Dealer “forgot” to change the oil...

myers688

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S 3.6l
Long story short, I went to get a “free” oil change done on my JLUS with the 3.6l a couple of weeks ago (see my other post) and they overfilled my oil. Not too surprised as this is seemingly a common occurrence.
It finally warmed up enough in Minnesota (went from -30 degrees to about 20 degrees today) for me to change my oil this weekend and put the correct amount of oil in. After completing the oil change I inspected the “old” oil, mind you I brought my Jeep in for an oil change 433 miles ago, and it was darker than black coffee!!! This leads me to believe that they never even changed the oil at the dealership when I brought my Jeep in... boy am I glad I stayed on top of it and did it myself! What would you do in this situation? Would you bring the issue up to the service manager or just let it be and avoid going back to the “stealership” at all costs?

864C91CA-9220-4533-8509-855FBB272906.jpeg
Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I am not sure you can go by color. Fresh oil can turn dark within a few miles due to some of the residual old oil still being in the pan and up in the heads. When you drain the engine oil, it does not all drain out. Also, some brands of oils are just darker than other oils when new.

An oil analysis would be a better way to tell.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Jeeze. Sorry that happened to you.

if it were me, I’d let the dealer’s service manager know about this, but I’d plan on doing the oil changes yourself if you can.
I’ve had more bad experiences at fca dealers than good ones and I try to take care of things myself if I can help it

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
New oil will be very dark very soon. It is surprising of how fast it turns dark black.

Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
It's very possible, I'd even say likely that they did change the oil. It darkens fast for a variety of reasons.

OP
OP
myers688

myers688

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am not sure you can go by color. Fresh oil can turn dark within a few miles due to some of the residual old oil still being in the pan and up in the heads. When you drain the engine oil, it does not all drain out. Also, some brands of oils are just darker than other oils when new.

An oil analysis would be a better way to tell.
Thanks for the input! I always thought oil should stay golden colored for quite a while. I wonder what kind of oil they use at most dealers? I used Pennzoil full synthetic 0w-20 when I changed it so we will see how dark that gets.
I actually was planning on doing an oil analysis. I ordered one of the kits from black stone labs, so I will update when I get the results which may take a few weeks.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Are you saying you were a quart over on the dipstick after the change? Why would they add a quart just to overfill it? I think they did change it but you are right, we really don't know what they put in for oil. I have a really good dealer, but still change my own oil. Way easier to do it an my leisure than through them.

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Old timers test: put a drop of the old oil in the palm of your hand and smooth it out. New oil will leave a shiny patch with virtually no highlights of the skin lines. Old oil will deposit the suspended carbon and you can clearly see the lines.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Thanks for the input! I always thought oil should stay golden colored for quite a while. I wonder what kind of oil they use at most dealers? I used Pennzoil full synthetic 0w-20 when I changed it so we will see how dark that gets.
I actually was planning on doing an oil analysis. I ordered one of the kits from black stone labs, so I will update when I get the results which may take a few weeks.

Most dealers do not add oil from quart containers. They use an oil fill hose and nozzle coming down from the ceiling that comes from a large tank or barrel. So if you watch, you never really know what oil they are putting in. Hopefully the correct oil, right? This is why I will do my own oil changes until they haul me off to the nursing home with a wrench that they can not pry from my hand.

Sponsored

OP
OP
myers688

myers688

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you saying you were a quart over on the dipstick after the change? Why would they add a quart just to overfill it? I think they did change it but you are right, we really don't know what they put in for oil. I have a really good dealer, but still change my own oil. Way easier to do it an my leisure than through them.
I don’t know why they would do it but yes it was overfilled. I measured the oil when I drained it out and there was 6 quarts in there. Either way I will have much more peace of mind doing my own oil changes from now on.

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
I sold engine and industrial oils for years. The color of the new oil will darken depending on the quality of the old oil, how long it had been run, and the quality of the new oil.

Also varies greatly depending on gas vs. diesel

The new oil still has it’s Full detergent package. This is what cleans deposits from inside the engine and colors the oil. Our oil was extremely high grade and had an extremely strong detergent package

If you put our oil in after using a cheaper big name oil (particularly in diesels) our oil could be black in just a few hours. It was doing exactly what it was supposed to do, clean up deposits.

This is all dependent on previous oil quality (or lack thereof) and change interval

Blackstone was an excellent lab while I was selling. You cannot judge the life or quality of oil visually

If you had Previously used a cheaper Pennzoil or Quaker State product such as you get in the $19.95 quick lube places, the new oil may well just be doing it’s job

Contrary to the opinion of some, there is a HUGE difference in quality of oils, even within the same manufacturers line

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I agree that they probably did change the oil and it has darkened that quickly, especially since you are in a cold climate. However, this is why you always want to check the oil before and after having it changed. Years ago, my dad took his wife's car to the dealer for oil changes and would give them a case of the oil to use, and he would check before leaving the lot. Well, one time they didn't change it - someone took his case of oil and told him they changed it. He never went back.

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Pull the dipstick before you drive it off the lot, it should look new (not dark/black). Honestly though, I’d recommend just doing it yourself, these 3.6’s take 5 minutes and the oil can be found everywhere (best price I have found for the Pennzoil 0-w20 full synthetic is Home Depot of all places).

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
+1 - low quality oil either before or after the change - if they changed it. What else would be free? New synthetic oil in a healthy engine shouldn’t turn that black in 400 miles - my experience.
Sponsored