Sponsored

Dealer destroyed my front bumper and fender --Please help

SunriseJeep

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited (ordered)
After an oil change at the dealership, I was waiting for someone to pull up my wrangler, then the service manger came by and started apologizing for an incident. Apparently, the guy put it in 1st gear instead of reverse and hit a wall. :angry::angry:

Needless to say, they will replace the fender and front bumper. I don't see any paint damages, HOWEVER on the last picture, it shows the steal support for the bumper is bent. Dealer said they will bent it back.
The manager promised they will put on new fender and bumper, and this won't reflect on carfax history report as an accident.
So I do have some questions and would love to hear opinions from fellow members:
1. Should I be concerned regarding the bent of bumper support? Is it considered a "frame damage"?
2. Will this show up on carfax history?
3. Is it too much to ask for a Rubicon steel bumper as replacement? or for extended warranties/ service packages?

IMG_20180628_190933.jpg

IMG_20180628_191004.jpg

IMG_20180628_191012.jpg

IMG_20180628_190947.jpg
They should do more than just fix it. They are causing you inconvenience and anything that was damaged should be replaced, not just repaired. I would be really upset if all they were doing is fixing it. That is the bare minimum of what they are obligated to do. They are probably offering you that to see if you will accept it and not call your insurance company to go after their insurance company. You could get it fixed somewhere else and make them pay for it. Just my opinion.
Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure why you quoted me on this subject? My suggestion was the OP pay the difference in cost between the plastic and metal front bumper. The dealership already has to do the labor.
Like I said not picking on anyone in particular so no offense intended, guess I hit the reply linky on your post.

TheBrandon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't read this entire thread but this would really piss me off. I get that accidents happen but damn. I would be surprised if this doesn't show up on a CarFax but this depends on how they proceed with repairs. If they are going through their insurance and their insurance reports to carfax you are taking a monetary hit. Most insurance companies do these days.

If you are buying this exact same Jeep sitting next to an identical Jeep, configuration, color everything and one has a Carfax hit and they are the same price, which one are you buying? Not the one with an accident report.

Because of this they now have diminished the value of your Jeep. I would have a face to face on what the back end process is. In 90 or 120 days pull a CarFax. If you see it there, it went through their insurance I would open a Diminished Value insurance claim through their insurance.

When people spout crap like someone is trying to take advantage of and accident is just so short sighted and ignorant it is mind blowing. Protect yourself and investment. Your vehicle should be exactly the same as it was before the accident. This literally includes what you could lose when trading it in.

My personal take on this, if they are not reporting to CarFax and you get it 100% repaired to the way it was you're good. I wouldn't ask for any more or any less. If its hitting CarFax, throat to boot so you don't get screwed.

OP
OP
zyt

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
Any update on the resolution?
No updates yet. Dealer is still waiting for parts to come in, ETA early August.
They are going to do the bare minimum to fix. In this case, I did ask them to fix it exactly to what it look like before.
1. Remove the bumper/fender insert (Sports bumper) and trim out a cover out of it to cover the back of fog light housing. Also smoothing out the edges.
2. Transfer my off-road light to the new bumper

I also mentioned if they replace the damaged bumper with a Rubicon PLASTIC bumper, they don't have to do steps 1 or 2. I will just re-wire the lights myself, but they start to play games of can not find part numbers on Rubicon plastic bumper.
Hopefully the dealership is competence to handle these 2 requests.

Sponsored

YaThatAintRight

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon "THE LLAMA"
Occupation
Automotive Instructional Designer
Not sure you'd head the advice but you really need to re-evaluate just running this through your insurance. Why wait around until August and let the dealer half ass it, when you can take it to a top level bodyshop and have it repaired sooner and with a much higher level of quality. You are really setting yourself up here for a lot more hassle by letting them work around an insurance claim to absolutely no benefit to yourself.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Body shop won't get parts any faster.

Sdchrisc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep jl sahara
Asking for a metal bumper would be pushing it. Asking for a credit equal to what they would pay for the replacement bumper, then allowing you to apply that credit and pay the difference towards a metal bumper, would be more fair.
Time is money.. the inconvenience this causes you is worth a metal bumper replacememnt at no cost

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
The entitlement some have in this thread is ridiculous. All I'd ask is that they fix it so that I can't tell it was ever damaged. I consider it a fair trade that my slight inconvenience is covered by a much larger one for them. I guarantee that will generate a lot less stress than those getting out their pencils trying to tabulate damages and compensation and haggling with the dealer over it.

Maybe some people feel good about bending someone else over due to an accident, but I sure don't.
Guess you've never had somebody damage your vehicle love know to what you drive and what year it is

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Yep , and also the dealer turd doing the bending will be a moron , and he will leave a foul odor in your Jeep .

Better to choose your own body shop in the first place , collect the money for the damages , and pay for parts and body shop yourself ; and then find a good independent mechanic . "free" oil changes are a sick scam to trick you ; better to find a good independent mechanic .
If they write it up and give you the money on an estimate it's for sure going to go to Carfax. and trying to collect for diminished value is not going to be much at all.I know we had a brand new car with $16,000 damage and all we got was 2,500
it's going to be nothing on something like that. Get them to put a steel Rubicon bumper on it and fix it and ask for this in writing. That they will not turn it over to car fax and a warranty on all the work. Also have them give you the print out of the alignment that they did in the machine. That's a good deal and talk to the general manager of the dealership I always do trust me I always do if I have a problem and it gets taken care of immediately

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
If it was me...

Take the $ that the dealer would spend on parts and labor to fix.
Buy which ever bumper is desired.
If it was an OEM bumper that is desired, then go on CL and find a new take off (e.g., steel, Rubicon, plastic, etc.)
Buy a fender take off on CL.
Buy a pair of LED turn signals from this forum
Remove and inspect damage parts to see if there is any more damage.
Repair as necessary (charge the dealership for the extra work)
Install procured parts (either DIY, body shop, or dealership).
If this is incident is going to be on CarFax, then get depreciated value from the dealership.

Just a thought... and you might be able to keep a couple of $ for you troubles.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
If it was me...

Take the $ that the dealer would spend on parts and labor to fix.
Buy which ever bumper is desired.
If it was an OEM bumper that is desired, then go on CL and find a new take off (e.g., steel, Rubicon, plastic, etc.)
Buy a fender take off on CL.
Buy a pair of LED turn signals from this forum
Remove and inspect damage parts to see if there is any more damage.
Repair as necessary (charge the dealership for the extra work)
Install procured parts (either DIY, body shop, or dealership).
If this is incident is going to be on CarFax, then get depreciated value from the dealership.

Just a thought... and you might be able to keep a couple of $ for you troubles.
If you do that it will end up on Carfax for sure

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
If they write it up and give you the money on an estimate it's for sure going to go to Carfax. and trying to collect for diminished value is not going to be much at all.I know we had a brand new car with $16,000 damage and all we got was 2,500
it's going to be nothing on something like that. Get them to put a steel Rubicon bumper on it and fix it and ask for this in writing. That they will not turn it over to car fax and a warranty on all the work. Also have them give you the print out of the alignment that they did in the machine. That's a good deal and talk to the general manager of the dealership I always do trust me I always do if I have a problem and it gets taken care of immediately
This thread is two years old my guy...
Sponsored