UPDATE ON dealer already claiming that it may not be covered under warranty

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
He clearly never got the problem resolved.
But that’s my point, is the Jeep at the dealer? Did he bail when they said it might not be covered? If not, remove offending wheel and see what happens. If the spare reads fine, deal with the failed tpms sensor in the wheel.
Sponsored

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I had a similar issue. Installed my lift a couple weeks ago.
got my premounted tires/ wheels delivered and installed them.
afew days into it, the front driver side sensor went out. Swapped in the spare and after a freeway run, sensor turned back on.
company I ordered the tires/ wheels from are sending out a new sensor.

Doesn’t seem the OP’s issue is a factory warranty problem.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I agree with what everyone says, unfortunately. As far as I remember, TPMS units are usually mounted to the valve stem on the wheel. Whenever you get tires changed, you're running a risk of breaking the TPMS units unfortunately. I've had it happen before.

If you use the old sensors on the new wheels, that's also running a risk of breaking them. Overall I agree with the dealer, unfortunately.

All that said, I think the TPMS is well worth the money. Especially on a high riding vehicle with beefy tires lol.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
More than likely it is caused by 1 of 2 things:

1. Aftermarket sensor crapping out

2. Aftermarket wheel causing the sensor (OEM or Aftermarket) to not register properly.

Both of these are semi common and neither would be covered by warranty.

OP
OP
Irish Creig

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Unlimited
Rotate the tires. See if the issue moves with the tire or not.
The tires have been rotated during the last oil change at the dealership when I took it in for the scheduled oil change, the issue did move with the tire

Sponsored

OP
OP
Irish Creig

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had similar issues with the TPMS and have a 2.5” lift, 35’s and after market wheels. The sensors from the OEM wheels were put in the new wheels. The dealer said it was a software problem and fixed it. My dealer, although far from perfect, has never given me any problem regarding warranty issues. They also replaced the steering box without questions. Good luck.
Thank you, I have become friends with the salesman who sold me my JLU and will be seeing him at the end of September when we go off roading with him. He is extremely knowledgeable about modifications having heavily modified his Rubicon, when we're out together on the trails I plan on discussing it with him.

OP
OP
Irish Creig

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A. You're assuming the sensors are oem, they may not be.
B. Some aftermarket wheels are much thicker than oem and can interfere with signal
C. They were removed and installed by a tire shop, maybe damaged in the process. The tire shop would be on the hook for the sensor at that point, but obviously fca would not.
It is going back to the shop that did the mods for new steel front and back bumpers and skid plates in 2 weeks, I plan on bringing up the issue with them before going any further with the dealership

OP
OP
Irish Creig

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A. You're assuming the sensors are oem, they may not be.
B. Some aftermarket wheels are much thicker than oem and can interfere with signal
C. They were removed and installed by a tire shop, maybe damaged in the process. The tire shop would be on the hook for the sensor at that point, but obviously fca would not.
The place where I had the work done is known for their work, the owner has an extremely modified JKUR that is has a 6 inch lift with 40's and to quote him "nothing original underneath". They are also known for modifying and building Wranglers. The last time I was there an out of state NFL players Wrangler was there being custom built. They are also known for building custom vehicles from the ground up

OP
OP
Irish Creig

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a similar issue. Installed my lift a couple weeks ago.
got my premounted tires/ wheels delivered and installed them.
afew days into it, the front driver side sensor went out. Swapped in the spare and after a freeway run, sensor turned back on.
company I ordered the tires/ wheels from are sending out a new sensor.

Doesn’t seem the OP’s issue is a factory warranty problem.
mine did not kick in until about 5 months and around 10,000 miles later

OP
OP
Irish Creig

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But that’s my point, is the Jeep at the dealer? Did he bail when they said it might not be covered? If not, remove offending wheel and see what happens. If the spare reads fine, deal with the failed tpms sensor in the wheel.
Jeep is not at the dealer, I decided to check with the place where I had the custom work done before going back to the dealer. I'll see the customizers in 2 weeks when they install the steel front and back bumpers with skid plates

Sponsored

OP
OP
Irish Creig

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You’re missing the point. If the sensor worked after being reinstalled, the tire shop didn’t break it. Aside from that, according to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the dealer would essentially need to prove that the part failed because it was abused somehow. Tough to do with a TPMS sensor.
EXACTLY! Thank you! the sensor worked for about 5 months and almost 10,000 miles!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The tires have been rotated during the last oil change at the dealership when I took it in for the scheduled oil change, the issue did move with the tire
Well, there's your sign. This is evidence the issue resides with the TPMS sensor in the wheel.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
@Irish Creig

A few things for you.
1. Is your Jeep a 2021? If it is there are now 2 different part #'s for TPMS.
2. Did the customizing shop use your factory OE TPMS or did you have them install new ones?
3. If they used your OE (old TPMS) then please do the following. Remove your spare and leave it at home. Lower your PSI about 15 or so and go drive a few blocks. Then come back and fill to the exact door placard PSI and go drive again without the spare.
4. If they installed new TPMS. Well then they probably did not use the correct part as not many even know there was a part change. They probably used the old part or programmed sensors that would have used the old part protocol. Call the dealer, give the parts guy your VIN and ask him for your OE part#. With that number we would be able to check and diagnose further.

Lastly on the 18's there was an issue. Once you went with a lift and thicker ply tires the signal could not get to the Jeep so the TPMS either would not work at all or occasionally you would get the right PSI but the light would stay on because it would not get a reading on every tire rotation thinking the system was not working. We have not seen that issue since the 18's and YES this is not a Jeep warranty event.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The place where I had the work done is known for their work, the owner has an extremely modified JKUR that is has a 6 inch lift with 40's and to quote him "nothing original underneath". They are also known for modifying and building Wranglers. The last time I was there an out of state NFL players Wrangler was there being custom built. They are also known for building custom vehicles from the ground up
The fact that it's 1 tire with an issue and moves when rotated says it's a bad sensor. You don't need to build custom Jeeps to know that. Replacing the sensor will fix the issue. The dealer might warranty it assuming the oem sensors were re-used in the new wheels, but on the chance that they weren't I'd just have my tire shop replace it as they will be cheaper than the dealer. Or just put the one with the bad sensor on the back as the spare and all is well.
Sponsored