Sponsored

Dealer left oil cap off during an oil change and the Service Manager won't return calls.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Guys. Everyone makes mistakes. The people doing oil changes at the dealers are the trainee/low techs.

It is how you handle the mistakes that count. You called them. They owned up to the mistake, will detail the vehicle.

That is it. There is no reason to vilify the dealer or have all the bravado with some saying they'd be driving there in a confrontational attitude.

Be happy you don't manage a service department these days. Between all the parts shortages/delays and the difficulty in finding qualified mechanics it is not an easy job. Don't think for a minute that any of us would handle it much better.
Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
This shouldn’t be necessary; but the fact it is says volumes about where we’re headed. Buckle up buttercup, make decisions assuming everything will break immediately and your warranty will turn out less useful than Medicaid.
Absolutely true!

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Guys. Everyone makes mistakes. The people doing oil changes at the dealers are the trainee/low techs.

It is how you handle the mistakes that count. You called them. They owned up to the mistake, will detail the vehicle.

That is it. There is no reason to vilify the dealer or have all the bravado with some saying they'd be driving there in a confrontational attitude.

Be happy you don't manage a service department these days. Between all the parts shortages/delays and the difficulty in finding qualified mechanics it is not an easy job. Don't think for a minute that any of us would handle it much better.
Any company providing a service without QA/QC deserves to go under. A company worth revenue makes sure this type of thing never gets out the door. If it was an honest mistake they’d have done the detailing before a customer took possession.
I’m tired of the excuses. It’s bulls*** conditioning and if we accept it as customers we deserve the constant failures.
You’re being reasonable, but I believe as customers it’s time to stop taking the high road if companies keep raking us over the coals or forcing us into the courtroom to get reasonable outcomes.
Edit: Maybe I’m entitled to believe we shouldn’t have to fight tooth and nail to be treated well. I grew up in a time and place where businesses did what they said they would, when they said they would, at the price they said they would. Most were owned by community members, not corpo-investors. So they’d pay a price for failure at the local diner.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

I do agree with what you say about accidents happen and the other points that you made.... but
nowhere in this thread did I see anyone say or hint or suggest that they would be "confrontational.

I do agree it is best to be calm, civil, polite..... to work your way up the chain of command at the business..... and to be very clear with all you speak with the you know chitt happens but, you also know the affected party needs to be made whole so to speak.... to have the issue taken care of so the affected vehicle is in the same condition as it came into the business.

It's ridiculous to deal with this .... to do this back and forth over the phone.

In this case it would be best to drive in / go in... and talk... and let Management see what the their guy did. Work up the chain of command there until you are assured the vehicle would be returned to as is was...

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Any company providing a service without QA/QC deserves to go under. A company worth revenue makes sure this type of thing never gets out the door. If it was an honest mistake they’d have done the detailing before a customer took possession.
I’m tired of the excuses. It’s bulls*** conditioning and if we accept it as customers we deserve the constant failures.
You’re being reasonable, but I believe as customers it’s time to stop taking the high road if companies keep raking us over the coals or forcing us into the courtroom to get reasonable outcomes.
Edit: Maybe I’m entitled to believe we shouldn’t have to fight tooth and nail to be treated well. I grew up in a time and place where businesses did what they said they would, when they said they would, at the price they said they would. Most were owned by community members, not corpo-investors. So they’d pay a price for failure at the local diner.
Remember the next time you make a mistake you deserve to lose everything for it.

Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
A well timed, properly thought out FAKE temper tantrum can be worked for tactical advantage. As long as its not your real emotion.

You need to think with your head. If staying calm will help, stay calm. If pretending to lose your 5hit will help, start acting.
This sounds like a teenager giving stupid advice.

How about going back to the service adviser and intelligently negotiating your solution?

Your mama should have stopped your drama!

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Remember the next time you make a mistake you deserve to lose everything for it.
I do every day with pecuniary liability. That's my point. We double check our work. We ask others to check our work. We occasionally look at random samples of even minor transactions to make sure that nothing is slipping through the cracks. We evaluate the effectiveness of our controls and make sure they're being executed properly. If something does go wrong, we're automatically liable. I've seen others held liable for mistakes. I've been the investigator for the appeal for relief that was denied when an employee with pecuniary liability failed to follow the rules and improperly paid out money that couldn't be recovered.

Incident's like OP's are where they really need to be held accountable. That's the thing about risk. If they want to save costs by eliminating post-inspections by experienced (expensive) techs or whatever control used to be in place, then they need to pay the cost when things go wrong and make things right quickly. They can't have it both ways, but if customers let them they'll try.

Now, I re-read the whole thread sober and it looks like the service manager called back and didn't play games. My original angry response was because I thought it took OP a lot of back and forth to get resolution. Sorry for bringing my baggage into it from all the times issues weren't resolved respectfully.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Frisco CDJR
Frisco did the same thing on both my wife's GC and my JL. In the GC's case we drove halfway to Houston before I stopped somewhere and noticed the oil smell when I got out. In my case, I checked mine before leaving the parking lot and then called the SM over to look at it. Oil cap was still sitting in the service bay. That was like 2 years ago.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Any company providing a service without QA/QC deserves to go under. ....
Dude Toyota just had a recall because the wheels were literally falling off their flagship 1st full EV. Even companies completely focused on QA/QC (Toyota being a poster child) will have quality escapes.

100% perfection when performing mechanical work never existed, will never exist.

You can't get a $40 oil change, where the tech has 0.1hr to perform the work and not expect mistakes.

You can have whatever attitude you want it is up to you. You can go on picking up fights every time someone makes a mistake. You can find a new dealer every time they make a mistake.

Me? I assume upfront mistakes WILL happen. I check the lug nuts every time some one rotates my tires. I check the cap, plug and oil level every time someone changes my oil. If they mess up (and they have on my Jeep), I calmly point it out with the resolution I expect. Every single time I have been delighted because they went above and beyond.

I'll live it up to you to decide who has a lower blood pressure. Cheers.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Dude Toyota just had a recall because the wheels were literally falling off their flagship 1st full EV. Even companies completely focused on QA/QC (Toyota being a poster child) will have quality escapes.

100% perfection when performing mechanical work never existed, will never exist.

You can't get a $40 oil change, where the tech has 0.1hr to perform the work and not expect mistakes.

You can have whatever attitude you want it is up to you. You can go on picking up fights every time someone makes a mistake. You can find a new dealer every time they make a mistake.

Me? I assume upfront mistakes WILL happen. I check the lug nuts every time some one rotates my tires. I check the cap, plug and oil level every time someone changes my oil. If they mess up (and they have on my Jeep), I calmly point it out with a the resolution I expect. Every single time I have been delighted because they went above and beyond.

I'll live it up to you to decide who has a lower blood pressure. Cheers.
My line was a bit extreme and oversimplified, yes. Mistakes happen. When they're quickly resolved to make the customer whole, that's good business.
I originally misread the thread and thought OP's son had to play days of phone tag and negotiate to get resolution. When a customer has to play phone tag for days/weeks/months, elevate things on their own, or constantly check on the work is when I have a problem. I wish things wouldn't get out the door like that, but when they're fixed with courtesy and expedited then I'd call that being made whole and the company taking responsibility, not bad business that deserves to go under.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Hi.

DIY.

Bye. :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Dealer left oil cap off during an oil change and the Service Manager won't return calls. Fumoto

linux_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 6-speed manual, 2011 Compass 5-speed manual
I had trouble with a product in the early 2000s. I bought the domain companynamesucks.com.

So if you had trouble with Bobs Jeep, buy bobsjeepsucks.com. Then post what happened.

With some free search engine optimization, your page might come up before the actual dealer page does.

;0
It would be a neat reason for a canary page, but then I've been fascinated by the concept.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/04/warrant-canary-faq

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I do every day with pecuniary liability. That's my point. We double check our work. We ask others to check our work. We occasionally look at random samples of even minor transactions to make sure that nothing is slipping through the cracks. We evaluate the effectiveness of our controls and make sure they're being executed properly. If something does go wrong, we're automatically liable. I've seen others held liable for mistakes. I've been the investigator for the appeal for relief that was denied when an employee with pecuniary liability failed to follow the rules and improperly paid out money that couldn't be recovered.

Incident's like OP's are where they really need to be held accountable. That's the thing about risk. If they want to save costs by eliminating post-inspections by experienced (expensive) techs or whatever control used to be in place, then they need to pay the cost when things go wrong and make things right quickly. They can't have it both ways, but if customers let them they'll try.

Now, I re-read the whole thread sober and it looks like the service manager called back and didn't play games. My original angry response was because I thought it took OP a lot of back and forth to get resolution. Sorry for bringing my baggage into it from all the times issues weren't resolved respectfully.
“Liable” in this case means cleaning it up and apologizing. Maybe a free oil change or two coupon. A smack upside the head for the lube tech.

Packnbeer

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2-Door
This, and many other stories I’ve read over time it has forced my hand to wave to the jeep wave 3 free services at least for now I’m doing my own on my diesel, it’s a few hundred out of pocket cost that I could be saving but peace of mind is worth more to me then to have to worry about possible issues, it’s hard times right now to find good dependable workers
i agree. I have not used mine and I wont. I trust nobody with this task except me. 99% of the techs are awesome but nobody will care for your ride like you will.
Sponsored