Sponsored

Dealer messed it up again and used 7.5 quarts of oil

WilliamstownLakeDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Porsche Macan & 2018 Punk'n JL Sahara
Word of warning to JL/U owners,

I just got my 2nd oil change at my local Jeep dealer (only because it’s “free”) and they put (edit: 7.5 - drained and measured) quarts in instead of the specified 5. I told the service guy twice that make sure the tech puts the correct amount in since they did the same thing on my first oil change. Check your oil levels even if you tell them that it’s only 5.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase

I just got my 2nd oil change at my local Jeep dealer (only because it’s “free”) and they put 6 quarts in instead of the specified 5. I told the service guy twice that make sure the tech puts the correct amount in since they did the same thing on my first oil change. Check your oil levels even if you tell them that it’s only 5.
Had the same problem about 15 days ago... Dude sitting there arguing with me.. told him to look it up and imagine that shit... I will say that our dipsticks freakn suck though..

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I just got my 2nd oil change at my local Jeep dealer (only because it’s “free”) and they put 6 quarts in instead of the specified 5. I told the service guy twice that make sure the tech puts the correct amount in since they did the same thing on my first oil change. Check your oil levels even if you tell them that it’s only 5.
hows that saying go....? fool me once......

cant get fooled again?

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I must be lucky, my dealership fully admitted they weren’t sure how many quarts it takes, looked it up, and said “hey what do you know, it’s five!”

I kindly suggested that they put a notice in the shop to remind everyone that JL = 5 quarts. The service manager was very receptive to this and said “yeah that’s a good idea. I’m pretty sure we’ve been putting five quarts in because we use the system (the one she just looked it up on that is based on a VIN) when generating the work orders, but just in case, I’ll do that.”

It almost inspired me to get my oil changed there but I’m doing it myself so I can do a UOA with Blackstone.

javelina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB "Saharacon", 2006 Wrangler TJ, 2018 F-150 RCSB 4x4
We were lucky I presume. I did the same thing and told the service folks, "5 qts, 5 qts!!!". Plus, I printed out the oil capacity from the manual and gave it to them. When I picked up the Jeep after the change, the work order said 5 qts. Plus, the dipstick showed the proper level.

I saw elsewhere that someone placed a nice dog tag on their oil filler cap. Stating it's a Jeep JL, and 5 qts only. I'm gonna do something like that too. :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
WilliamstownLakeDude

WilliamstownLakeDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had the same problem about 15 days ago... Dude sitting there arguing with me.. told him to look it up and imagine that shit... I will say that our dipsticks freakn suck though..

They do suck. It’s hard to tell where it ends, especially when it’s way over the top lol

OP
OP
WilliamstownLakeDude

WilliamstownLakeDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We were lucky I presume. I did the same thing and told the service folks, "5 qts, 5 qts!!!". Plus, I printed out the oil capacity from the manual and gave it to them. When I picked up the Jeep after the change, the work order said 5 qts. Plus, the dipstick showed the proper level.

I saw elsewhere that someone placed a nice dog tag on their oil filler cap. Stating it's a Jeep JL, and 5 qts only. I'm gonna do something like that too. :)
Great idea, I’ll do the same!

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Considering the resources, time, etc. are at your disposal, I'd always suggest doing it on your own. After my first 6-quart, free oil change/rotation, I decided it wasn't worth waiting for. I did mine this past weekend on my own...no mess, no fuss. It's incredibly easy even with them heavy-ass tires/wheels.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Considering the resources, time, etc. are at your disposal, I'd always suggest doing it on your own. After my first 6-quart, free oil change/rotation, I decided it wasn't worth waiting for. I did mine this past weekend on my own...no mess, no fuss. It's incredibly easy even with them heavy-ass tires/wheels.

Bingo. I just spent ~$200 on a floor jack and torque wrench so I can avoid ~$300 worth of free oil changes and rotations.

Plus I’ll have to buy ~$200 worth of oil and filters. And do the work.

But I will know it’s done right, and that makes it worth it to me.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
I only take my vehicles to the dealership if I absolutely have too. If I need anything else done I take it to a local garage where my Cousin's husband is the head mechanic. Yeah, I realize I'm missing out on some dealership freebies, but it's not really a freebie when they mess up your vehicle.

Sponsored

Lar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Went through the same think. Now they are insisting that in spite of what the invoice says (6) they are putting in 5 quarts. Claim it takes a bit over 5 so they pull 6 quarts from parts ..

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

Surprised this is STILL an issue for the dealers. Think these guys would wake up by now. This was an issue when I bought my Jeep back in October '18. I refuse to let any dealers change my oil, and have not used up any of my 4 free oil changes or tire rotations. Just surprised. These JL's have been out for well over a year now.

It's just so simple to change the oil on this thing, why bother with the lame dealers when I can do it myself in like 15 minutes.

Oakwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JLUR Mojito
It's odd...i do hope it's not related to the fact that the oil quarts come in 6 packs as mentioned above.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
It's odd...i do hope it's not related to the fact that the oil quarts come in 6 packs as mentioned above.
Keep in mind that the dealerships are likely not using just single quart bottles, but rather are pulling oil through a pneumatic pumping system that draws from 55-gallon barrels, or perhaps larger. Cheaper to buy in bulk, I'm sure.

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I do my own oil changes, but it's hard for me to justify doing that and a tire rotation if it can be done for free.
I plan on marking 5qt's on the filler cap as well, since I know the guy at the counter isn't the guy putting the oil in, no matter how many times I beat him over the head with it. Then I'll check the receipt and the dipstick.
OR let them add 6qt's, siphon off 1qt and after 5 I'll have enough for a free DIY.
Sponsored