David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I see the FWP on my order is $47,250.00 MSRP is $50,010.00 and FP is $45,088.00 so from what you are saying the 13% below list would have been 6500.00 off whereas i was only getting 5K off? I had no idea? thought the EP was the best price period! so I am learning something here for sure. however Jeep in all their arrogance has raised the price of the 2021 several thousand dollars over that 50K 2020 model year MSRP..... Most any Jeep dealer I ever spoke with are stuck up bastards. Ask more than one question and they are done with you. so glad Ford is building that Bronco. Not in love with the idea of a Ford but they are forcing me to them. and I love my Jeep. but why support these terrible dealers. plus they are not even American owned, as A Detroiter, that means something to me.
It depends some on model, trim, and incentives. If you search the forum you can find a few dealers around the country where people routinely order at 7-8% below FWP. These dealers seem to be on the coasts. You were at 4.5% below FWP which is a good deal without having to travel and if the dealer didn't get you on the back end of the deal with some hidden fees.

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
As a salesman at a Porsche dealer for a long time.. I can assure you, the management didn't even know about the order. The salesman screwed up, took a deposit, and forgot to order the car with everything going on, no malice intended. The poor managers most likely never even had a clue.

I agree that the Manager should get back you promptly after they learned of what was happening.

It doesn't lessen the blow, but again, being in the business, it is solely 100% on the salesperson for not placing the order. Not sure I would call them a criminal enterprise... but that's not my call. I'm sure they will refund your deposit- things are very difficult for us right now, along with many others.

BadWolf

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Sarge Green)
Its almost like Jeep dealers don't want to sell vehicles.

Like their business plan relies on irritating customers and alienating people. Strange.
There is a 2020 JLUR online at a dealership about an hour away. I figured since it was the color I wanted and had all but one option I wanted, they might be willing to deal to get rid of it (has been on their online inventory since January) and I wouldn't have to wait and order a 2021 if blue becomes available again. I clicked on the "Request E-price" and filled out information (name, email, etc.). I received an email not 5 minutes later that said the person who handles online sales would be in contact with me within 24 hours. After 10 days I received another email asking if I had any further questions, but I had never been contacted by phone or email. My reply was simple and to the point "No one called, no one emailed, I am no longer interested!"

So once again, I am waiting to see if blue becomes available again on 2021. But that dealership will not be given a chance to earn my business when I am ready to order. The bad part is, I live in a small town and ALL the Jeep dealerships are 40 miles or more away, so it is not like I can deal with a local like I did when I bought my 2017 F150 at small dealership in my town.

OP
OP

indmotor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 wrangler
As a salesman at a Porsche dealer for a long time.. I can assure you, the management didn't even know about the order. The salesman screwed up, took a deposit, and forgot to order the car with everything going on, no malice intended. The poor managers most likely never even had a clue.

I agree that the Manager should get back you promptly after they learned of what was happening.

It doesn't lessen the blow, but again, being in the business, it is solely 100% on the salesperson for not placing the order. Not sure I would call them a criminal enterprise... but that's not my call. I'm sure they will refund your deposit- things are very difficult for us right now, along with many others.
as a business owner, there is never an excuse to not call a customer back when promised. Never! and on top of that, a cutomer that is trading in his Jeep fully paid for and special ordering a new one. A customer that has 6 Jeeps in his family and many more with my customers, friends, and cousins. And all of us seem to be treated like crap by these dealers here. at least in the Detroit area. Like one fellow here said, "it's like they do not want to sell cars" Ford has no idea how easy it's gonna be to take this business from Jeep.

Sponsored

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
There is a 2020 JLUR online at a dealership about an hour away. I figured since it was the color I wanted and had all but one option I wanted, they might be willing to deal to get rid of it (has been on their online inventory since January) and I wouldn't have to wait and order a 2021 if blue becomes available again. I clicked on the "Request E-price" and filled out information (name, email, etc.). I received an email not 5 minutes later that said the person who handles online sales would be in contact with me within 24 hours. After 10 days I received another email asking if I had any further questions, but I had never been contacted by phone or email. My reply was simple and to the point "No one called, no one emailed, I am no longer interested!"

So once again, I am waiting to see if blue becomes available again on 2021. But that dealership will not be given a chance to earn my business when I am ready to order. The bad part is, I live in a small town and ALL the Jeep dealerships are 40 miles or more away, so it is not like I can deal with a local like I did when I bought my 2017 F150 at small dealership in my town.
This is a similar experience as to what I had. In Salt Lake, we have something insane like 6-7 Jeep Dealers within about an hours drive. I just sent messages out to every dealer with what I was looking for. Only one dealer responded, bought the JLUR off their lot 48 hours later. Its absolutely insane to me how some "salesmen" don't want to make a sale.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Different dealers have different "styles". I've been buying my vehicles through email (and now text) for almost 20 years. Some dealers are very good at doing virtual comms, others are not. The ones that replied got my business. The ones that didn't...didn't. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is whether or not I got into the vehicle I wanted at a price that was acceptable to me. But I also don't try to grind the dealer based on what I read about deals on the internet. What someone else paid is a data point, but my deal is my deal and I'm either comfortable with it and do it or not.

Far too much energy spent trying to understand why companies don't behave the way you want them too. That's their business. Whether they get your business is your choice.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
...as a business owner, there is never an excuse to not call a customer back when promised. Never!

As a customer of all sorts of products, it is rare to get a call back when promised. Rare!

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L

You are telling me that It is common in the industry that there is no internal process that has any manager verify, at any point that a check was received from a customer and the actual order was placed? Are you saying that it’s common across the industry to have this utter lack of internal controls?

there is zero reason why there should not be an internal check point....

1) did we receive a deposit and did we cash it (and was the check good?)?
2) did we place the customer order?

yes, yes. Done.

“no“ on either one means “we have a problem that must be fixed now”. And I can assure you that if the deposit check bounced, a dealership would be all over this..... but, if the check doesn‘t bounce you are telling me that the industry has zero internal controls to see if an EMPLOYEE had done his job?

seems like the dealers have no problem with a million internal controls before they let you drive off the lot with a new car. But, you are saying that dealers across the industry don’t even have rudimentary internal controls when a customer is ordering and leaving cash deposits.

Assuming that you know your business and can speak for industry practices (I have no reason to doubt you), to me, that’s a shameful and inexcusable lack of controls. Utterly inexcusable. “The poor managers likely never had a clue” actually means that the managers/owners across the industry are too lazy or uncaring to put in internal controls that link deposits to actual orders entered into the system. Shameful.

Last edited:

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher

I buy all of that except...there was a deposit. Where did that $500 go, and who handled it? The new car dealerships I've used, no salesman ever touches money. The business mgr has a crew that does that...with much paperwork involved. That deposit has to be in the accounting somewhere, unless the salesmqn just walked off with it. And if it IS in the books, someone should know why.

Sponsored

EJA

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
OP, curious why you didn't order from one of the two dealers in Plymouth. Did you have a bad experience with them previously? I ordered mine from Fox Hills.

OP
OP

indmotor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 wrangler
As a customer of all sorts of products, it is rare to get a call back when promised. Rare!
I know! Nobody ever calls me back. People say to me, give number will call you back. I say, No you won't. nobody ever does....

OP
OP

indmotor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 wrangler
OP, curious why you didn't order from one of the two dealers in Plymouth. Did you have a bad experience with them previously? I ordered mine from Fox Hills.
My brother and I bought our New Jeep wranglers there at FOX hills within a week apart in 2016. The owner, an older fellow with long term ownership was very nice, the staff is also very nice. I considered buying a new Grand Cherokee last year as they gave me one for a loaner and I loved it.... so I said, what will it take to trade up to this, here is my info..... no call, they had no interest. So I complained about that to the service manager, oh let me get you with the best salesman we have, he will take care of you properly! well he took information, tried to steal my Jeep from me, said its worth 18K and when i questioned the very low price he emailed me one in comparison at 18K dollars on ebay, i look, its a salvage title with half bald aftermarket wheels and tires, looked like a salvaged vehicle.... So when i politely called him out on that he blew me off and was done with me.... If i knew who to complain to I would have, and he is said to be their best salesman! Keep in mind, My Wrangler was under 3 years old with 18K miles on it and basically in brand new condition. so that was My Fox hills experience. I suspect there is a new owner there now. Because the nice owner gentleman and his daughter I met there were much better than that.

OP
OP

indmotor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 wrangler
I buy all of that except...there was a deposit. Where did that $500 go, and who handled it? The new car dealerships I've used, no salesman ever touches money. The business mgr has a crew that does that...with much paperwork involved. That deposit has to be in the accounting somewhere, unless the salesmqn just walked off with it. And if it IS in the books, someone should know why.
I did get a receipt with a customer invoice number and after digging around the Manager found my order and said they lost it and confessed it was never ordered. My salesman also was dealing with the manager on phone due to covid lay off and dealer is close so the manager is handling all the lingering sales like mine. My salesman showed me the email correspondence from his boss when he would ask how my order was coming, the manager would reply, everything is great, just waiting on the factory.

OP
OP

indmotor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 wrangler
You are telling me that It is common in the industry that there is no internal process that has any manager verify, at any point that a check was received from a customer and the actual order was placed? Are you saying that it’s common across the industry to have this utter lack of internal controls?

there is zero reason why there should not be an internal check point....

1) did we receive a deposit and did we cash it (and was the check good?)?
2) did we place the customer order?

yes, yes. Done.

“no“ on either one means “we have a problem that must be fixed now”. And I can assure you that if the deposit check bounced, a dealership would be all over this..... but, if the check doesn‘t bounce you are telling me that the industry has zero internal controls to see if an EMPLOYEE had done his job?

seems like the dealers have no problem with a million internal controls before they let you drive off the lot with a new car. But, you are saying that dealers across the industry don’t even have rudimentary internal controls when a customer is ordering and leaving cash deposits.

Assuming that you know your business and can speak for industry practices (I have no reason to doubt you), to me, that’s a shameful and inexcusable lack of controls. Utterly inexcusable. “The poor managers likely never had a clue” actually means that the managers/owners across the industry are too lazy or uncaring to put in internal controls that link deposits to actual orders entered into the system. Shameful.
I used my credit card for the deposit and they did offer that back to me, however first he wanted to offer a new deal to satisfy me (so he said). we spent a good deal of time going over my order that was previoulsly placed that they forgot to put in with the factory.... so he said, "ok got it, I will get right back with you" I said when? he said a few minutes, 20 minutes tops. and never called me back.... You know I could pay cash instead of the zero financing and get over that, but they would of had to say, give me 1500.00 more for my trade in to make it right for the rebate I lost.... they chose to ignore me instead..... So rather then beg for my money back I called my credit card company and they refunded the 500.00 and they will deal with it. This dealer is so bad i do not want to have to trust them for that refund. I can only emagine how they will tell me im all set, month goes by, no refund, call them, refund again, nothing on card a month later. well you get my point?
Sponsored