dealer installed aux switches

FastDNA

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Has anyone had their dealer install the aux switches that are part of the towing package. I regret not getting this package.
Sponsored

Wildmank99

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 xj and 18 JL rubicon
Occupation
Military
Has anyone had their dealer install the aux switches that are part of the towing package. I regret not getting this package.

Yes I had the dealer install mine since the jeep didn’t have it in it. They charged me normal price for the switches and 1 hr labor which included the flash. I thought the 1 hour labor including the flash was worth the deal.

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
love it!!!!!!!!!!! No more having to buy a Spod

Sponsored

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Ouch, hope that $300 includes the flash. Even still it seems high. My dealer quoted me $200 to install the full HD Towing Eletrical package (i.e. hitch, aux buttons and alternator).

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
Ouch, hope that $300 includes the flash. Even still it seems high. My dealer quoted me $200 to install the full HD Towing Eletrical package (i.e. hitch, aux buttons and alternator).
How much are all those parts combined? $200 labor cost seems reasonable since many other members reported 7pin hitch wire is quite difficult to install.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
How much are all those parts combined? $200 labor cost seems reasonable since many other members reported 7pin hitch wire is quite difficult to install.
The cost of the package is $750+, but comes out to $800 ish (tax, etc.) - Overall, would be about $1k.

The aux kit itself is $300 something, but I don't know what their upgraded alternator runs... Not having to deal with ripping my front panel off (though after watching the video, doesn't seem too bad) and having everything covered under my warranty makes it worth it to me though.

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
Public Safety & Legal Consultant
If I may add my 2 cents worth. Over the years I have wired a lot of vehicles (I grew up in the business, now I do it for fun), including all of my own Jeeps and other POVs, as well as a number of public-safety vehicles. From what I have seen in the Jeep world, I think a number of these aftermarket switch controls, while cool, are highly over-priced (like SPOD), and all of my Jeeps are either wired with my own home-made switches or one of the available commercial public-safety switch boxes (these days I'm lazy so I use the boxes). If I could suggest, you folks might want to take a look at a couple of these (links posted below; I have no financial interest in any of these and the links are simply for reference and viewing).

On my '16 JKU, I am currently using the Whelen PCC8R, with the switch head mounted to the left of the steering wheel against the dash (3M "hook & loop"), and the control box mounted under the front seat (easily connected anywhere in the vehicle you want to mount). [When I get back to Wisconsin if anyone wants pictures, I will take them and post them.] The one "downside" is that both the Whelen and the Able 2 control boxes are not weatherproof, so they must be mounted in the cab and protected from water intrusion (or in my case, snow! On my '08 JKU, since sold, I put the box behind the glovebox. On my current '16 JKU, I cut a 13"x13" flat 3/4" board, removed the passenger seat, and mounted everything there, then put back the seat). Now the really good part, both of these boxes complete are in the $200 or less category (shop around online). In addition, they do away with the need for expensive light wiring/relay kits, as the control box has built-in relays (I posted below a company description). On my '16 JKU, I run four Lightforce driving lights (not LED) and bring the wires (for each pair) straight back from the light to the control box without the need for the Lightforce optional $40+ wiring kit. Essentially, this will work with any light that does not exceed the power rating described below (if you are using LEDs, as long as the total current draw doesn't exceed the rating, you will be just fine even with multiple lights). I programmed one of the switches to "momentary activated" for an air horn and also run siren and emergency light functions on other PCC8R outputs (I'm also a volunteer medic). Both boxes are great; I use the Able 2 switch/siren set-up on my Durango, but slightly prefer the PCC8R.

FWIW, on all vehicles I bring a master run (8 gauge) from the battery to a Havis Chargeguard and then distribute from there (I don't touch the vehicle wiring). The adjustable Chargeguard has the ability to automatically shut off all of my toys (lights, two-way radios, scanners, etc.) at whatever time I set it for (generally 30 minutes after ignition off). Prevents any parasitic draw, as well.

The Whelen 8 Function Power Control Center (PCC8R) has a basic, eight position key pad with remote relay box, ideal for DOT, Tow and Wrecker vehicles. The LED backlighted membrane switches are designed with a solid rubber overlay for moisture resistance. Each switch is programmable for push-on/push-off or momentary activation. This eight function control center comes with three 20 amp relays and five 10 amp relays.

https://www.amazon.com/Whelen-Position-Remote-Module-PCC8R/dp/B01CIMOJHW

http://www.able2products.com/update/31_8040_v1.htm

https://www.swps.com/31-8040.html

http://www.havis.com/catalog/Auto_Shut_Off_Timers-923-1.html

Good luck!

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
My dealer charges 135 per hr. thats so much. you can rack up a lot labor before you know it at that rate

Sponsored

jnutz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
You can find the aux kit a lot cheaper on allmoparparts.com

Was 200-something. I haven’t installed mine yet, maybe this weekend.

jnutz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Called yesterday to get a quote and they had no idea what I was talking about. Explained to the service department in slow detailed info and I can just picture him on the other side scratching his head.

The install looks pretty simple but the reflash plus warranty is what I’m after.

dbtran

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Is there supposed to be a new app in the settings page? Anyone with a picture of what its supposed to look like? Had my aux bank installed at dealer for $375 but not sure if they flashed my system. I hooked up Rigid cube lights and they work great.

jnutz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Is there supposed to be a new app in the settings page? Anyone with a picture of what its supposed to look like? Had my aux bank installed at dealer for $375 but not sure if they flashed my system. I hooked up Rigid cube lights and they work great.
I had read that in one of these threads. Kinda like controlling your seat warmers. There’s the dash button and one on the Uconnect.

dbtran

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
I had read that in one of these threads. Kinda like controlling your seat warmers. There’s the dash button and one on the Uconnect.
Yeah I don't have anything on the Uconnect screen. Guess they didn't flash it. Need to take it back. Cube lights work though.
Sponsored