Dealer keeps trying to add proximity keys and floor mats to my order

Jeeper84

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Tj 4.0
I'm getting the run around at my local dealership. they keep trying to add proximity keys and floor mats to my build sheet and they blame it on Chrysler
Sponsored

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
Pick a better dealer, because that is total BS. That sounds like shady sales directives that the sales people have to push.

There is a thread on this forum of recommended dealers. Find one, and don't be afraid to make a bit of a drive to pick it up. With a highly recommended dealer, you don't need to negotiate in person. I dealt with a recommended dealer/sales person (Steve Boeckmann at Jim Butler Jeep in Linn, MO), and I only saw his face during the order process because he is only a couple dozen miles away and I just stopped in to say hi...and to check on my build status, perhaps. A couple of phone calls and a few e-mails and I was confident I got a fair deal on my order.

By the way, Mr. Boeckmann does do long distance sales! He has a guy from Dallas ordering from him, and when it comes in the buyer is driving it to California for shipment to Hawaii. If you fly in to Springfield, MO, I could be convinced (with a bottle of whiskey, and maybe a tad of gas money) to pick you up and drive you to Linn. If my Jeep arrives in time, I'll even pick you up in style.

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I'm getting the run around at my local dealership. they keep trying to add proximity keys and floor mats to my build sheet and they blame it on Chrysler
Build it at home and come in with the build.
OR get the options cause they're great to have.....šŸ˜Ž

Slammed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU ,2010 Kia Soul
Mine came with mats Was told with ordering one of the options it was required. I dropped the ball on the proximity key. Thought I had it on the order sheet,but after the paperwork was sent in i noticed that it wasnā€™t on.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jeeper84

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Tj 4.0
Get the proximity keys, wish I did on mine. The floormatts are great to have
I don't lock my vehicles especially
2nd this, about a week with this feature...Just get it., you'll apricate it.
I don't lock my jeep especially since it's has a soft top.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
I don't lock my vehicles especially

I don't lock my jeep especially since it's has a soft top.
so why so upset about dealer adding options without your consent if you aren't worried about throwing away da' monies anyway?

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
so why so upset about dealer adding options without your consent if you aren't worried about throwing away da' monies anyway?
Iā€™ve gotta agree with Jeeper on this one. When I had my JK with the soft top I never locked it either. I didnā€™t want anyone slicing it. I hoped if a junkie picked mine theyā€™d take the 2 rolls of quarters in my console, be happy they can get their fix and move on.

Sponsored

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
My salesman tried to push some options on me because he knows me and knew I would want them later. I wish I listened to each one he recommended šŸ˜’ I think ā€˜no proximity regretā€™ is extremely common.

I tend to think the motivation in these cases is a desire to ensure customers are happy with their choices in the end. Secondary would be resale value, a used Jeep with proximity locks is going to sell faster than an identical one without.

That said, itā€™s your choice in the end so if you are sure, stand firm.

Sidspider

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2021 JLU Willys
When I ordered my Jeep the dealer said the system required a Trail Rated kit that day and asked if I wanted it or if Iā€™d like to wait and see if it required it the next day. I opted to wait and he was able to order without it. He also mentioned the week before they were requiring proximity locks and he suspected FCA would require options be added when they had overstocked parts, but he had no evidence of it. Ask the dealer to try again in a day or 2 if you donā€™t want those options.
I agree about not locking a soft top. Thieves will slice your top to steal the change in your cup holder. They do hundreds of dollars in damage for a $10 iPhone cord. Youā€™d think theyā€™d be smart enough to realize itā€™s all held together by zippers, but I guess if they were that smart they would have jobs...

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
My salesman tried to push some options on me because he knows me and knew I would want them later. I wish I listened to each one he recommended šŸ˜’ I think ā€˜no proximity regretā€™ is extremely common.

I tend to think the motivation in these cases is a desire to ensure customers are happy with their choices in the end. Secondary would be resale value, a used Jeep with proximity locks is going to sell faster than an identical one without.

That said, itā€™s your choice in the end so if you are sure, stand firm.
When I ordered my first Jeep a JK in 2017 I remember saying ā€œI donā€™t need auto air, I can hit a buttonā€, ā€œI donā€™t need the tow package, I ainā€™t towing anythingā€. My older brother was with me. He said most of these options are a few hundred bucks, get them because if you want to sell it will make a difference. I wound up loving auto air. I towed motorcycles about 5 times and got a good price when I traded in for the JL.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
What do you mean "they keep trying to add"? How is that when you obviously told them "no"? Was this a one-time thing or multiple times?