FedeF

First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3 - Alfa Romeo Stelvio
Hello All,
I have read that somebody had the same happening to him, dead battery by leaving the Jeep off in N instead of P. On my 2.0, it took about one hour only to kill the battery! Is this normal and why?
Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I'm definitely not an authority on the matter but it's possible the Jeep isn't permitted to sleep/shut down its systems because the trans isn't in park. What scenarios would you ever want to be in N with the engine off for more than a minute or two?

OP
OP

FedeF

First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3 - Alfa Romeo Stelvio
I understand, but a completely dead battery in one hour for heaving the on board computer powered up, it does not seam reasonable to me....

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I understand, but a completely dead battery in one hour for heaving the on board computer powered up, it does not seam reasonable to me....
There are many systems running not just a computer. The entire vehicle is running except the engine.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Modern cars now have so many systems running off the battery that it's rather taxing on the battery when the engine is off. It's sounding pretty normal for batteries to die within an hour or two of accessory running.

And why would you turn it off in neutral instead of park? For me when shutting off my jeep it's parking brake up, trans in park and then button to shut it off and I'm set.

Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Every time I tow my 2.0 jeep behind the RV it is in Neutral with the engine off for 5 - 24 hrs, and no battery issues. (FYI - the brake light cable does NOT have power supplied from the RV to the Jeep, just to the brake lights or turn signal lights when activated)

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Unless I am missing something, I'm not sure why you would choose the transmission's neutral anyway when you can use the transfer case's neutral.

I found this out the hard way when spooling my winch. Putting the transmission in neutral with the engine running will activate the brakes when the Jeep starts rolling. Using the transfer case for neutral will will let the jeep roll freely with the transmission in park/drive/whatever.

Side-note: the Warn Zeon 10-S will drag a JLR on pavement with the brakes locked up.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
duh, you are right, sorry, my BRAIN was in neutral.

you are correct, my transmission is in park, it is the transfer case that is in neutral.
Sponsored