Sponsored

UPDATE ON dealer already claiming that it may not be covered under warranty

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
HUH?!? Where does it say that the warranty is voided by a lift over 2"? I have never seen this with any of my Jeeps.

Though I’m not sure about actual warranty language coverage. The Mopar MaxCare contracts used to state they were void with lifts over 2” now no lift is included and you have to buy supplemental Lift Coverage.
Sponsored

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Warranty is extremely important to me. I have a 2021 JLUR, and I bought an extended warranty through the dealer. The reason, I want to rest assured that I'm covered by all Jeep dealers when I travel around the country. This of course means I need to be careful not to do any mods that might void the warranty.

I ordered the new Mopar lift (77072399AE) through my dealer, and of course I had the dealer install it. This way my warranty won't be voided, it is also warrantied by the dealer.

I planned to buy Mopar beadlock wheels, but as it turned out they are not DOT approved if you use the beadlock rings (they're fine if you mount in the inner groves and use non-beadlock rings). So I asked the dealer if I can buy my own 35" wheels without voiding my warranty.

The dealer told me that as long as I don't go over 35", it won't void my warranty. They advised using specific Mopar TPMS, and provided the part numbers to me. I could have bought them through Amazon/eBay, but I'm more comfortable having dealer receipts. Again, to me, I'm all about warranty.

I'm not a fan of moving TPMS from old to new wheels, especially since I plan to sell the old wheels with the tires and TPMS. This being my third Jeep, I know the wheels sell faster and for a higher price if they're all inclusive and ready to bolt on.

I had a few other mods that I didn't bother asking the dealer about until they were done.

I had a WARN EVO VR 10S winch installed using a Rusty's mount plate. I asked the dealer, who said since a third party plate was used, it isn't covered by warranty. Oops. However the warranty is not voided.

I had a Smittybilt heavy duty tire carrier (7743) installed. Same thing, dealer told me it isn't covered by warranty. Oops#2 However, again, warranty is not voided.

Anyway, I have my flame suit on if any trolls want to bash me for buying an extended warranty through my dealer. I've done it with three different brand cars, dealt with the same concerns, learned to check with the dealer to be sure before modifying the vehicle. So I'm happy with it.

KarnaughMI

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Don, no flaming here. While I have never bought an extended warranty on any vehicle, I have on other things. But, I did get an extended warranty with my JLUR.

My previous 2012 JKUR went 130K miles with no major issues (except I went through three of the shitty oil filter/cooler adapters ... 2 warranty and one out of pocket). But on my last wheeling trip three coil packs went bad on me. I limped off the trail and back to town, but after repairs, the engine never seemed right. I had to do various repairs throughout the years, but being a former mechanic, I did almost everything myself.

I bought an extended warranty for my JLUR exclusively for the powertrain knowing that Magnuson would be my parachute. I don't care if I blow a wheel bearing or if my suspension fails (I have replaced the trackbar and drag-link with Yeti). I'll assume that first or second connected suspension part is out of my pocket.

Even with my lift and 37s, my dealership replaced the steering gear box no questions asked.

-Tom

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
That’s completely flawed logic.
First: If the TPMS was working when he left the tire shop - they didn’t damage anything.
Second: If you apply your logic, the dealer would rarely need to cover anything. Paint peeling? Sorry. You got it washed somewhere else. Rod knock? Nope. You changed your own oil. Radio died? Sorry again, you’re phone cables aren’t from us.
I hate to be blunt here, but you're wrong. These days, everyone wants something for nothing. I'm not saying that's the case with the OP, but entities (such as dealerships, insurance companies, etc) need to be mindful of this. If they covered everything that came walking through the door, they'd all be bankrupt and your insurance rates would be so high we'd all be riding bikes everywhere.

First: In my experience, TPMS generally takes ~30 miles to initially communicate. I'd have to check the Jeep manual (or other service guide) for the exact number, but that's not the point here. Have run into this issue many times on different vehicles when the tire shop rebuilds the sensor: you get home and the TPMS light illuminates because the car wasn't reset for the new sensors, but it was trying to connect to them the whole ride home and finally gave up.

Second: Car washes and oil changes are not the same thing as replacing entire suspension components to alter the ride height, load distribution and increasing the wear on other geometric components that otherwise wouldn't be affected due to the OEM specifications. And for what it's worth, I remember reading somewhere that FCA says you should not use third party phone cables and in fact I've heard from an acquaintance who is a CDJR tech that for whatever reason third party cables send the computer system into a fritz. It's on the dealership to decide for itself if it'll cover something like that. At the end of the day oil is oil, but what if the dealership discovers you put ATF instead of oil in your engine? Do you really think they're going to cover that under warranty?

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I hate to be blunt here, but you're wrong. These days, everyone wants something for nothing. I'm not saying that's the case with the OP, but entities (such as dealerships, insurance companies, etc) need to be mindful of this. If they covered everything that came walking through the door, they'd all be bankrupt and your insurance rates would be so high we'd all be riding bikes everywhere.

First: In my experience, TPMS generally takes ~30 miles to initially communicate. I'd have to check the Jeep manual (or other service guide) for the exact number, but that's not the point here. Have run into this issue many times on different vehicles when the tire shop rebuilds the sensor: you get home and the TPMS light illuminates because the car wasn't reset for the new sensors, but it was trying to connect to them the whole ride home and finally gave up.

Second: Car washes and oil changes are not the same thing as replacing entire suspension components to alter the ride height, load distribution and increasing the wear on other geometric components that otherwise wouldn't be affected due to the OEM specifications. And for what it's worth, I remember reading somewhere that FCA says you should not use third party phone cables and in fact I've heard from an acquaintance who is a CDJR tech that for whatever reason third party cables send the computer system into a fritz. It's on the dealership to decide for itself if it'll cover something like that. At the end of the day oil is oil, but what if the dealership discovers you put ATF instead of oil in your engine? Do you really think they're going to cover that under warranty?
My experience with TPMS started when TPMS did. I’ve been doing auto repair for well over 3 decades. I’ve replaced literally 100’s of them. If it takes around 30 miles of driving for the BCM to recognize a sensor, something is wrong (for the vast majority anyway. I’ve not worked on every make & model out there). Could you imagine a tech having to test drive every sensor replacement for 30 miles? Or return every customers car with the light on the dash still on and hoping that they actually fixed the problem? And FWIW, “rebuilt TPMS sensor” is just a fancy term for replacing the valve stems. Sensors are not serviceable.

And I’m not saying the dealer should be on the hook in this case. Just that they shouldn’t hint that it won’t be covered if they didn’t install it. That’s BS on the dealer’s part.

And yeah, using ATF instead of engine oil would be an issue. As would be the case if the op doesn’t have the OEM sensor installed on his Jeep. If that’s the case the dealer would be completely justified to deny a warranty claim.

All in all, neither the dealer or the op should be hot and bothered over it. It’s an insignificant cost in the overall scheme of things.

Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
You should be good to go since you went to an "excellent shop" and an "amazing tire shop"......:LOL::LOL::CWL::CWL:

When will people learn that modding your vehicle causes warranty issues. Sure there's the Magnussen act that everyone online seems to reference but its such a pain in the @ss to interact with these dealers that try to find a way to charge you for work they are doing.

If you had an aftermarket lift/tires/wheels put on and it somehow impacted the sensors or programming then you may be in for a battle on who's going to pay to fix it.
Very well said Eric. The "Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act" does not mean squat to the dealers. They are going to do everything in their power to deny a warranty claim. It is on the shoulders of the customer to prove the effected claim is worthy of repair (under warranty).

For instance: The dealer takes apart the tire and finds a the OEM TPMS faulty, they are going to claim it was damaged while the tire was changed. Warranty denied.

You install bigger tires and the transmission/engine/diff/trans case/ tie rods/drag link/etc fail, the dealer will claim the weight of the tires damaged the components. Warranty denied.

You have to beat them at their game unfortunately. I had a very expensive set of Sachs self leveling shocks lose damping. The dealer would only replace the leaking one. So I punctured the seal in the other one so I could get them both replaced under warranty.

Traktor31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
Once again, I have to disagree with the above statement that a dealer will do anything they can to deny a warranty claim. The dealer gets paid by the manufacturer for warranty work, so why wouldn't they want to do the work and get paid? The issue is them being worried the manufacturer will deny the warranty, not the dealer.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
The persons first words were not about after market wheels, his immediately asked if I got the lift through them, when I said no he said that it might not be covered under warranty. If there was a problem with the aftermarket wheels and tires and the outside shop did something "wrong" then why did the TPMS sensor malfunction after over 5 months and 10,000+ miles later? I would think that if the people did the work wrong that it would have malfunctioned much earlier.
I consider the sensors in the wheels themselves to be a wearable part that often isn't accurate and dies prematurely. It’s not that the outside shop did something wrong, it just happens and that the outside shop should stand behind their product (as it should have it’s own warranty for the bad sensor).

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
Once again, I have to disagree with the above statement that a dealer will do anything they can to deny a warranty claim. The dealer gets paid by the manufacturer for warranty work, so why wouldn't they want to do the work and get paid? The issue is them being worried the manufacturer will deny the warranty, not the dealer.
The payment isn’t instant, it takes them quite some time to get payed for work done, and has a high level of extra work required to get said payment.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
How is this thread still going? Anyone who thinks the dealer is doing anything wrong is incorrect. It’s just fact. There’s no argument for the other side.

Sponsored

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How is this thread still going? Anyone who thinks the dealer is doing anything wrong is incorrect. It’s just fact. There’s no argument for the other side.
Are you really so wise as to say there is no reason to converse over a subject on a forum related to said subjects. Maybe you should consider taking your high and lofty skills of conversation to the theologians and scholars. No one is arguing, and your statement is incorrect as a perspective on right and wrong, or ethical behavior is relative to the person who’s experiencing the situation. The OP is right to think that their quick to blame aftermarket parts way of business is frustrating and poor business practice.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Are you really so wise as to say there is no reason to converse over a subject on a forum related to said subjects. Maybe you should consider taking your high and lofty skills of conversation to the theologians and scholars. No one is arguing, and your statement is incorrect as a perspective on right and wrong, or ethical behavior is relative to the person who’s experiencing the situation. The OP is right to think that their quick to blame aftermarket parts way of business is frustrating and poor business practice.
You’re just being ridiculous. You can go to Facebook to whine about your feelings, it’s just plain fact that standard business practice is to notify the customer of diagnostic charges that may be applied if the problem is not a warrantable defect.

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You’re just being ridiculous. You can go to Facebook to whine about your feelings, it’s just plain fact that standard business practice is to notify the customer of diagnostic charges that may be applied if the problem is not a warrantable defect.
Me being ridiculous? That’s funny coming from the person who’s proven a thread inaccurate based on his one line of opinion and then suggested the thread isn’t fit for use afterwords lol. I never said anything about my feelings and I don’t use Facebook. The problem is not that the dealership warned him it might not be covered under warranty, it was that they were already attempting to blame his lift and tires on a faulty part before attempting to diagnosis anything, which is not out of the ordinary for most dealerships.
Sponsored