Dealer markup on parts?

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I just went to my local dealer (Huntington Jeep on Long Island) to order the Mopar Grille and Winch Guard Hoop ($249 on the Mopar site), and they tried to charge me $369! When I asked why, the guy simply said "That's our price. We can't match the online price for parts." So, I grumpily stormed out. Called another local (Security Jeep) and was immediately quoted the correct Mopar price, he'll have it in by Tuesday (or 3-4 days after I pay for it). The only reason I'm buying from a dealer is I have the points on my Jeep Rewards MC and want to use them.

Anyone else encountering outrageous dealer mark up on parts and accessories, or is this isolated and rare? A nearly 50% mark up, just "because"?
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I just went to my local dealer (Huntington Jeep on Long Island) to order the Mopar Grille and Winch Guard Hoop ($249 on the Mopar site), and they tried to charge me $369! When I asked why, the guy simply said "That's our price. We can't match the online price for parts." So, I grumpily stormed out. Called another local (Security Jeep) and was immediately quoted the correct Mopar price, he'll have it in by Tuesday (or 3-4 days after I pay for it). The only reason I'm buying from a dealer is I have the points on my Jeep Rewards MC and want to use them.

Anyone else encountering outrageous dealer mark up on parts and accessories, or is this isolated and rare? A nearly 50% mark up, just "because"?
Always call and ask before going in, and you wouldn’t have to go through all those emotions. And waste time.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
The one item I bought from my local Jeep dealer was not marked up.

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase

FYI- the parts dept works off commissions, print off pricing from another dealer that matches what you're willing to pay let them match it. If not buy on line plenty of dealers working off volume selling get the parts install yourself that guard hoop is the easiest piece to install.

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
I usually only use the dealer for small now parts that won't justify the shipping costs. Good for you to know the right cost because they probably get a lot of customers who just pay it.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

It happens all the time. Some dealers don't even match their online price, since they do volume sales via their web site. I ordered a couple of parts online from a local dealer and chose the option to pick up rather than have them shipped. When I got there, I realized I forgot something and asked the parts clerk if the item was in stock. He said "yes, but I can't give you the online price".

OP
OP
misanthrope

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
It happens all the time. Some dealers don't even match their online price, since they do volume sales via their web site. I ordered a couple of parts online from a local dealer and chose the option to pick up rather than have them shipped. When I got there, I realized I forgot something and asked the parts clerk if the item was in stock. He said "yes, but I can't give you the online price".
Yeah, this dealer wouldn't match their OWN online price. Craaaaazy.

OP
OP
misanthrope

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Always call and ask before going in, and you wouldn’t have to go through all those emotions. And waste time.
I know, right. My feelings (and my butt) were totally hurt.

OP
OP
misanthrope

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
FYI- the parts dept works off commissions, print off pricing from another dealer that matches what you're willing to pay let them match it. If not buy on line plenty of dealers working off volume selling get the parts install yourself that guard hoop is the easiest piece to install.
I will install for sure, but I have to buy in person to use the rewards points. No harm, but they would have been more than happy to gouge me if i hadn't known better.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

Most dealers don't have much retail parts business so they are not set up to be completive retail wise. Most of their business is wholesale to repair shops.

I have friends in the automotive business and I can usually get FCA parts from a local dealer's part department for about the same or less as any of the on-line places. Plus no shipping and tax. See if any friends work at repair shops and order through them.

A friend is a wholesale parts manager at another brand. Not sure about FCA but prices can vary at dealers for different reasons. The main reason is volume and how much inventory a dealer orders and is willing to carry. Another is the line of credit each dealer has. Some dealers can actually pay more than another dealer because they are not as credit worthy. Some dealers buy in volume, warehouse, store and wholesale out to other dealers. They stock and sell to other dealers in who don't want to inventory every part. All dealers sell parts to retail repair shops at a discounted wholesale or "jobber" price. The "jobber" prices can cost more then ordering from a high volume on-line parts dealer. This is because part of the "jobber" price has built in cost and expenses like free same-day delivery to local shops and credit terms. It cost money to have delivery drivers driving around all day burning up gas, delivering and picking up returns. Those add cost back into the wholesale cost.

How does the JEEP Rewards Master Card work? You get points for every dollar spent but have to redeem the credits at a FCA dealer?

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
I surprisingly had the opposite happen recently. I went in to pick up some grab handles after calling in to confirm they were in stock and the right price.

When I went to hand him the 15 % off parts in stock coupon, he waved me away and said he’s giving them to me at cost.

No idea why but I was a happy camper.
Sponsored