Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Mine did exactly the same thing. I had to call the dealer and have it towed. They replaced both batteries so I'm good for a while. Saving up for a genesis system.
You won’t regret the dual Genesis system if you choose that, battery worries will disappear IMHO. There are less costly options that several have explored and successfully done as well it just depends on your needs.
Sponsored

OP
OP
xaugievike

xaugievike

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

I should probably know this.....

Are stock batteries AGM or lead acid?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I should probably know this.....

Are stock batteries AGM or lead acid?
AGM...Most modern vehicles today utilize AGM, the JL however uses batteries of different sizes in regard to amp hour rating, same design but different sizes.

Im sure @Jebiruph can chime in with the sizes but I believe the ESS battery is like 12 ah and guessing the crank battery has to be around 64 but not sure, the huge benefit of using AGM is they are less prone to sulfation but they have to be maintained correctly and since they are connected and of different sizes it’s a challenge to some degree.

OP
OP
xaugievike

xaugievike

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

makes sense. was just thinking that the battery tender may not be the best choice for it, but upon reading they say it'll work with AGM's

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
makes sense. was just thinking that the battery tender may not be the best choice for it, but upon reading they say it'll work with AGM's
From my research the batteries should be charged at different rates as they are different sizes and all the AGM makers I spoke with advised that the charge rate needs to be .20-.35% of the amp hour rating so once one finds out for sure what the amp hour rating is for the battery then charge at that rate for the bulk charge then float to maintain.

Sponsored

OP
OP
xaugievike

xaugievike

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

Update:

Had the Jeep in the garage on a battery tender for approx 7 hours. battery tender was flashing indicating that the batteries were north of 80%, but less than fully charged for the last 5 hours or so.

Fired it up. It turned on and ran normally. The MIL was still on, but all the weird stuff (wipers running, warnings in the screen, other warning lights) were off. Did a long run around the block and it was fine.

put her back in the garage for the night on the tender. I'll give the dealer a call in the AM, but that sure seems like the battery(ies) are the culprit in the extreme cold.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
If it makes anyone feel any better, adjusted for inflation, $80,000.00 in 2021 is equal to $20,792.86 in 1979.

OP
OP
xaugievike

xaugievike

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

the battery did not achieve a full charge overnight. So I just drove it straight to the dealer. They said there were 130 codes on it hahaha.......

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
the battery did not achieve a full charge overnight. So I just drove it straight to the dealer. They said there were 130 codes on it hahaha.......
It seems the batteries they are putting in these Jeeps and pretty much any new vehicle are of poor quality, you would think batteries on brand new vehicles would last longer than a few years, heck some are not even getting a year out them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
xaugievike

xaugievike

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

Today begins day 3 in the shop.

I know the battery has been ruled out after load testing etc. codes have cleared and not come back in some tests...I do not know if any components were changed/etc. I was told by the advisor that "there seemed/seems to be an intermittent loss of communication between modules."

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Today begins day 3 in the shop.

I know the battery has been ruled out after load testing etc. codes have cleared and not come back in some tests...I do not know if any components were changed/etc. I was told by the advisor that "there seemed/seems to be an intermittent loss of communication between modules."
I truly hate electrical gremlins, they are the hardest to track down.

OP
OP
xaugievike

xaugievike

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

I thought I'd put a marker on this thread to note where it stands. Yesterday the Jeep was returned to me "Unable to replicate" the problem.

Im quite happy with the dealership I use. Their communication was good. They had it for basically 6 days. Drove over 100 miles. and nothing popped back up. batteries were load tested (passed). it came in with 130 codes. bus was "wiggle tested." as was star connector. harness checked by HVAC and dash per a star case. inline connector in right rear wheel. all good.

so for now I guess it exists as a gremlin. I will avoid getting it wet and feeding it after midnight (aging myself there)....
Sponsored