UPDATE ON dealer already claiming that it may not be covered under warranty

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
It’s like you only read what you agree with.
Even if the shop was reusing the oem sensors, guess what they'd do if they broke 1 when removing it? Replace it with an aftermarket unit. Guess what happens when the dealer pulls the tire and it's not an oem part? No warranty and probably twice the cost of just having a tire shop replace the sensor. A new sensor is $26 on Amazon, a tire shop will likely charge $50 to replace a tpms. The time involved in taking the Jeep to different places to argue over a few dollars doesn't seem worth it to me. To each their own I guess?

KarnaughMI

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
I would have to side with the dealer on this one. First off Chrysler warranties are voided by any lift over 2”. This may be why they were asking (I doubt it) knowing the 2” mopar lift gives you more than 2”. Changing the rims and type of tire are factors that will affect the performance of the system not to mention the question of if factory parts were used and if a mopar certified mechanic did the work. Lifts 2” and under only void the warranty if they can be shown to be the cause of the problem. Don’t get me wrong, I am not a fan of dealer service centers but this lands on their side of the fence.

Sorry, was reading this thread and I had to go back to this ... HUH?!? Where does it say that the warranty is voided by a lift over 2"? I have never seen this with any of my Jeeps.

Also, for the OP ... while I hate dealerships as much as the next guy, this is totally on you and the place you had the tires mounted/balanced at (especially after it was determined to go with the wheel when moved).

A non-dealership shop/mechanic took the sensors off and then remounted them onto aftermarket wheels. No matter how long it worked after being done, that part is on you now. Now, if it was the sensor receiver, then I would agree it's a possibly warranty item. I cannot understand how you believe the dealership should have to fix an item another mechanic at a non-dealership shop messed with.

Imagine this ... you just had your entire home AC system replaced. Then called up another HVAC guy to come remove and reinstall a relay and then when it stopped working, you called up the original installer and said "come fix it." Who should replace it?

Keeping it car-themed ... if I took my seats out to have them re-skinned somewhere not at the dealership and then my seat had a problem. I would never consider taking it to the dealership to have it repaired (*maybe* if it was part of a recall).

Sorry, you have a bad sensor, you'll have to pay for it out of pocket. I'm pretty sure the place who did your wheels is saying they used your parts and they are not responsible (which is correct).

Sorry, it's Monday and I'm salty.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
You should have another sensor in the spare. Just put the spare tire on, and have the tire shop and open up the offending tire/w sensor. If it is a factory sensor, then take it to the dealer and demand a new one, then have them install it. If it is aftermarket, the tire shop should replace it, preferably with a factory sensor, since they kept yours. They should then replace all sensors with Mopar ones.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
You should have another sensor in the spare. Just put the spare tire on, and have the tire shop and open up the offending tire/w sensor. If it is a factory sensor, then take it to the dealer and demand a new one, then have them install it. If it is aftermarket, the tire shop should replace it, preferably with a factory sensor, since they kept yours. They should then replace all sensors with Mopar ones.
If the op did wheels and tires at the same time, odds are like most of us he sold the stock set. Odds are the tpms sensors were still installed in them. At that point there is a 0% chance this would be at all warranty related. Even if the tire shop swapped the oem sensors over, I doubt it would be warrantied.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
If the op did wheels and tires at the same time, odds are like most of us he sold the stock set. Odds are the tpms sensors were still installed in them. At that point there is a 0% chance this would be at all warranty related. Even if the tire shop swapped the oem sensors over, I doubt it would be warrantied.
We can always guess, as to what happened, but, we won't know exactly what actually happened, until the OP tells us,.or until the offending TPMS is looked at. Your theory, is another one, of several possible theories. So, we all wait for the answer.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Lol, that is quite the bold statement. It didn't happen immediately therefore it isn't their fault. By that logic, the thing breaking any time after you take possession isn't Jeep's fault. It worked when they sold it to you.
Not really. It just means that it stopped working due to reaching its end of life, or it's a manufacturing defect of some sort. If it quit during the warranty period and there's no sign of physical damage or abuse - it's generally assumed to be a defect and therefore replaced under warranty. Outside the warranty period and you're on your own. Most dealerships I've dealt with (Ford & GM) won't quibble over a TPMS sensor. It's not worth the risk of losing a good customer for what costs them probably $50 - $75 for parts and labor if the manufacturer denied the warranty claim.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
The place where I had the work done is known for their work, the owner has an extremely modified JKUR that is has a 6 inch lift with 40's and to quote him "nothing original underneath". They are also known for modifying and building Wranglers. The last time I was there an out of state NFL players Wrangler was there being custom built. They are also known for building custom vehicles from the ground up
Cool story bro!

Your wheel sensors are bad, they regularly fail.

HuseinSilmi

First Name
Husein
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 2018
Occupation
Project Manager
I had similar issues with the TPMS and have a 2.5” lift, 35’s and after market wheels. The sensors from the OEM wheels were put in the new wheels. The dealer said it was a software problem and fixed it. My dealer, although far from perfect, has never given me any problem regarding warranty issues. They also replaced the steering box without questions. Good luck.
You are so lucky, there are not many dealers like yours

Traktor31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
So just wanted to chime in because way back when I used to work Warranty for VWoA, and what the dealer is saying sounds pretty standard to me. And I do know there are a ton of crappy dealers out there, don't get me wrong, but a lot of car manufacturers are the same in regards to this.

The dealership just wants you to know in advanced there is a possibility you could be charged, because if they dont inform you and then tell you that you owe money, it pisses off the customer. It's not that the dealer doesn't want to work on your issue, they get paid by the manufacturer for all warranty work, so there is no reason for them to WANT to deny you a warranty claim, once again they want to get paid and have Jeep pay them for their work. The issue arises is if they feel the manufacturer could come back and say hey, we are not covering this, so we aren't paying you.

And if its a TPMS sensor that failed because of aftermarket wheels, then Jeep could deny it. It's kind of the same ordeal that the dealer will tell you "hey we will run a diagnostic test, but if this isnt a warranty issue you will be charged $80 for the diagnostic fee." Man that would piss people off so much.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
So just wanted to chime in because way back when I used to work Warranty for VWoA, and what the dealer is saying sounds pretty standard to me. And I do know there are a ton of crappy dealers out there, don't get me wrong, but a lot of car manufacturers are the same in regards to this.

The dealership just wants you to know in advanced there is a possibility you could be charged, because if they dont inform you and then tell you that you owe money, it pisses off the customer. It's not that the dealer doesn't want to work on your issue, they get paid by the manufacturer for all warranty work, so there is no reason for them to WANT to deny you a warranty claim, once again they want to get paid and have Jeep pay them for their work. The issue arises is if they feel the manufacturer could come back and say hey, we are not covering this, so we aren't paying you.

And if its a TPMS sensor that failed because of aftermarket wheels, then Jeep could deny it. It's kind of the same ordeal that the dealer will tell you "hey we will run a diagnostic test, but if this isnt a warranty issue you will be charged $80 for the diagnostic fee." Man that would piss people off so much.
As is the case with everything in life, there’s a right way and there's a wrong way of saying things.

OP
OP
Irish Creig

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Unlimited

The persons first words were not about after market wheels, his immediately asked if I got the lift through them, when I said no he said that it might not be covered under warranty. If there was a problem with the aftermarket wheels and tires and the outside shop did something "wrong" then why did the TPMS sensor malfunction after over 5 months and 10,000+ miles later? I would think that if the people did the work wrong that it would have malfunctioned much earlier.

mchastings

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Sport S 2Dr / 2015 Rubicon JKU/2020 Willys JLU Diesel
Occupation
Working to pay my Taxes
OK, back on December 22nd I took possession of my 2021 JLU Sport S. In January I had bronze wheels, 35's and a 2.5 inch lift installed at an excellent shop (not dealer installed or Mopar). Now about 5-6 weeks ago the light came on saying that the front drivers side tire has zero tire pressure while I was driving. I stopped, got out checked the tire and it was fully inflated. I took it to an amazing tire place where I have bought my tires for at least 25-30 years and they checked it all out and said there is no problem with tire pressure, in fact all 4 tires and spare are perfect. I was at the dealer getting the oil change and had them check out the pressure issue, obviously it's an issue with the diagnostic computer system, not the tires. They came back to me and first words out of their mouth was, "did you have the lift installed by us?" and "if it wasn't installed by us it is probably not covered by warranty". I am calling BULLSHIT! I feel like they are already trying to avoid having it covered by warranty and have me pay out of pocket before they even try to diagnose why the tire pressure light will not go off even though all the tires are properly inflated. Anyone else have the same problem with the tire pressure light and what do you all think? Did I void the warranty by not going through them for the bronze wheels, 35's and 2.5 lift? (it's a Rubicon lift BTW)
The issues are not even related, tire pressure and suspension do not generally affect each other, especially the tire pressure sensor, I call Bull S. on your dealer, I would want a technical explanation as to why its not covered under warranty.

KarnaughMI

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Regardless of your dealership's reason ... this is not a hill I would die on. Especially over something so simple as a TPMS. Simply put, you had a non-Jeep dealer install a Jeep part and are expecting the dealership to warranty it. I agree with them that it is not a warranty item. But is it worth fighting over this?

My buddy at AEV explained to me that while designing the JK era of Pintler's, when TPMS was becoming a thing in Wranglers, that Jeep had specific standards for where the TPMS had to be in order to be read properly by the receiver (back when you had just a dummy light and no idea which tire was low). This was part of the reason why their valve stems stuck out like they did ... and they would routinely get sheared off by rocks. Now could you use a strap and put them TPMS in the middle of the rim? Yes and it worked. But it didn't meet Jeep "specs" ... and I definitely wouldn't go in and complain at Jeep if the TPMS stopped working.

I'd go to where I had the tires installed, have them bust the tire down and replace the TPMS. if they're good, they shouldn't have to rebalance it either.

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
You should be good to go since you went to an "excellent shop" and an "amazing tire shop"......:LOL::LOL::CWL::CWL:

When will people learn that modding your vehicle causes warranty issues. Sure there's the Magnussen act that everyone online seems to reference but its such a pain in the @ss to interact with these dealers that try to find a way to charge you for work they are doing.

If you had an aftermarket lift/tires/wheels put on and it somehow impacted the sensors or programming then you may be in for a battle on who's going to pay to fix it.
Sponsored