UPDATE ON dealer already claiming that it may not be covered under warranty

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Me being ridiculous? That’s funny coming from the person who’s proven a thread inaccurate based on his one line of opinion and then suggested the thread isn’t fit for use afterwords lol. I never said anything about my feelings and I don’t use Facebook. The problem is not that the dealership warned him it might not be covered under warranty, it was that they were already attempting to blame his lift and tires on a faulty part before attempting to diagnosis anything, which is not out of the ordinary for most dealerships.
Oh I didn’t realize you were there as a witness.

Again. It isn’t my opinion. It is standard practice to notify the customer of potential charges if the problem is determined to be not claimable under warranty. I have no love for dealerships, it took mine over a month and 3 repair attempts to get my steering gearbox replaced. They are on average, grossly incompetent. (Now that is an opinion.)
Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
If we are really being honest with ourselves, most car buyers do not read the fine print concerning the warranty when making a new vehicle purchase. I do want to say I feel bad for Creig's plight. However these factory warranties on most all new vehicles are based on leaving them stock with no modifications.

A lot of Jeep owners start modifying by lifting and adding heavier wheel and tire combinations which are not in the parameters of what these rigs were designed for. A lot of guys/gals do it. But to complain about a denied warranty which can be directly related to the modification is on the customer to prove otherwise.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The batteries in TPS monitors don't last forever. It is also not uncommon for some to be defective. . OEM or aftermarket.

I have not read the entire thread. Not sure if the TPS are the original OEM or aftermarket. But whatever TPS used are in larger aftermarket wheels and larger tires. They were either transfered or installed by a aftermarket or 3rd party. The dealer might claim the TPS were damamaged during the swap if they were the OEM? In any case, any aftermarket TPD should have a warranty by the shop that installed them. I would take it up with the shop that installed the wheels, tires, TPS. I buy aftermarket wheels, TPS, winter tires for a lot of my cars. Discount Tires replaced my aftermarket TPS without hesitation after 2 went out after 3-4 years. They also mounted, balanced, and rotated my tires for free.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
If we are really being honest with ourselves, most car buyers do not read the fine print concerning the warranty when making a new vehicle purchase. I do want to say I feel bad for Creig's plight. However these factory warranties on most all new vehicles are based on leaving them stock with no modifications.

A lot of Jeep owners start modifying by lifting and adding heavier wheel and tire combinations which are not in the parameters of what these rigs were designed for. A lot of guys/gals do it. But to complain about a denied warranty which can be directly related to the modification is on the customer to prove otherwise.
Plight is an awfully strong description of a failed $30 part. Let’s be honest, warrantied or not it’s a minor inconvenience at most. Wether dealer or any tire shop on the planet it could be fixed in minutes for under $150. I wouldn’t waste my time bringing it to multiple shops. I definitely wouldn’t bring it back to the shop that installed it as they literally threw a tire pressure gauge on it and said “nothing wrong here” anyone with any experience could have diagnosed the failed sensor and had it fixed. Somehow the op has had that shop and the dealer look at it an none of them have completed the 15 minute repair. Take it to the dealer or any shop of choice and tell them the tpms sensor needs replaced. Done deal.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Yeah the idea that Jeep owners…or Harley-Davisson owners…or Ford F-150 owners…have the privilege to tamper (sorry if the term is blunt) with their vehicle, has played out.

Having owned a few Jeeps and Harley-Davidsons, if I pay a shop to mod it, the shops supports the mod.

The dealer doesn’t. And shouldn’t.

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
Yeah the idea that Jeep owners…or Harley-Davisson owners…or Ford F-150 owners…have the privilege to tamper (sorry if the term is blunt) with their vehicle, has played out.

Having owned a few Jeeps and Harley-Davidsons, if I pay a shop to mod it, the shops supports the mod.

The dealer doesn’t. And shouldn’t.
He’s not expecting the dealer to support his mods, he did not modify the tpms sensors.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
He’s not expecting the dealer to support his mods, he did not modify the tpms sensors.
If I swap my drivetrain in to a cj, is it still under warranty? I didn’t mod the drivetrain by moving it to a different chassis any more than the op modded the tpms sensors by moving them to different wheels? Not to mention, there has been no confirmation that the oem sensors were reused yet, but we get it dealer=bad no matter what.

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
If I swap my drivetrain in to a cj, is it still under warranty? I didn’t mod the drivetrain by moving it to a different chassis any more than the op modded the tpms sensors by moving them to different wheels? Not to mention, there has been no confirmation that the oem sensors were reused yet, but we get it dealer=bad no matter what.
🙄

Sponsored

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Moving TPMS to another wheel.
He actually has a point. If you ever ran a business, you'd have to know you've got to be fair. Moving TPMS from old wheels to knew wheels might cut some corners, but that would shift an unfair amount of responsibility to the dealer. I'm glad the dealer stands their ground, would hate to see prices go up because folks are taking advantage of the brand.

Last edited:

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I am not a dealer, if I was, I would not warranty this. It is not an OEM wheel, there is no way to tell if the sensor is OEM. I would 100% tell the customer up front that the warranty claim has a very high chance of being denied. I would tell them, that If they want it diagnosed, that they vey well may be on the hook for all work performed.

The TPMS is a wear product. It is like asking them to warranty brake pads. The TPMS are $44 dollars for 5 of them on Amazon.

Amazon for TPMS for $44.

That is under $9 each.

The OEM TPMS are $70 each.

Mopar TPMS

Shop rate is $125 in my area. I like to think my time is worth something.

My local tire shop will dismount and mount a tire and replace the TPMS for $10 while I wait. I am thinking there has been a lot of waisted time over this.

The good thing, is there has been some great reading on this thread.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

MudHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon (Bright White)
If you pull the compressor from your refrigerator and put it into a new fridge and then the compressor fails, will GE warranty it?

If you buy a computer from Dell, and then replace the motherboard, sticking the GPU, RAM, Processor, and every other OEM Dell component into the new mainboard, will Dell warranty the GPU or processor if it fails?

OP
OP
Irish Creig

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Unlimited
Well, a few weeks back I took my JLU to the dealership for routine maintenance, oil change, tire rotation etc........I got in my Jeep after the service and no light on indicating tire pressure issues. Ever since then it hasn't come back on so apparently the TPMS must have self-corrected itself! Also, the dealership and service dept has gotten to know me now and having no problems with them anymore
Sponsored

Last edited: