Sponsored

Dealer has to disassemble engine... should I worry?

MrBell

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping for JL
In one year of ownership, my $56K JL has been towed twice to the dealer for major problems. A few months back my Wrangler completely shut down while driving... it went dark. Turned out a fuse bar was incorrectly installed at the factory, cracked and failed. Thankfully I was not driving on the freeway, which could have been very dangerous. Fast forward to Thursday when I discovered pink fluid pouring/draining from the engine compartment all over my garage floor. Called FCA roadside assistance who wanted $125 to tow it to the dealer. I explained my Jeep was under warranty and that towing was included. After a few minutes of arguing with the agent she finally agreed to tow it to my dealer, no charge. This afternoon I received a call from the Service Advisor informing me they can't find the source of the leak and they'd have to disassemble half the engine to determine the source. "Wow" was all I could say.

Will a reassembled engine be reliable? Should I worry?
Sponsored

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
They can't find the source of a leak that you described as pouring from your engine and their solution is a complete tear down? If so, then yes worry, worry a lot.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
In one year of ownership, my $56K JL has been towed twice to the dealer for major problems. A few months back my Wrangler completely shut down while driving... it went dark. Turned out a fuse bar was incorrectly installed at the factory, cracked and failed. Thankfully I was not driving on the freeway, which could have been very dangerous. Fast forward to Thursday when I discovered pink fluid pouring/draining from the engine compartment all over my garage floor. Called FCA roadside assistance who wanted $125 to tow it to the dealer. I explained my Jeep was under warranty and that towing was included. After a few minutes of arguing with the agent she finally agreed to tow it to my dealer, no charge. This afternoon I received a call from the Service Advisor informing me they can't find the source of the leak and they'd have to disassemble half the engine to determine the source. "Wow" was all I could say.

3.6L or 2.0L?

Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
When a service advisor says "disassemble half of the engine" it probably means they have to remove a bunch of hoses, maybe the A/C compressor, stuff like that.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
So, the 2.0 BSG/E-torque has three different cooling systems, which one is leaking?

Gregj

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
When a service advisor says "disassemble half of the engine" it probably means they have to remove a bunch of hoses, maybe the A/C compressor, stuff like that.
Yeah, this is why I asked engine type.

On the 2.0L lots of cooling system complexity as 3 different systems. So they likely mean pulling off a bunch of the accessories to get access to see where it is coming from.

When you had the leak in the garage did it appear to be more on passenger side up behind front passenger wheel?

The other point is the 2.0L is not dealership rebuildable. If a problem internally they replace the long block assembly. So they will not be "opening the engine" up.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Christopher @MrBell :

Sorry to hear of your heartache.

Maybe these two videos might be of use or interest to you:

OP
OP
MrBell

MrBell

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping for JL

On the 2.0L lots of cooling system complexity as 3 different systems. So they likely mean pulling off a bunch of the accessories to get access to see where it is coming from.

When you had the leak in the garage did it appear to be more on passenger side up behind front passenger wheel?

The other point is the 2.0L is not dealership rebuildable. If a problem internally they replace the long block assembly. So they will not be "opening the engine" up.
The leak appeared to be coming from the center, underneath the engine. At first I thought it might be transmission fluid.

Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer

The dealer would replace any motor with a long block. They don't rebuild engines any more.
The cooling systems aren't very complex because they are separate and have separate duties. Engine, batteries, and intercooler. I think the coolants are different colors. So that could help. I don't know which is which though. :)

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
The dealer would replace any motor with a long block. They don't rebuild engines any more.
The cooling systems aren't very complex because they are separate and have separate duties. Engine, batteries, and intercooler. I think the coolants are different colors. So that could help. I don't know which is which though. :)
The battery is pink - know that much.

A dealer will service the top end of a 3.6L Penta, but if problem in the short-block would order a replacement.

For the 2.0L it is the entire long-block.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Manual says all three use OAT coolant that meets MS.90032. If coolant was “pouring out” one of the reservoirs should be low. At least you would know which system was leaking. Given that the intercooler and battery have low pressure caps (5 psi) pretty sure it’s the engine leaking.
Gregj

FormerF150Owner

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Sienna, Jeep JKU 2016, ordered 2 door JL 2021 on 8/10/2020

I would ask the dealer if they had any concerns and of course they will tell you how reliable everything will be after the rebuild.
When they tell you that, let them know you want a lifetime warranty. Since they don't have any concerns, they shouldn't hesitate to give you that warranty.