datumtreader

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sting gray JLR
Hi all,

I’ve been scouring the forums for answers, and it’s been a struggle to identify what exactly could have gone wrong with my 2018 2-door JLR 2.0 4-cyl.

Last weekend, I installed the MOPAR LED kit (part no: 82215136AC) complete with the wiring harness/4th pin installation. This was the first real modification of my Jeep and I followed the detailed 30-pages of instructions step by step. First step was to disconnect the negative leads to the battery, including the battery sensor, which I did.

yadayada.. (I can scan/post the instructions if anyone would like to see them) update: here are the instructions I used

After passing the 4th pin into the BCM C1 A slot, as instructed, I re-connected all BCM slots and hooked up the headlights to validate that the electrical portion was complete/functional. When I re-connected the battery, I heard the relays engage like normal. But when I made my way to the dash and hit the run/start button, the dashboard lit up with probably every warning/error light imaginable. I saw something about the transmission requiring service, the start/stop requiring service, etc, it was pretty scary. Since then my Jeep has been a $40K paperweight, below I have some screenshots of what the cabin looks like now.

The PRND lights, normally mostly white, are all orange
Jeep Wrangler JL Dead JLR 2.0 - post installation of MOPAR LED kit IMG_1821

Driver info screen is stuck on "Press Brake and Push Button to Start" screen
Jeep Wrangler JL Dead JLR 2.0 - post installation of MOPAR LED kit IMG_1820

Radio is asking for an anti-theft code
Jeep Wrangler JL Dead JLR 2.0 - post installation of MOPAR LED kit IMG_1822

Since last Sunday, when this happened, I've tried a couple of things :
- I went back to the battery, disconnected it, and undid the wiring in the BCM, same situation
- connected the old halogen headlamps, just swapping out the connectors, to see if the LEDs were the problem, but no difference
- I noticed the 12V battery was below 12V (11.3V), so I've trickle-charged it to 11.8-11.9V, no luck
- I've tried jump starting the vehicle, no luck

I couldn't get an appointment with the dealership until today, so I've been out of my daily commuter all week. I'm currently waiting on Mopar Roadside Assistance to get someone to tow me over.

@JeepCares not sure if you can lend a hand here but anything is welcome a this point.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Jeep Wrangler JL Dead JLR 2.0 - post installation of MOPAR LED kit IMG_1823
Sponsored

Last edited:

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Only thing I can think of would be to make sure you did not bend any of the pins in the BCM connector that could be shorting or not connected now when you pushed it back in.

I also heard of someone damaging the main harness passing through the firewall with the "sharp coat hanger" recommendation in the Mopar instructions. It's easy to poke right into the harness wires when trying to poke through the firewall grommet. I almost did that myself when I did the upgrade. Really seems like they need to add a warning and show exactly where on the grommet to pierce it. Anyway this person had an expensive repair so I hope it's not the case for you.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ou-do-to-your-jeep-jl-today.3033/post-1141892

Good Luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
datumtreader

datumtreader

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sting gray JLR
Only thing I can think of would be to make sure you did not bend any of the pins in the BCM connector that could be shorting or not connected now when you pushed it back in.

I also heard of someone damaging the main harness passing through the firewall with the "sharp coat hanger" recommendation in the Mopar instructions. It's easy to poke right into the harness wires when trying to poke through the firewall grommet. I almost did that myself when I did the upgrade. Really seems like they need to add a warning and show exactly where on the grommet to pierce it. Anyway this person had an expensive repair so I hope it's not the case for you.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ou-do-to-your-jeep-jl-today.3033/post-1141892

Good Luck.
Thank you, that makes sense! I’m hoping it’s just a nicked cable in the grommet, $2K for remediating that seems a little insane though.

Update 1:
Since I had it in a garage with a 7’ ceiling the tow truck guy (via Mopar Roadside Assistance) towed the vehicle with the front tires on the ground, not a flat tow as per the manual; hoping that didn’t screw anything up.

It’s at San Diego Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram (SD CDJR) right now, they're overloaded with customers and apparently I won’t hear back regarding the diagnostic until at least Tuesday. $160 diagnostic fee “to start” and it’ll go up from there. I’ll post updates here.

Also, SD CJDR ran out of vehicles so I couldn’t get a loaner/rental for a day. Looks like I’m out of transportation for at least 8 days, partially self-inflicted, but this was a Mopar part (not third party) so I’m a little disappointed at how this is going.

@JeepCares

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you, that makes sense! I’m hoping it’s just a nicked cable in the grommet, $2K for remediating that seems a little insane though.

Update 1:
Since I had it in a garage with a 7’ ceiling the tow truck guy (via Mopar Roadside Assistance) towed the vehicle with the front tires on the ground, not a flat tow as per the manual; hoping that didn’t screw anything up.

It’s at San Diego Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram (SD CDJR) right now, they're overloaded with customers and apparently I won’t hear back regarding the diagnostic until at least Tuesday. $160 diagnostic fee “to start” and it’ll go up from there. I’ll post updates here.

Also, SD CJDR ran out of vehicles so I couldn’t get a loaner/rental for a day. Looks like I’m out of transportation for at least 8 days, partially self-inflicted, but this was a Mopar part (not third party) so I’m a little disappointed at how this is going.

@JeepCares
It is a Mopar add on intended for dealer install. If they cause a problem installing it then they fix it. That's why when the dealer flashes it it shows on the Mopar site as a dealer installed option. Any self installation carries risk. Not a Mopar/Jeep problem unless the part was defective.

OP
OP
datumtreader

datumtreader

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sting gray JLR
It is a Mopar add on intended for dealer install. If they cause a problem installing it then they fix it. That's why when the dealer flashes it it shows on the Mopar site as a dealer installed option. Any self installation carries risk. Not a Mopar/Jeep problem unless the part was defective.
Yeah that’s true

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi @datumtreader,

Thank you for tagging us. As the Customer Care Team, we are not mechanically trained and are unable to assist with aftermarket accessories. Your dealer is in the best position to assist further.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

GreatWhite13

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport s
That bcm plug will act if its seated BUT you really have to make sure of it... ran into the same issue with a hardtop install kit

OP
OP
datumtreader

datumtreader

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sting gray JLR
Hi @datumtreader,

Thank you for tagging us. As the Customer Care Team, we are not mechanically trained and are unable to assist with aftermarket accessories. Your dealer is in the best position to assist further.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
I didn’t realize Mopar/OEM parts were considered aftermarket. I also thought the JeepCares team worked “in tandem with dealerships and internal teams to assist in the best way possible”.

Figured if I tagged you guys I’d gain some additional assistance with this issue but it looks like I’ll need to work exclusively with the dealership. Going on 9 days without a Jeep here.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
He's got a 2018 2.0T, so it's an eTorque. No auxiliary battery, only the main and 48v battery pack. Doubt he'd want to pay for a new 48v battery pack if its not needed.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Stuff like this makes me want to stay away from electrical mods. I guess I’ll need to do a Tazer, my BD wide angle fogs with the weatherpack connectors wired to the factory fog light harness, and wire up to two other accessories via the winch’s 2 aux power options. That’s it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I didn’t realize Mopar/OEM parts were considered aftermarket. I also thought the JeepCares team worked “in tandem with dealerships and internal teams to assist in the best way possible”.

Figured if I tagged you guys I’d gain some additional assistance with this issue but it looks like I’ll need to work exclusively with the dealership. Going on 9 days without a Jeep here.
To clarify: any alteration made to the vehicle after it has left the factory is considered an aftermarket accessory. As the Customer Care Team, we are unable to provide additional assistance with these concerns. We recommend working directly with your dealer.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Reactions: GtX
OP
OP
datumtreader

datumtreader

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sting gray JLR
Update today 29 June 2020:

Received a call from the dealership, they believe it’s a faulty BCM and have ordered it from Los Angeles. They assured me this will be covered under the warranty. Part should be here tomorrow, hoping the install will get me back on the road before the end of the day.

Crossing my fingers that this will be the fix, even though I was 50% sure it was a grounding issue in the firewall gasket. Will report back with the word tomorrow.

WalkingJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
Sounds like what happened to me when the row of fuses on the side of the rise box blew when my socket wrench touched the other terminal of the battery when tightening a bolt.

Yovwmon

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Altitude
So was it a bad BCM? What did the dealer do? Is your Jeep still a paperweight?
Sponsored