Sponsored

Dealer is replacing my transmission

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
This past Friday, I took my JLUS to the dealership to take care of a few warranty items:

1. Broken console latch (broke the 2nd day I owned the vehicle, but I kept fixing it myself)
2. Rear arm rest doesn't latch and won't stay in the up position
3. Brakes squealing
4. Water leaks under all 4 doors (whenever I take it through the car wash, I get a shower also)

Most importantly:
5. Very rough shifting when accelerating, mostly when starting from a stop, but it was starting to happen any time I accelerated. When I took delivery of the vehicle on Jan 4th, I noticed a whining sound when I accelerated, but I thought it was just a new engine. It kept getting worse and worse as time went on and got to the point where it had a really hard time shifting, especially when starting from a stop, and especially on a hill near my house. I would have the car floored and it would barely accelerate.

So, the dealership called me yesterday, and they said among other things that the transmission had been OVERfilled with 2/3 to 1 quart of fluid, which must've happened at the factory. WTF?!?! Apparently they were communicating with corporate, who told them to replace the entire transmission. I was really surprised. Should I be concerned or happy that I'm getting a new transmission?? I love my Wrangler, but I'm so disappointed with the quality of it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
UnicornCinnamon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
What’s the estimate of how long it’s going to take to get a replacement unit?
They said ETA July 8th. I'm picking my Jeep up tomorrow - they said it's safe to drive until then. I hope they're right because I miss it and don't want to drive this smelly loaner for 2 weeks.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
This past Friday, I took my JLUS to the dealership to take care of a few warranty items:

1. Broken console latch (broke the 2nd day I owned the vehicle, but I kept fixing it myself)
2. Rear arm rest doesn't latch and won't stay in the up position
3. Brakes squealing
4. Water leaks under all 4 doors (whenever I take it through the car wash, I get a shower also)

Most importantly:
5. Very rough shifting when accelerating, mostly when starting from a stop, but it was starting to happen any time I accelerated. When I took delivery of the vehicle on Jan 4th, I noticed a whining sound when I accelerated, but I thought it was just a new engine. It kept getting worse and worse as time went on and got to the point where it had a really hard time shifting, especially when starting from a stop, and especially on a hill near my house. I would have the car floored and it would barely accelerate.

So, the dealership called me yesterday, and they said among other things that the transmission had been OVERfilled with 2/3 to 1 quart of fluid, which must've happened at the factory. WTF?!?! Apparently they were communicating with corporate, who told them to replace the entire transmission. I was really surprised. Should I be concerned or happy that I'm getting a new transmission?? I love my Wrangler, but I'm so disappointed with the quality of it.
Wow. How would the dealer know it was over filled? There is no dipstick. Did they empty it and measure the amount? Surely they would not have collected all the fluid.

Do the symptoms described indicate an over fill situation?

Wonder if FCA is already aware of the over fill problem and that’s why they are so quick to replace it or is the over fill just a line of BS to cover for an actual defect?

OP
OP
UnicornCinnamon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Wow. How would the dealer know it was over filled? There is no dipstick. Did they empty it and measure the amount? Surely they would not have collected all the fluid.

Do the symptoms described indicate an over fill situation?

Wonder if FCA is already aware of the over fill problem and that’s why they are so quick to replace it or is the over fill just a line of BS to cover for an actual defect?
I'm not sure how to answer you...I don't know much about cars at all and didn't ask these questions when the service guy told me all this. I wouldn't have known what questions to ask. But the fact that FCA is so quick to offer a replacement transmission has me very leery.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I'm not sure how to answer you...I don't know much about cars at all and didn't ask these questions when the service guy told me all this. I wouldn't have known what questions to ask. But the fact that FCA is so quick to offer a replacement transmission has me very leery.
transmission fluid expand with heat, many techs are not aware of this, so if the liquids were measured at a higher than specified temperature via the fill-hole, it will show it being overfilled. The ONLY way to measured and fill these transmissions is to go through the tedious process of having fluid temperature constantly monitored and maintained all while filled via very narrow window of time frame as per internal service manual.

If these tasks are performed by the same guys who couldn’t even fill the correct amount of motor oil properly, I wouldn’t trust them one bit in tackling this..

Last edited:
OP
OP
UnicornCinnamon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
transmission fluid expand with heat, many techs are not aware of this, so if the liquids were measured at a higher than specified temperature via the fill-hole, it will show it being overfilled. The ONLY way to measured and fill these transmissions is to go through the tedious process of having fluid temperature constantly monitored and maintained all while filled via very narrow window of time frame as per internal service manual.

If these tasks are performed by the same guys who couldn’t even fill the correct amount of motor oil properly, I wouldn’t trust them one bit in tackling this..
They did actually make sure the temperature of the transmission fluid was correct -- the service advisor explained to me the process they went through. I'm not so much concerned with the technical ability of the mechanics at this dealership as I am with the build quality (or lack thereof) of my Wrangler. But that's a good point that you made! I wouldn't have known about it if the service advisor hadn't explained it to me.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I agree with you. I can’t imagine FCA approving a new transmission based on a dealer tech reporting it was over filled at the factory unless FCA is already aware of the problem. But what do I know?

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
At least your getting a new transmission.

Sponsored

OP
OP
UnicornCinnamon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Update: I got a new transmission in July! I immediately noticed when I picked it up that it sounded like a normal engine/transmission unlike the one that my Jeep was built with. So far, so good!

Unfortunately I'm having intermittent problems with my radio/entertainment center/whatever it's called. This is in addition to the other problems I've had fixed (all brakes replaced due to squeaking, back armrest replaced because it wouldn't latch, front armrest replaced due to latch issues). I love my Jeep, but I'm disappointed in the quality.

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Update: I got a new transmission in July! I immediately noticed when I picked it up that it sounded like a normal engine/transmission unlike the one that my Jeep was built with. So far, so good!

Unfortunately I'm having intermittent problems with my radio/entertainment center/whatever it's called. This is in addition to the other problems I've had fixed (all brakes replaced due to squeaking, back armrest replaced because it wouldn't latch, front armrest replaced due to latch issues). I love my Jeep, but I'm disappointed in the quality.
You were able to get the squeaking brakes fixed? I took mine in and they said it’s normal. Mine squeak anytime I back out of the garage and the Jeep has sat for longer than an hour or so. Was your brake problem similar?

W1ck3d

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon
The transmission is not filled at the factory... Probably quick to change it so they can charge the warranty work to the supplier for the $$$

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
You were able to get the squeaking brakes fixed? I took mine in and they said it’s normal. Mine squeak anytime I back out of the garage and the Jeep has sat for longer than an hour or so. Was your brake problem similar?
Mine also squeaks like a banshee all day every day, especially when cold. Took it to the dealer two times, each time they gave it back to me and told me it’s normal.

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Mine also squeaks like a banshee all day every day, especially when cold. Took it to the dealer two times, each time they gave it back to me and told me it’s normal.
To add to the frustration, this is our fourth Wrangler and probably 50th vehicle, and none have had squeaky brakes.
Sponsored