Dealer forgot to put oil plug back on

Freddyb17

First Name
Freddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Today I went to Jeep dealer on route 18 in East Brunswick NJ for a routine oil change. As I was driving home on the highway for about 6 miles, I noticed smoke coming out of my Jeep from the rear. I pulled over and checked my oil pressure, which was low. The check engine light came on, however, my jeep is only two years old with about 15,000 miles. I then checked to see if any oil was leaking out from underneath my car and it was. The oil was basically fully drained from my Jeep. It turned out that they forgot to put the oil plug back on after changing the oil. Luckily, there was a tow truck not far behind me and he was able to tow my car back to the dealership. When I returned to the dealership, the person at the front desk apologized several times, but the technician did not make any comments regarding the issue. The person working at the front desk stated that they would take care of the tow fees, oil spill underneath the vehicle, a new oil change and filter, and address the check engine light. At this point, I don’t know what damage has been done to my jeep and if there are any things that need to be replaced such as the motor etc... has anyone had a similar experience like this or what you do in this situation? Need some feedback. Thank you
Sponsored

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
I would think nearly all the oil would have already drained out before you even got in it if they forgot the plug. I don't see how a tech could have missed this.

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Sorry to hear of the issues.

FWIW, if the engine has been run with low/no oil and without oil pressure, there has been some degradation to the engine. Pull the filter and see if there are some metal particles.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
This is way to common and not acceptable. That said, it’s done. Historically what we’ve seen is the dealer change the oil and give the jeep back to the owner after cleaning the oil up.

my suggestion is to document the issue and have an oil sample taken before the next oil change to see if there’s unusual wear metals in there indicative of damaged bearings or other internal engine parts

brett

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Today I went to Jeep dealer on route 18 in East Brunswick NJ for a routine oil change. As I was driving home on the highway for about 6 miles, I noticed smoke coming out of my Jeep from the rear. I pulled over and checked my oil pressure, which was low. The check engine light came on, however, my jeep is only two years old with about 15,000 miles. I then checked to see if any oil was leaking out from underneath my car and it was. The oil was basically fully drained from my Jeep. It turned out that they forgot to put the oil plug back on after changing the oil. Luckily, there was a tow truck not far behind me and he was able to tow my car back to the dealership. When I returned to the dealership, the person at the front desk apologized several times, but the technician did not make any comments regarding the issue. The person working at the front desk stated that they would take care of the tow fees, oil spill underneath the vehicle, a new oil change and filter, and address the check engine light. At this point, I don’t know what damage has been done to my jeep and if there are any things that need to be replaced such as the motor etc... has anyone had a similar experience like this or what you do in this situation? Need some feedback. Thank you
That's terrible. Get them to compensate for engine damage. Get an independent place to evaluate the damage. If this happened to me, I'd not settle for anything less than an engine replacement under warranty.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Freddyb17

First Name
Freddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
I would think nearly all the oil would have already drained out before you even got in it if they forgot the plug. I don't see how a tech could have missed this.
It had to be a new tech. When I stopped to check it was still spilling out oil. When I got back to dealer it was empty

OP
OP

Freddyb17

First Name
Freddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Sorry to hear of the issues.

FWIW, if the engine has been run with low/no oil and without oil pressure, there has been some degradation to the engine. Pull the filter and see if there are some metal particles.
I told them to save oil filter and oil if possible. I definitely want to inspect everything possible.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Still spilling is good, but I'm sure there was some degree of bearing damage, probaly not much since oil was still draining out. More than likely your engine will be okay. The plug was probably finger tight and worked loose or it would have been pouring oil on the dealer's lot before you drove off. Make sure that everything about the incident is documented, printed and signed. Get the service and general manager involved. They need to steam clean underneath, not just use Simple Green and rags. The next oil change, get a sample to send to Blackstone Labs.

OP
OP

Freddyb17

First Name
Freddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Still spilling is good, but I'm sure there was some degree of bearing damage, probaly not much since oil was still draining out. More than likely your engine will be okay. The plug was probably finger tight and worked loose or it would have been pouring oil on the dealer's lot before you drove off. Make sure that everything about the incident is documented, printed and signed. Get the service and general manager involved. They need to steam clean underneath, not just use Simple Green and rags. The next oil change, get a sample to send to Blackstone Labs.
Could be the case. When I stopped it was still leaking. When I got it on tow truck it was done for. I’m definitely going to dealer Monday since that’s when they will do all the work supposedly. I’ll make sure they steam clean the oil because detail is what they told me.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
If they just wipe it clean, you will drip oil on the driveway for days if not weeks, from all of the places it got blown into. You're lucky you stopped right away and got towed. Driving it back would have probably caused serious damage.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Had to have been a loose oil pan plug and fell out as you drove. If they truly forgot to put it in they would have spilt oil everywhere when they filled it back up.

I'd do as suggested - get a oil analysis next change. Also push the dealership for a free extended warranty on the engine - which will be a drivetrain warranty.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Freddyb17

First Name
Freddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
If they just wipe it clean, you will drip oil on the driveway for days if not weeks, from all of the places it got blown into. You're lucky you stopped right away and got towed. Driving it back would have probably caused serious damage.
Yea I bet. Ima make sure they steam clean it I’ll have to call in Monday morning. Thank god I didn’t drive back cause that’s what they wanted me to do I told them I put in to much money in my Jeep to drive it and have it break down it’s definitely getting towed

OP
OP

Freddyb17

First Name
Freddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Had to have been a loose oil pan plug and fell out as you drove. If they truly forgot to put it in they would have spilt oil everywhere when they filled it back out.

I'd do as suggested - get a oil analysis next change. Also push the dealership for a free extended warranty on the engine - which will be a drivetrain warranty.
Definitely asking for a extended drive train warranty and oil analysis everyone telling me to do so will do thank you

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Expedition, Escape
Correct, if they forgot the plug, the oil would have drained out as they filled it. What is likely is that they did not tighten up the oil plug, probably just put in enough to stop the oil from coming out while they filled it, and it fell off due to the vibration of the engine and road. But if they forgot to put the plug in they would have had a puddle under the vehicle.

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I had a similar issue with another brand a few years back. I made them do a compression check on each cylinder, which turned out fine. Never had an issue but only kept the vehicle about two years after that.
Sponsored