Sponsored

Dealer forgot to collect correct down payment and are now retroactively asking me to pay - options?

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Interestingly enough I got a call from my out of state dealer today - 6 days after closed finance deal and sale, they left a message saying they didn't collect the correct down payment, they got $3000 instead of $3500. I didn't notice myself prior to the call, but had a hell of a lot of other massive headaches related to miscommunications between sales and finance that are going to cause me big headaches going forward (they applied for my loan in the wrong state, and now I've got to register my jeep in MA even though I live in CA before I can switch it over for good?), plus this dealer has an $899 "dealer fee" and $400 doc fee as well as installed an aftermarket alarm system undisclosed to me until it was a bit too late. They also kept popping the sale price of the vehicle up on the worksheets from 44,800 to 45,000 multiple times - minor, but I shouldn't have to keep calling them out on it. Also had an issue with that aftermarket alarm once they gave me the car for the night since they couldn't close the deal that night. I drove to a friend's where I'd be staying the night and the alarm went into full on berserk mode once I parked, waking up the whole neighborhood for an hour plus since they didn't properly disable the dealer mode that prevents thefts off the lot. So needless to say I didn't leave super thrilled with the whole experience.

Am I absolutely obligated to reconnect with them and pay the additional $500, or is this on them for blowing it? They're out of state and I won't be returning to them for any reason otherwise. The fact that I'm not an ***hole makes we want to do this smoothly, but the experience I had makes me hesitate.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
My opinion. If the sales contract stated you put down 3500 and you gave them 3000 and signed that contract, I’d say you’re responsible. If they had 3k and you paid 3k I think you have a leg to stand on to not pay

Brett

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
so when you register it in California your going to pay for registration again and I agree with the above post what does the paperwork say

melman8r

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sarge Green JLR
Sounds like a big headache, I went Saturday to finalize a deal, the price changed, so I walked out. Looking back, you probably should have too!

OP
OP
jessedacri

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, that was easy - pulled out the documents, paperwork does indeed say $3500 down and I have a receipt for $3000 paid on my card. The down payment was up in the air throughout the deal and I was jumping between leasing and buying so things got hairy at the end. I ended up just calling them and submitting the additional $500 so that both ends of the deal are without conflict. Rather not have headaches due to this.

Sounds like a big headache, I went Saturday to finalize a deal, the price changed, so I walked out. Looking back, you probably should have too!
I was thinking about it - I drove my trade in 6 hours to AZ but wasn't opposed to bailing on the Jeep if it came down to it. At the end of the day I was still getting around 5% under invoice so I felt like I'd rather just get it all over with and be enjoying the Jeep.

Sponsored

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
ouch you do know in California since it was bought and registered in another state and the car is less then 1 year old you will end up paying sales tax again. it was put in place to stop people in the 80s from buying cars in Nevada. Nevada had only 4% sales tax almost half of California's 7.25% at the time.

OP
OP
jessedacri

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ouch you do know in California since it was bought and registered in another state and the car is less then 1 year old you will end up paying sales tax again. it was put in place to stop people in the 80s from buying cars in Nevada. Nevada had only 4% sales tax almost half of California's 7.25% at the time.
They told me CA is a reciprocal state where sales tax paid in the deal is recognized and you pay the difference upon registration, is this not correct? I have a 90 day drive-off temporary plate from the dealer and I signed a bunch of stuff affirming that I wouldn't register it in AZ.

I am going to one of those private DMV services next week to try and sort this out - my goal is to just skip the MA registration thing as the car will be in that state and register it for the first time in CA. My license is still MA but I spend 75% of my time in California so I haven't gotten around to switching it just yet.

Robs JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
My buddy just learned the hard way. He moved from florida and his car was less than a year old and now has to pay $4k in taxes. I told him to just keep the registration with florida since in 2 months it'll be over 1 year but he already contacted his insurance and had to make the switch.

Digiwolf

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Deal is incomplete, options are return the jeep to the dealer or pay $500. If I were you I would pick the first one, afterwards I would be very certain they would let the $500 go over a returned vehicle.

Gellie

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
After market alarm? A new Jeep doesn’t come with an alarm? Jeez didn’t know they still made them!

Cdnjeep

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
They told me CA is a reciprocal state where sales tax paid in the deal is recognized and you pay the difference upon registration, is this not correct? I have a 90 day drive-off temporary plate from the dealer and I signed a bunch of stuff affirming that I wouldn't register it in AZ.

I am going to one of those private DMV services next week to try and sort this out - my goal is to just skip the MA registration thing as the car will be in that state and register it for the first time in CA. My license is still MA but I spend 75% of my time in California so I haven't gotten around to switching it just yet.

You are correct. When I moved to Cali last year and had to register my car that I bought 6 months prior, I had to pay taxes on the difference of NJ rates vs California rates. So an extra 2.5% tax..

I registered my car with AAA and they didn't seem to care what I paid for the car.. (They never asked for a receipt) so IF I told them I bought the car for $5000, i'd only pay the difference in tax between NJ and Cali at $5K.. (I was honest thought and gave full value)..
Sponsored