Sponsored

Dealer left oil cap off during an oil change and the Service Manager won't return calls.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I learned long ago to check all work before I leave the dealership - silly I have to do it but "it" does happen.
I once pulled a lug nut off after a tire rotation with my finger tips. Definitely check all work done at the dealer.

tlknasel

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Web Applications Developer
Vehicle Showcase
isn't everything supposed to be bigger in Texas, including the repair bills?

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
I'm retired and have the time ,so I will do all maintenance except warranty issues.A relative just took his Jeep in for an oil change.They changed the oil but left the old filter in.He thinks on purpose.Think if that is routine......

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I learned long ago to check all work before I leave the dealership - silly I have to do it but "it" does happen.
I learned to do that some years ago, after returning home with my Chevrolet truck after its annual state safety inspection. I raised the hood and discovered a Snap-On 1/2" extension sitting loosely on the radiator's plastic trim surround (I've reproduced my discovery, below).

I shudder to think what might have occurred if that extension had fallen into the serpentine belt while I was driving. Needless to say, I kept it for my own use.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dealer left oil cap off during an oil change and the Service Manager won't return calls. IMG_20220810_112705

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My line was a bit extreme and oversimplified, yes. Mistakes happen. When they're quickly resolved to make the customer whole, that's good business.
I originally misread the thread and thought OP's son had to play days of phone tag and negotiate to get resolution. When a customer has to play phone tag for days/weeks/months, elevate things on their own, or constantly check on the work is when I have a problem. I wish things wouldn't get out the door like that, but when they're fixed with courtesy and expedited then I'd call that being made whole and the company taking responsibility, not bad business that deserves to go under.
All good. I agree that when they start giving you the run around is when you chamber the round.

sfurash53

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Willys
Besides taking a dealer off the list of places you would do business with in the future, what would you do if the dealer left the oil cap off after an oil change. The entire engine compartment is coated in oil and the under-hood insulation has a nice spot directly above the oil fill tube.

I'm thinking if the Service Manager does not call back by tomorrow, call the general manager. If the General Manager does not call back, send them written notice of what I expect them to do including another oil change, a detail, and replace anything that they can't get the oil out of. If that doesn't get a response, get a quote from another dealer to fix it and take them to small claims court.
I would also put in a review on dealerrater.com as in my experience most dealers monitor that.
Tell the whole story including no call back.
Dealers hate getting a 1 on that site.

Skyward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JL
I would also put in a review on dealerrater.com as in my experience most dealers monitor that.
Tell the whole story including no call back.
Dealers hate getting a 1 on that site.

Thanks for sharing, this was a first heard for me.

Logalinipoo

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlur diesel, 2011 grand cherokee overland sum
Lol, sorry man unless you left a trail of oil from their door as you drove off you have no proof they did it.

I mean I'm absolutely sure they left it off, but prove it. Legaly anyone could pop your hood and remove it. And every time I've gotten dealer work done they have me sign a paper saying it's good. I never sign that paper before giving the vehicle a good lookover, Which is always fun. The service manager comes out the person helping me is there. Half the time a mechanic comes out and watches as I spend 10 min shaking wheels. Checking every lug nut by hand. Making sure the oil plug is tight. Poping the hood and checking fluids. Looking for loose wires and what not.

So if you signed that paper and drove away good luck. But it really isn't worth the trouble. Go buy a cap, get a can of foamy engine bright, swing by the car wash before going get another oil change.

Sponsored

JLeco2022

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 3.0 V6 Eco Diesel
wait people don't do walk arounds after they get their vehicle serviced? Nothing surprises me anymore

OP
OP
mschlott

mschlott

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 2019 JLUR
wait people don't do walk arounds after they get their vehicle serviced? Nothing surprises me anymore
I do, but you should not have to. Cars are just appliances to most people. They expect them to work and when someone works on them, they expect the work to be done right.
Sponsored