First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon unlimited
Occupation
HVAC TECH
Took my 2019 to dealer after throwing 35's on it. Got me for $158 to flash computer, yet only done speedo, claiming they can't reprogram transmission or tpms on 18 and newer jeeps. Anybody else hear this story
Sponsored

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Just guessing here Nelson, but reprogramming the tranny may void the warranty. Just a SWAG, hopefully someone can clarify that for me. For the life of me though I can't understand why they can't reset the TPMS. I mean they are the same ones that came with the Jeep, right? And even if they're not, they should be able to set 'em for you.

Drop the name of the dealer so others here from the Tar Heel state will know not to depend on them if needed.

OP
OP

NC-ruby

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon unlimited
Occupation
HVAC TECH
Yes sir, nothing else changed but tire size. Dealer claimed I needed to have computer flashed to accept new tire size, as well as transmission. His words, service supervisor, that is

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Calibration of the speedo and transmission is the same operation, there is no separate operation for calibrating the transmission. You tell the Jeep what the new tire size is and everything uses that data. There is also no calibration of TPMS, all you can do is change the threshold of when the warnings come on, down to a minimum of 22lbs. Be aware with some aftermarket wheels, not all, you will have a TPMS warning for the rest of your life, it has to do with different offsets and backspacing. Some wheels push the TPMS sensors too far away from the vehicle sensors, mine still reads correctly but the warning is always displayed on my dash because it gets a weak signal and thinks I have a tire sensor going bad.

Sponsored

OP
OP

NC-ruby

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon unlimited
Occupation
HVAC TECH
I'm running stock wheels for now, build is on stairsteps per the wife. Lol. Guess I'll look into aftermarket for tool to do other changes. Options help ???

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I'm running stock wheels for now, build is on stairsteps per the wife. Lol. Guess I'll look into aftermarket for tool to do other changes. Options help ???
I went with superchips, Tazer is another option. However all you need to do right now is change your TPMS threshold and I believe there are much cheaper options out there. Think future mods when you buy though, i got the superchip because after I do my axle swaps i will need to turn off FAD, and change my gear ratios, possibly my transfer case ratios if I go with an aftermarket TC. I also like that it allowed me to enable one touch lane change signaling, turn off the seat belt nag, and I can set my lights to LEDs when I upgrade and not have to add diodes to prevent hyper-flashing. I can also temporarily bump up my idle speed during winching operations. The options are too many to list, and the tazer can do just as many. Look at the different options available and think about what you will be doing in the future with your jeep before buying.

Last edited:

FirecrackerRedJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Took my 2019 to dealer after throwing 35's on it. Got me for $158 to flash computer, yet only done speedo, claiming they can't reprogram transmission or tpms on 18 and newer jeeps. Anybody else hear this story
why do you think you need your TCM programmed? if you only did 35s it doesn't matter it only starts changing when you mix in different gears into the software update. and tpms shouldn't even be in the conversation unless you mean changing the threshold for psi.

Roadglide

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I put on 35's and my TPMS light came on for two tires. Dealer flashed it for FREE. Your speedo is barely off when adding 35's, why bother??

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You don’t reprogram the transmission. It learns on its own. The TPMS sounds dumb though.

LBK454

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I just want through this when I went to 315 tires. My dealer said they could do tire size but not TPMS threshold . From my previous Jeep and the new JL, the chalk test showed 30 psi was perfect for the 315’s. The factory TPMS threshold is something like 32-33 psi, so running 30 psi the TPMS warning light was on all the time. I got tired of messing with the dealer and bought a Flashcal and did my 315 tires and set my TPMS threshold at 26 psi. Done deal.
Sponsored