UPDATE ON dealer already claiming that it may not be covered under warranty

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
There's cause and effect. Changed your own oil, but refilled it with atf? On your own with the rod knock. Phone cables caused a short that fried the radio? Not a warranty repair either. Sensor failed after being removed and installed by someone else? Tire shop would be on the hook not the factory warranty.
You’re missing the point. If the sensor worked after being reinstalled, the tire shop didn’t break it. Aside from that, according to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the dealer would essentially need to prove that the part failed because it was abused somehow. Tough to do with a TPMS sensor.
Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
looking for an excuse to deny a warranty claim seems to be a common theme at CJDR dealerships these days. This is why I never purchase extended warranties on my new vehicle purchases.
Hope you get your problem resolved.
I'm not sure if "deny a warranty claims" seems to be the problem or the "Story" of denying claims are the real problem. I've had 4 TPMS sensors go bad in 6 years so they definitely are vulnerable to checking out!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
^^^ this!

The tire shop might have used Mickey Mouse TPMS sensors on those wheels, in which case it won’t be covered by the warranty.

But the dealer expressing concern about the lift is a sign that it is blatantly looking to skirt responsibility without even lifting a finger.

I’d try the tire shop first...and use a different dealer altogether.
Moving the tire sensor further from the receiver by lift and higher offset wheels, they have a point.

However, the "this may not be covered under warranty" statement is just standard issue, it's not some evil thing.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I think the Op's point is that the dealership immediately assumed the wheels/lift are causing the issue without any attempt to confirm. I'd be upset too, even if it turned out to be a bad after market TPMS sensor and I'd then be on the hook for the repair.

I had a similar situation with my 2015 JKU - aftermarket wheels, tires, and leveling kit. The EVIC would throw a "Check TPMS System" error whenever it rained outside or someone was sitting in the passenger seat. Dealer checked all sensors and modules and determined there was a fault in the wiring harness - under direction of FCA (Star case) they were told to run another wire from the rear sensor mounted on the differential to the PCM under the hood.

All under warranty. Not once did they ever even mention that my wheels/tires/lift might be the issue. Find another dealer.
The service writer doesn't diagnose the problem, but it is 100% their responsibility to let the customer know that the problem may not be covered by warranty. The dealer has done no wrong in this case. (And I can't stand dealerships)

I'm not sure if "deny a warranty claims" seems to be the problem or the "Story" of denying claims are the real problem. I've had 4 TPMS sensors go bad in 6 years so they definitely are vulnerable to checking out!
The sensors have a small battery in them. They are a regular replacement item, all 4 should be replaced whenever one takes a dive.

Austintatious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUS / 2021 JLUSD
If the sensor turns out to be aftermarket or damaged by the tire shop, you'd be on the hook for the diagnostic time AND the repair. I'd rather have them warn me up front that this may not be a warranty issue so I'm prepared to pay out of pocket before they show up with the bill for diagnostics and the estimate for the repair. If you came to me with aftermarket wheels and tires telling me that the sensor inside the non-factory parts isn't working, I'd say odds are it was your installer, but that's just me I guess?
Yeah, pretty much what I'm saying. I know I'd be responsible for the cost of repair but I'd be upset with the dealer if they are adamant from the beginning that it's someone else's fault without even knowing what the issue is.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Yeah, pretty much what I'm saying. I know I'd be responsible for the cost of repair but I'd be upset with the dealer if they are adamant from the beginning that it's someone else's fault without even knowing what the issue is.
They aren't adamant about anything, it sounds like OP didn't even make it past the service writer. This is a standard release to work on any vehicle, notify the customer of potential diagnostic fees. That's just good business.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
You’re missing the point. If the sensor worked after being reinstalled, the tire shop didn’t break it. Aside from that, according to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the dealer would essentially need to prove that the part failed because it was abused somehow. Tough to do with a TPMS sensor.
Lol, that is quite the bold statement. It didn't happen immediately therefore it isn't their fault. By that logic, the thing breaking any time after you take possession isn't Jeep's fault. It worked when they sold it to you.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Moving the tire sensor further from the receiver by lift and higher offset wheels, they have a point.

However, the "this may not be covered under warranty" statement is just standard issue, it's not some evil thing.
Is not evil, but it is incompetent.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Is not evil, but it is incompetent.
No, it’s standard business. It’s literally required that they advise you that if the problem is found to not be a warranty item you are responsible for payment for diagnosis.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
No, it’s standard business. It’s literally required that they advise you that if the problem is found to not be a warranty item you are responsible for payment for diagnosis.
One thing is to advise the customer that they have to pay if not covered by the warranty.

Another completely, is to blabber that a problem is not covered by the warranty without even knowing what the problem is.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
One thing is to advise the customer that they have to pay if not covered by the warranty.

Another completely, is to blabber that a problem is not covered by the warranty without even knowing what the problem is.
I can almost certainly guarantee that isn’t what happened.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The OP posted this at 5am on a Sunday, in guessing whatever happened at the dealer is said and done? Why tell half the story? What turned out to be the malfunctioning component? It would literally take 5 minutes to diagnose by putting the spare on at whichever location wasn't reading. 12 hours later we are still talking about it and being the dealer is closed today, most of us would have figured it out ourselves by now. Especially if there is a concern about it potentially not being covered by warranty. How he took it to the tire shop and they didn't bother to even try and diagnose it any more than putting a gauge on the tire and saying "it's all good" makes me question that shop.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
The OP posted this at 5am on a Sunday, in guessing whatever happened at the dealer is said and done? Why tell half the story? What turned out to be the malfunctioning component? It would literally take 5 minutes to diagnose by putting the spare on at whichever location wasn't reading. 12 hours later we are still talking about it and being the dealer is closed today, most of us would have figured it out ourselves by now. Especially if there is a concern about it potentially not being covered by warranty. How he took it to the tire shop and they didn't bother to even try and diagnose it any more than putting a gauge on the tire and saying "it's all good" makes me question that shop.
He clearly never got the problem resolved.
Sponsored