Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Any word on your Jeep?
It's at the shop that installed the RSE rock sliders. They were unable to replicate the issue, they say that it's charging and starting fine, the check engine light is off, and they can't find anything wrong.

I have an appointment at the dealership Thursday.

I fear that it could be a short in the rock sliders or possibly the ARB compressor. A short, however, should blow a fuse.

Hopefully the dealership will figure it out and whatever it is is under warranty. Hopefully.

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
Something very similar happened to me when my Jeep was about 6 months old. It turned out to be a bad battery. Internal short. I could get it charged up overnight but when I put the meter on it (engine off) the voltage was dropping fairly quickly. I used the Jeep roadside service to have it trailered to the dealer where they replaced it at, wait for it, no charge.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
I’m curious to see if it was the sliders.

OP
OP
Ratbert

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I’m curious to see if it was the sliders.
They reconnected the RSE sliders last Friday and I drove it to a dealership today for tomorrow's appointment. It all seemed fine. Check engine light is off now too.

Best case scenario is that one or more of the batteries are bad and gets covered by the warranty.

Sponsored

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I don't have the diesel but this is the same thing that happened to my 19 with the 3.6L. Went to start it one morning and it was dead. Jump started it and it would stay running as long as I was moving. Soon as I stopped it died and I had to jump it again. As long as I put it in neutral and kept the rpm's up around 1500 it would stay running. Had all kinds of lights on the dash when it happened. Replaced the battery and everything went away and has been running fine since.

OP
OP
Ratbert

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I don't have the diesel but this is the same thing that happened to my 19 with the 3.6L. Went to start it one morning and it was dead. Jump started it and it would stay running as long as I was moving. Soon as I stopped it died and I had to jump it again. As long as I put it in neutral and kept the rpm's up around 1500 it would stay running. Had all kinds of lights on the dash when it happened. Replaced the battery and everything went away and has been running fine since.
It's still sitting at the dealership. Fairly sure that they haven't looked at it yet...

OP
OP
Ratbert

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Dealership called and said that it was a loose battery connector. I'd love if it was something as stupid as that (my fault), but it repeatedly instantly drained a jump box. Maybe the jump box is bad?

Wicked_JL

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR + half doors
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
Dealership called and said that it was a loose battery connector. I'd love if it was something as stupid as that (my fault), but it repeatedly instantly drained a jump box. Maybe the jump box is bad?
That doesn't sound right.. A loose battery connector doesn't cause such drops..
Did they replace both batteries? Is everything running fine now?

OP
OP
Ratbert

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

That doesn't sound right.. A loose battery connector doesn't cause such drops..
Did they replace both batteries? Is everything running fine now?
They didn't replace anything. It seems to be doing ok, but I don't really know if the voltages are normal. I haven't monitored them in a while though.

Sponsored

DGT

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Diesel, Ford Excursion,Volvo XC70
Similar to the OP of this thread, my 2022 JLURD has had a dead battery 5 times over the past 6 months. Each time, it's been overnight, and I haven't been able to locate the amperage drain - it's nothing obvious, like lights left on, etc. I do have a winch, but it hasn't been used anytime around when the battery went dead. Everything else electrical is stock.

The one thing I did note today while on a short drive to recharge the battery after jump starting was that the dash gauge voltage meter would go down to +/-12.1v when driving on the road but would increase to 13.1-14.5 while at idle. Revving at idle does not make the voltage go down, but driving it does. Seems like the alternator is not working when driving, assuming it does this all of the time.

Any ideas on how to track down the battery drain culprit?

Update 11/23: I forgot I also have the Tazer JL, and reports are that the firmware version I was using could drain the battery. I updated the Taser firmware and hope that this may have been the random battery drain. I'll update this post with any new news.

Last edited:

rcliff1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 tj, 2014 Mustang GT, 2017 Ford F350 Dually, 2020 Diesel Rubicon on order
Similar to the OP of this thread, my 2022 JLURD has had a dead battery 5 times over the past 6 months. Each time, it's been overnight, and I haven't been able to locate the amperage drain - it's nothing obvious, like lights left on, etc. I do have a winch, but it hasn't been used anytime around when the battery went dead. Everything else electrical is stock.

The one thing I did note today while on a short drive to recharge the battery after jump starting was that the dash gauge voltage meter would go down to +/-12.1v when driving on the road but would increase to 13.1-14.5 while at idle. Revving at idle does not make the voltage go down, but driving it does. Seems like the alternator is not workiing when driving assuming it does this all of the time.

rcliff1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 tj, 2014 Mustang GT, 2017 Ford F350 Dually, 2020 Diesel Rubicon on order
same thing here, died this week overnight. Jumped it and its been fine for thee last 2 days....battery checked fine at autozone.

Reactions: DGT

chadk77

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ, 2021 JLURubicon
Build Thread
Link

The one thing I did note today while on a short drive to recharge the battery after jump starting was that the dash gauge voltage meter would go down to +/-12.1v when driving on the road but would increase to 13.1-14.5 while at idle. Revving at idle does not make the voltage go down, but driving it does. Seems like the alternator is not working when driving, assuming it does this all of the time.

Update 11/23: I forgot I also have the Tazer JL, and reports are that the firmware version I was using could drain the battery. I updated the Taser firmware and hope that this may have been the random battery drain. I'll update this post with any new news.
I have the tazer as well and went out yesterday and my battery was dead. I had not updated it since I got it which was probably 6 or 8 months ago. Thought that could be the culprit as well.

Jump started it and updated firmware. We'll see if that solves it or if it is actually the battery at fault.

Reactions: DGT

JLnike

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 xr
Any updates on this topic
I have the same problem with a 392
I have a taser also , what versions were you guys running?
Sponsored