Dealer Cussed me out over Survey!

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
I gave my Jeep dealer all 10's, I overall had agood experience but the finance guy raised the price on my to match the rough monthly payment the sales guy gave me. [I negotiated the price, not payment.] I noticed it when I got home, the dealer promptly sent me a check for $52 difference.

The last car I bought the fiance guy gave me a hassle, he tried three times to talk me into one of the warranty packages and even tried to sway my wife at the time against. Even after that he 'accidentally' gave me the popular package' since everyone gets it. On top of that he also starting using a different bank with a higher interest rate rather than the promotional 0% VW was offering. It was until I realize the car payment was $60 more than I was expecting that I started to look through the paperwork to figure out his mistakes. On the dealer survey, I didn't give the financing guy 10 rating, probably a 5. I got a call a week later from the GM telling me I should have contacted him to resolve this issue. He did not curse at me, but I could tell he was cranky. I just told him point blank his finance guy was pushing and he was sloppy with his paperwork, I told him he could not fix that portion of the transaction. He just hung up.
Sponsored

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Honestly if I was in your shoes and a dealer cussed me out, I'd find a way to leave another negative review, if not more, that would hurt them. I don't tolerate that crap, and I'd also tell the service manager just cause he's working doesn't give him the opportunity to talk however he wants. He won't always be at work. 😉

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
It was until I realize the car payment was $60 more than I was expecting that I started to look through the paperwork to figure out his mistakes.
"Mistakes", how come whenever I find "mistakes" in the finance guy's paperwork it is always in their favor. My last Jeep deal, the paperwork was spot-on (less $0.22). I was shocked. This may be the first time that I didn't run into "mistakes" in the finance office.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
"Mistakes", how come whenever I find "mistakes" in the finance guy's paperwork it is always in their favor. My last Jeep deal, the paperwork was spot-on (less $0.22). I was shocked. This may be the first time that I didn't run into "mistakes" in the finance office.
I don't have a problem with dealers making money in legitimate ways. Including selling vehicles at MSRP and not budging. The shit like you mention here is what gives dealers incredibly bad names deservedly. 99% of the "mistakes" are intentional and preying on the customer not noticing or saying anything about it. Kevin Hunter is a good watch on youtube regarding car sales. He too mentioned that "mistakes" are always heavily in the dealers favor. It's not a coincidence.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I don't have a problem with dealers making money in legitimate ways. Including selling vehicles at MSRP and not budging. The shit like you mention here is what gives dealers incredibly bad names deservedly. 99% of the "mistakes" are intentional and preying on the customer not noticing or saying anything about it. Kevin Hunter is a good watch on youtube regarding car sales. He too mentioned that "mistakes" are always heavily in the dealers favor. It's not a coincidence.
No doubt. I think a lot of salespeople try to deal in good faith, but when it moves to the Finance Manager and Sales Manager, they play a lot of games. I've annoyed a lot of finance guys, by reading the paperwork before signing it. I never deal in payments, always out the door price. I let the payments fall out from the OTD price. I also always have a finance deal in my back pocket with my credit union in case they try to play games in this zero interest rate environment.

Sponsored

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
No doubt. I think a lot of salespeople try to deal in good faith, but when it moves to the Finance Manager and Sales Manager, they play a lot of games. I've annoyed a lot of finance guys, by reading the paperwork before signing it. I never deal in payments, always out the door price. I let the payments fall out from the OTD price. I also always have a finance deal in my back pocket with my credit union in case they try to play games in this zero interest rate environment.
Everyone should take this advice.

hybrid3.0

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JGC
Anything beyond a perfect rating is like a fail for the dealership/individual and they miss out on financial incentives and bonuses for high marks. I always make it clear to individuals that I regularly work with (typically a service advisor) that I will give them top marks unless there is an issue and then I give them the opportunity to fix it prior to the review. I also will write their "praises" in when comments sections. I have found that the service advisors will go out of their way to help me once they realize that I will write-up good surveys for them. In times when I've had a problem, I've said 'I'd like to give you all 10's but I have an issue with the missing X"
and they always work to get me to the 10. Sometimes the carrot is better than the stick! Of course, another approach may be needed for low frequency interactions like with sales and finance people.

sfurash53

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Willys
I always give an honest review let the chips fall where they may.
We just bought a new jeep which we ordered from Central Jeep in Waterville Maine. The price was great at 5% under dealer cost, no doc fees which is dealer policy.
The sales guy was great gave me top dollar for my trade, no BS.
The finance guy told me about the extra warranty which I declined, he was like no problem out the door was as agreed and they took a personal check for the full price.
Couldn't ask for more.
Lastly another good place to put a revue for a bad experience is Dealer Rater.

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
Lastly another good place to put a revue for a bad experience is Dealer Rater.
Thanks for this - I wasn't aware of this site. Just looked up my dealer and 4.6/5 with 322 reviews. Falls in like with my experience - I'm going to leave a review there for them as my dealer's always been great to me.

2021Nacho

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlu Rubicon, 2015 Jk sport
Occupation
Semi-retired
This weekend I filled out a survey for a warranty repair. I didn't intend to do it, I know I deleted it at least once but they sent it again so I did it. This is not the dealership I purchased form as it's 5 hours away. This dealerships in the past ( I've been in 4 time?) treats you like who the hell are you and what the F$#@ do you want (service department). Said dealership rep literally laughed in my face in early 2020 when I asked to have my steering repaired, ya right was the response then changed the subject.
So I get a call this morning form the dealership manager and he proceeded to cuss my out over my servey. He wanted to know who. Well that's easy look at the case file see who handled. I told him you figure it, out at which point he goes off cussing me he even dropped th F Bomb on me and hangs up.
Now that is how you run a professional service department, the customer is always wrong.
This was the dealership Manager, very disappointing. I guess I'll need to get on a waiting list for a Ford Broncos.
I called jeep to thank them for the lovely conversation I had with my local dealerships. They were very nice, they didn't even cuss me for being unhappy with my very expensive, problem plagued JEEP!
Sounds like the experience I had at my dealer...only it was the finance guy that came out and threatened me. When the survey came I made sure to document every problem we had with the entire transaction. It didn't take long to hear back from the customer service department at the dealer....then I got a call from the dealership owner...he was very apologetic and refunded me the dealer prep fee...after all that I'll still not go back there...they had 1 chance and they blew it.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Thanks for this - I wasn't aware of this site. Just looked up my dealer and 4.6/5 with 322 reviews. Falls in like with my experience - I'm going to leave a review there for them as my dealer's always been great to me.
Which dealer do you use might I ask since we're in the general vicinity.

Columbia Chrysler?

Pete_the_JEEP

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I filled out a survey in regards to the dealer and my purchase experience. I didn't give top ratings to the dealership or salesperson. Reason being I was told I would be meeting with a certain salesperson when I called about it. (Covid and all) Upon arrival they told me that a different person would be helping me, and that she was a Jeep expert. I thought ok cool, my last Wrangler was a 2013, I want to know what's new and improved with the 2021. Well she didn't know anything about Wranglers. In fact I had to fill her in on what I knew. Since I knew this was the Jeep I wanted, and I was able to get the employee discount through my son-in-law, I knew what I was getting, and the buying process was very straight forward.
But I didn't feel it was right of the dealership to tell me that I was working with someone who was an "expert" and all she knew was how to sync a phone. Don't get me wrong, she was very nice and we got through the paperwork without any issues.
They did call later and asked about why I didn't give a high score and they did apologize. I also told them about the issues that everyone has with fuses not being seated properly and they should make that a part of their vehicle prep. They said they had never heard of any issues like that. I told them that there were at least 8-10 that weren't fully seated, and it's a known issue with Jeep owners.
We'll see how things go when I go in for my first "free" oil change and tire rotation.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
Every car I have ever bought, I have known more about the vehicle feature than the salesman. I don’t hold it against them. I have researched every purchase for months before stepping foot into a dealer. The Jeep salesman I had in my purchase was probably the most knowledgeable.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
They are evaluated too. I have had service writers suggest that I give them an exceptional score. Others call me when they I score them low. They deserve what they get.
I had a service manager throw shade at me when I came back for a new track bar; “are you gonna leave a bad review again?”. One of those emails the dealers send out for surveys. They deserve it most of the time.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I haven't had to take my Wrangler in for anything yet, but in general I've never been impressed with normal vehicle service departments.

My last 2 vehicles were BMWs and they treat you like royalty when you come in, even for the complimentary service (oil change, etc). Always get a loaner, no matter what, and they are very pleasant to deal with. Of course you pay for this in the purchase price, but it was nice anytime I had to go in there.

I even had a messed up locking lug nut that tire shop couldn't get off and they stripped my key. The service lady was very nice, went and got one of the master keys (made of actual hardened steel vs the slag the normal keys are made of) and had the service guy get it loose for me at 7pm. No charge for that either.

I dread having to take mine in for anything, hopefully it won't need to go in. I do my own oil changes and tire rotations too, not gonna let them do their "free" service and mess things up :)
Sponsored