First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

All -

My Jeep just went dead on me in the driveway. Turned it on via remote start (which worked) and let it run for a few minutes before I hopped in for some errands. When I put it in gear and started rolling out every light in the thing came on with messages to service every system in the thing. I couldn't shut it off for a moment, but eventually it did turn off.

Let it sit for a few but it wont do anything when trying to fire it back up. Brake pedal is hard as a rock.

Suspect its battery related with the cold. Im topping up my jump starter to see if I can get enough juice going to at least get it fired up. and into the garage (should have put it in there last night).

Looking for any other advice anyone may have.
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Check fuses first. Then, jump start. If you have a trickle charger, charge it for a day. If it is still having issues, and is under warranty, take it in. But, it does sound like battery issues. Like the bad Aux Battery going bad.
Keep us informed.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I would hope on a 202O the battery is not bad but my main crank battery only lasted 7 months, get it going then have the dealer address under warranty but as stated check those fuses as well, I periodically check my before a overnight trip

OP
OP
xaugievike

xaugievike

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

Update:

Well I tried the jump pack to no avail. nothing.

So I unhooked the negative cable and ran to the auto parts store to get a charger (I have some battery tenders, but no full-on charger).

When I came back I hooked the battery back up and tested it's voltage (b/c I hadn't done that yet. It registered 12.3. This was after taking the jump pack off of it, so that may have left some residual(?).

I wanted to just double check and this time she did fire up. So I have it in the driveway idling now. Hoping that will allow me to get it back into the garage and onto the charger.

OP
OP
xaugievike

xaugievike

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

update to the update:

I let it idle for 15 mins and was able to get it into the garage. Still some freaking out. Windshield wipers are going. Check shifter message, abs light, etc. I put it on the battery tender (not the charger) for now. hoping the warm(er) garage and a charger will help it out.

I did begin an install of the AEV pro cal snap yesterday. however I did not plug in the snap or attempt any usage of it b/c one of the tabs broke off that was supposed to go into the OBD connector. I cannot imagine that caused the issue. I started and drove it a few times after that attempted install with no issues or signs of issues. it did hit -10 here last night though. And over the last couple of weeks I've noticed that the ESS doesnt work the first trip or two on particularly cold mornings. Perhaps that was telling me something and I wasnt listening.

Sponsored

Beebe Senior

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
A few people on here have had some lo-jack type device installed by the dealer and not removed at purchase that has been causing similar issues to what you described. Worth a look. Someone said they have been located down near the kick panel by the pedals.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
And over the last couple of weeks I've noticed that the ESS doesnt work the first trip or two on particularly cold mornings. Perhaps that was telling me something and I wasnt listening.
Iā€™d put my money on bad AUX battery. When shutdown, that bad battery (wired in parallel) will draw down your cranking battery.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-aux-battery-bypass.17293/

Jerryā€™s bypass solution is cheap and easy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JZ5C29C

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0781L7WRX

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JZ8MKL2

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WMB61J5

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086Z2Y1D6

Only other thing you need that I didnā€™t link is a step bit to make the AUX negative fit the bolt that comes with the battery switch.

Of course, fancier and prettier solutions exist... @Rhinebeck01 has the prettiest, Iā€™d say.

OP
OP
xaugievike

xaugievike

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
If itā€™s under warranty pull off any after market programmers and tuners and take to the dealer service folks if under warranty

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
fortunately I hadn't got into anything like that yet. Gonna see the dealer in the AM.
Have them load test the batteries and go from there, as stated could be that ESS battery causing the issues, they are known to go bad a lot and itā€™s well documented here, I donā€˜t think if the ESS battery is bad would prevent it from starting as there is supposed to be a TSB that was applied after the 2018ā€™s but if the ESS battery say has a shorted cell itā€™s very possible it can pull the main battery down and it will continue to do that if thatā€™s the case but let the dealer fix it.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Your symptoms may indicate a blown ESS high capacity fuse, have you disconnected the positive battery terminal recently?

OP
OP
xaugievike

xaugievike

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

Your symptoms may indicate a blown ESS high capacity fuse, have you disconnected the positive battery terminal recently?
Positive, no. Negative I disconnected earlier today as indicated.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Mine did exactly the same thing. I had to call the dealer and have it towed. They replaced both batteries so I'm good for a while. Saving up for a genesis system.
Sponsored