First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I was going to start a thread that was heavy on sarcasm regarding my 22 year old 170k mile dealer experience(non Jeep) and compare it to my future Jeep (2021 jlu April 21) dealer experiences.
I needed/wanted a service before winter so I scheduled a service a two weeks ago, plus my headliner is sagging for the first time. They asked me at the time if I needed a loaner and said yes as I always do.
Friday was my appointment at 830, walked in sat with my guy, then the loaner guy handed me my keys.
A C300 amg w 1k miles on it, has been in my driveway since Friday because I have nowhere to go😎 but I'm guessing I'll get a call to pickup my car Monday or Tuesday.
The dealership where i purchased the Jeep has advertised that loaners are available to buyers, but the first time my wifes Jeep needed something they said no loaners were available.
Experiences?
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I had some warranty work on my Jeep done by local Jeep dealer. They gave me a 2019 Sahara 4dr Jeep as a loner. I put just over 4,000 miles on it and took it on an out of state trip. Honestly I thought they would have a problem with it, but nope they were like hey if it needs and oil change bring it in so we can get it done.

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
I'd be racking up miles and probably tickets in that AMG.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
It was similar experience with the Mini I had. Loaners where only available to those who purchased from their group. None buyers had to wait in the very comfortable waiting area or take the shuttle.

Jeep was like waiting in a small town old doctors office that was being cheap to update the carpets.

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
When the steering box was replaced on my JL I was given a 2021 Grand Cherokee with 1200 miles on it to drive for the day. Nice Jeep. The service was complete in less than 2 hours but we drove around for a while looking at the sites.

Sponsored

Bluesharp

First Name
Bluesharp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara diesel , 1966 MGB
Occupation
Prison dentist...no, seriously 😷 RETIRED!!!
Things seem to be changing. 3 years ago we took my wife's 7 year old X5 in for the airbag recall. They didn't have the parts they thought they did, needed to order them, will take a week, Yada yada..... We live almost 2 hours away from the dealership, so they sent us home in a new 750i.

2 years ago we just showed up with a broken tie rod (huge pothole). They didn't have a loaner available so they rented us a car.

This year, went in for regular service..."no loaners anymore "!

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Calling in advanced and scheduling the loaner is always a good idea. That does not work for a emergency though.

Some brands are better than others but I think a loaner program is usually only as good as the dealership. Every dealership group is different. Some will advertise free loaners if you bought from them. Other dealers don't care and offer them to everyone no matter who or where you bought from.

I have gotten FCA cars as loaners from the dealer's own inventory and from rental companies when they were out of cars.. The rentals were from Enterprise and were FCA products. FCA or the dealer picked up the bill every time.

JEEP Waves can authorize longer term loaners 5-days at a time if they need to wait for parts or if repairs take longer.

I have also had loaners long term (more than a month!) where I put thousands of miles on their cars. No questions when I returned them. I just needed to make sure the gas was filled to where it was when I picked up the car.

Last edited:

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
My 21 JLUR went in for some electrical warranty work. They gave me a stripped down 2019 minivan the smelled like tamales. Had to drive that shit for a week. Got my jeep back to take on a trip and brought it back in so they could finish the wrranty work and they gave me 2020 fully loaded ram. I used the hell out of that truck, hauled yard debris, hauled stuff to the dump, bought truckload of dirt....

MassMopar

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JT Mojave, 23 JLR
6 months ago our dealer loaned us a used compass that reeked like smoke while our JLUR was in for warranty engine work. It was so bad my wife couldn't drive it. Had it for almost 2 weeks. I'd feel like they cared more if the loaner was something that was actually presentable or comparable to the vehicle we were missing. If I had a family trip or something I needed to tow I would've been up a creek.

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
My Lexus dealer in Ft. Worth, Texas gives you a loaner car for any service done to my Lexus, with the exception of a car wash that is free. Yes. you do have to make a service appoiment in advance, usually a day, or so. Going to this dealer is like going to the country club, your treated like like somebody and not just the average Joe.

Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I think a lot of dealers sold their loaners as used cars to generate revenue during their inventory shortage. This placed a squeeze on loaners.
Some dealers just don’t care though, or only about “their” past customers.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I think a lot of dealers sold their loaners as used cars to generate revenue during their inventory shortage. This placed a squeeze on loaners.
Some dealers just don’t care though, or only about “their” past customers.
It's not just the dealers selling their loaners. Dealers and car companies used to fill their loaner shorages with rentals. There is a shortage of rental cars now. Rental car companies dumped their inventory over a year ago at the beginning of the pandemic.
Sponsored