Dead 12v battery on etorque

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, Commando, JT , JL, M422
Woke up to completely discharged 12 v battery on etorque 2-door. I believe the Jeep was left in reverse when turned off last night. Why would this drain the 12v battery ? and why did the 48v battery not start the engine? Charged the 12v battery and all appears normal (if that term can be applied to this vehicle).
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Woke up to completely discharged 12 v battery on etorque 2-door. I believe the Jeep was left in reverse when turned off last night. Why would this drain the 12v battery ? and why did the 48v battery not start the engine? Charged the 12v battery and all appears normal (if that term can be applied to this vehicle).
The 48V eTorque battery only supplies power for the Start/Stop system, it isn't tied into the 12V battery starting system.

The stock 12v battery on my eTorque 2018 only lasted 2.5 yrs and less than 30k miles. I replaced it with a re-branded Northstar AGM from Batteries Plus.

OP
OP
Jim_n_Tx

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What good is a $1,500, 48 volt battery and electric motor if it won't even start the Jeep?

jdsqrd

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jdsqrd.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Author/Civil Engineer
Must be the solar flares because I also woke up this morning to a completely dead battery on my JLU eTorque (~4000 miles). Jump started it and drove around for awhile to charge it and all seems normal now.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
What good is a $1,500, 48 volt battery and electric motor if it won't even start the Jeep?
You kind of answered your own question there. The Jeep starting system is 12V, therefore the starting system won't work as designed by Jeep off of the 48V eTorque battery. The eTorque battery is for Start/Stop events and applying battery power (adds additional torque, the amount is dependent on if it's a 2.0 or 3.6 engine) for the first half of tire rotation upon accelerating from a stop.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jim_n_Tx

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You kind of answered your own question there. The Jeep starting system is 12V, therefore the starting system won't work as designed by Jeep off of the 48V eTorque battery. The eTorque battery is for Start/Stop events and applying battery power (adds additional torque, the amount is dependent on if it's a 2.0 or 3.6 engine) for the first half of tire rotation upon accelerating from a stop.
Found this:
Jeep Wrangler JL Dead 12v battery on etorque Screenshot_20210705-184807_kindlephoto-2633136272

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Found this:
Jeep Wrangler JL Dead 12v battery on etorque Screenshot_20210705-184807_kindlephoto-2633136272
Yes, as you can see in that description is the 48V doesn't function as a starting battery. The 12V starting battery is charged by the MGU as the eTorque doesn't have a traditional alternator.

Supposedly the OP should have kept trying to start the rig because and after multiple attempts the 48v battery kicks in and via the DC to DC converter it will start the thing by sending 12v to the system.
Always try this method before trying other more difficult methods.
At least one forum member did prove this action and had a successful start.
Yes, I read that this is supposed to work from a current Jeep manual.
Yes, I know that many - many internet messages disagree most because messages confuse with earlier models that have two 12v batteries.
I have not done this because I keep my battery maintained properly when my rig is not driven.
PaulW, 21 JLUR 3.6
This procedure didn't work in my 2018. Maybe my son didn't try starting it enough. A quick jump start got it going though.
Sponsored