Sponsored

Dealer installed Smart Brakelight...

Kllrbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hey guys,
Im still new here. Have only had my JLR since Wednesday. Im still just getting familiar with it. Came from a Power Wagon, so its quite different. Airing down on the AT KO2s to 35psi from the 42psi the dealer had in there helped alot.
Anyways, I just thought Id post this in case anyone in the future has am issue with a dealer installed Smart Brakelight. This silly thing is part of a "safety package" they try to sell for $2500. I know, ridiculous cost. I didnt pay anything for it, but it includes this brakelight, key replacement, wheel locks, windshield repair, roadside assistance, couple oil changes, and car washes. Basically useless.
I guess this Smart brakelight is more common for motorcycles as it pulses 4-5 times before going solid during braking, as well as deceleration.
My coworker was behind me the other night driving home from work on his bike and he said this thing was flashing alot. Said he thought it was more "confusing" than helpful. I have the 6spd manual, and while Im not a big downshift engine braker, Im more of a coaster. It really depends on the situation. But he said it would pulse each and every time I would slow down.
I quickly decided that I didnt want this.

So after popping off the inside tailgate panel which is very easy with a small pry bar to get it started, I could see where this was jumped in. It has those clip on type connectors with a female end. 3 wires from the "chip" with male end plugs right into those. At first, I just unplugged it and threw it in the glove box. But then the light didnt work at all. So I plugged it back in and reversed the order of the wires while keeping the neutral (black) wire the same.
Now, it stays solid during braking as it should normally operate.

Long story short...if your dealer is an idiot like mine is and installs this idiotic light, tell them to uninstall it before you take posesdion of the vehicle. Otherwise, it is very easy to bypass by just swapping the 2 colored wires.
Sponsored

jjiswhoiam

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Mojito! 2.0t, 2016 Lexus RC350 F-sport
Hey guys,
Im still new here. Have only had my JLR since Wednesday. Im still just getting familiar with it. Came from a Power Wagon, so its quite different. Airing down on the AT KO2s to 35psi from the 42psi the dealer had in there helped alot.
Anyways, I just thought Id post this in case anyone in the future has am issue with a dealer installed Smart Brakelight. This silly thing is part of a "safety package" they try to sell for $2500. I know, ridiculous cost. I didnt pay anything for it, but it includes this brakelight, key replacement, wheel locks, windshield repair, roadside assistance, couple oil changes, and car washes. Basically useless.
I guess this Smart brakelight is more common for motorcycles as it pulses 4-5 times before going solid during braking, as well as deceleration.
My coworker was behind me the other night driving home from work on his bike and he said this thing was flashing alot. Said he thought it was more "confusing" than helpful. I have the 6spd manual, and while Im not a big downshift engine braker, Im more of a coaster. It really depends on the situation. But he said it would pulse each and every time I would slow down.
I quickly decided that I didnt want this.

So after popping off the inside tailgate panel which is very easy with a small pry bar to get it started, I could see where this was jumped in. It has those clip on type connectors with a female end. 3 wires from the "chip" with male end plugs right into those. At first, I just unplugged it and threw it in the glove box. But then the light didnt work at all. So I plugged it back in and reversed the order of the wires while keeping the neutral (black) wire the same.
Now, it stays solid during braking as it should normally operate.

Long story short...if your dealer is an idiot like mine is and installs this idiotic light, tell them to uninstall it before you take posesdion of the vehicle. Otherwise, it is very easy to bypass by just swapping the 2 colored wires.
I have that annoying pulsing light on my brake light as well. I wasn’t sure where this device is, but not that I know, I’ll be doing the same

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
I'm going the other way, I'm just about to install one on my JL. I had one on my JK previously. We tow our Wrangler behind our motorhome and you would be surprised at the number of people who will tailgate you while towing. I'll take any advantage to grab someone's attention so they don't rear end me. The couple quick flashes on the 3rd brake light is a lot less annoying than the eyeball burning LED lights that a lot of people are running.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I've used brake light modulators for 20+ years on my motorcycles, where the application & effectiveness of that technology makes sense. My experience bears this out.

Infrequently, I've seen the same tech, and the related "smart" brake light modules (which incorporate a deceleration sensor, as mentioned) on vehicles, where it comes off as distracting and arguably unnecessary.

"Safety package". lol What won't dealers do for a buck these days?
Sponsored