

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
went in for my 2nd free oil change and again they said they did 6 and even said the manual was wrong took me out to the jeep and we pulled the dipstick and it looked good and I checked again after driving it and it still looked right.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
went in for my 2nd free oil change and again they said they did 6 and even said the manual was wrong took me out to the jeep and we pulled the dipstick and it looked good and I checked again after driving it and it still looked right.
That’s hella wrong.
Sponsored