OP
OP
WilliamstownLakeDude

WilliamstownLakeDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Porsche Macan & 2018 Punk'n JL Sahara
I'm sure you heard it more than enough from the rest of the posts, but yea.... I refuse to allow the dealer to change the oil in my JLUR and have NOT been back to the dealer since my purchase at the end of October 2018. It's an easy change, and totally worth your time in lieu of the 7.5 quarts your engine has received.

For what it's worth TOO much oil is not a good thing, blows seals out, so I'd suggest removing a few quarts just to be on the safe side.
I did. I drained it completely and put 5 quarts in.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Your tire shop doesn't rotate and balance with purchase?
I ordered online from 4WP online. They have a store less than 7 miles from me here in Charlotte, but I couldn't get an appointment that was convenient.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Honestly, I gave it up for years since I became lazy, and my BMW was always covered with expensive and cumbersome oil changes, but I just changed the oil in my Jeep two days ago, and really couldn't be easier. I especially like the fact that it takes 5 quarts, so I can just dump the large 5-quart bottle of oil in and be done. Walmart carries the Oil, and Oil Fuel Filter (MO-349) and you should be able to get both for about 33 bucks or so. I picked up a couple of those green Gerry cans (metal) off of eBay maybe 5 years ago. I used them previously for fuel, but don't use either any longer, so one became a used oil storage container for me.
I used to use K&N filters but after seeing a comparison between K&N and Mopar on YouTube I switched to Mopar.

Sponsored

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
I was the one that posted the dog tag idea. The Jeep dealership F'd up twice even though I reminded the service "advisor" and put a note on the dash the 2nd time in case person A didn't remind person B that it was 5 not 6 quarts. Below is the picture - same thing printed on both sides just in case Moe, Larry or Curly looked at the wrong side. Cost $4.95 on Amazon, took 5 days to arrive. They sent a coupon for $10 if you give them a review, so bought two more tags for other purposes. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MAX6VQR/ Click on "military" to see the elongated tag.

And are other threads mentioning the same issues:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...r-5-minutes-over-maximum-quarts-of-oil.28444/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/reminder-5-quarts-of-oil-to-avoid-oil-overfill.14789/

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 11.20.21 AM.png
You're being too trusting if you think they can already read.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
They do suck. It’s hard to tell where it ends, especially when it’s way over the top lol
How does the dip stick suck? The oil should be right at the top off the hash marked area. It's pretty easy to see that.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
If you are not mechanically inclined, just buy a pair of Rhino Ramps (~$35 on eBay), a fumoto drain plug and let your boyfriend put that on your oil pan.

Next time the oil change will be a 15 minutes job.

Yammyhaha

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito MOAB/Audi A6/BMW Z3/Saab 9-5/Saab 9-3 Conv
Word of warning to JL/U owners,

I just got my 2nd oil change at my local Jeep dealer (only because it’s “free”) and they put (edit: 7.5 - drained and measured) quarts in instead of the specified 5. I told the service guy twice that make sure the tech puts the correct amount in since they did the same thing on my first oil change. Check your oil levels even if you tell them that it’s only 5.
Just had the same problem with dealer here in Syracuse. Told them up front that it took 5 qts and they still put in 6. Had to drain one out.

Sponsored

sprayingmango

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Moab
Occupation
Teacher
Just had my first free oil change at my dealer. Everyone looked at me like I hadn’t 2 heads when I told them “5 quarts only.” They wrote on my service slip “customer requests 5 quarts only. Tech checked level, barely meets the full marker.” They told me it will be low too but they did what I wanted. What the hell???

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Just had my first free oil change at my dealer. Everyone looked at me like I hadn’t 2 heads when I told them “5 quarts only.” They wrote on my service slip “customer requests 5 quarts only. Tech checked level, barely meets the full marker.” They told me it will be low too but they did what I wanted. What the hell???
And yet you left it in their care? To save $30?

“What the Hell?” indeed.

Andrew2311

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I'm Pretty fortunate,as the dealer that I bought mine from is not local to me, however they do have a Ford dealership near me that I can use for the same free oil changes, and they know nothing about Jeeps so they look it up every time.

sprayingmango

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Moab
Occupation
Teacher
And yet you left it in their care? To save $30?

“What the Hell?” indeed.
Well yeah...I have 3 free oil changes with them. Throwing away almost $100 plus I have nowhere to dispose of oil, etc. It’s just odd they would write that on the service ticket.
Sponsored