kaz

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Hello, all!

I recently purchased a used 2019 Unlimited Sport S, and I'm looking for a dealer to do routine maintenance close to DC.

Can anyone recommend a Jeep *service* department in the DC metro area that they've had good experiences with?

I did a significant amount of shopping in the DC Metro area. And I had a variety of experiences at different dealers on the sales side. Jeep dealers I'd put into the "won't go back to" group include DARCARS (Silver Spring) and Ourisman (Bethesda). On the positive side, I had a good shopping experience with Farrish in Fairfax, and may consider going there.

I realize the sales and service department could be much different within a dealership. So I'd really value learning from your positive experiences.
Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
Which side of the beltway?

OP
OP

kaz

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I live in NW DC, and am not far from Bethesda or Silver Spring. Although I can easily go in any direction with respect to the beltway. If @am1978 have some suggestions on service departments reasonably close to DC, would be great to know. Thanks!

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
I live in NW DC, and am not far from Bethesda or Silver Spring. Although I can easily go in any direction with respect to the beltway. If @am1978 have some suggestions on service departments reasonably close to DC, would be great to know. Thanks!
Iā€™m in SOMD, so I use one in Prince Frederick, MD. Have you tried Farrish out near Merrifield, VA? I bought mine there and the sales guys were great. Canā€™t imagine the service guys are not the same.

Reactions: kaz

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
Iā€™m in SOMD, so I use one in Prince Frederick, MD. Have you tried Farrish out near Merrifield, VA? I bought mine there and the sales guys were great. Canā€™t imagine the service guys are not the same.
I had a great service experience with them today. Haven't had anything too crazy yet, just some warranty work (a fender was damaged during delivery and I got it replaced), but everyone was great and the work was done quickly and satisfactorily.

After getting jerked around at a Toyota dealer with my former truck, my "good service bar" is fairly low and Farrish went way, way above and beyond.

Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
I had a great service experience with them today. Haven't had anything too crazy yet, just some warranty work (a fender was damaged during delivery and I got it replaced), but everyone was great and the work was done quickly and satisfactorily.

After getting jerked around at a Toyota dealer with my former truck, my "good service bar" is fairly low and Farrish went way, way above and beyond.
I ordered my Jeep through Spencer in 2018 at Farrish. No issues, they guy was awesome. Good to know the service team is too.

OP
OP

kaz

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Appreciate the suggestions, @am1978 and @bbq4133. I did go shopping at Farrish in Fairfax (near Merrifield). Among all the dealers I visited, Jeep or otherwise, the customer service for sales at Farrish was exceptional. I would have been very happy to purchase from them, but I was holding out for a manual transmission, which was much more difficult to find (but not impossible). I'll most likely go back to Farrish for maintenance, especially now knowing others have had good experiences there.

Ultimately, I think I hit a sweet spot -- purchased a returned lease with only 8k miles, so almost new but significantly less $ -- yet at a dealer I'm not sure I'd go back to (Tate, Glen Burnie). One week after sale, sales person and sales manager never returned calls or emails.

btw -- not sure if you all have manual transmissions, or not. They're incredibly smooth in the JL. You can barely feel the clutch engage, which took some time for me to get used to.

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Appreciate the suggestions, @am1978 and @bbq4133. I did go shopping at Farrish in Fairfax (near Merrifield). Among all the dealers I visited, Jeep or otherwise, the customer service for sales at Farrish was exceptional. I would have been very happy to purchase from them, but I was holding out for a manual transmission, which was much more difficult to find (but not impossible). I'll most likely go back to Farrish for maintenance, especially now knowing others have had good experiences there.

Ultimately, I think I hit a sweet spot -- purchased a returned lease with only 8k miles, so almost new but significantly less $ -- yet at a dealer I'm not sure I'd go back to (Tate, Glen Burnie). One week after sale, sales person and sales manager never returned calls or emails.

btw -- not sure if you all have manual transmissions, or not. They're incredibly smooth in the JL. You can barely feel the clutch engage, which took some time for me to get used to.
I have a manual. It was one of 3 manual JLU that came in last week. My understanding is that theyā€™re all gone now.

I came from a manual Tacoma and this transmission is immeasurably better. Very, very pleased with it.

OP
OP

kaz

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a manual. It was one of 3 manual JLU that came in last week. My understanding is that theyā€™re all gone now.

I came from a manual Tacoma and this transmission is immeasurably better. Very, very pleased with it.
Yeah, I get the sense that the proportion of Wranglers produced with a manual transmission is very small now. There was also a manual transmission factory recall for some JL and JLUs, mine included. Several dealers I spoke with complained that they were forbidden to sell these new vehicles, because either at the time there wasn't a factory recall fix, or after the recall solution the parts weren't readily available due to reduced production post COVID. (Some required a flywheel replacement.) Overall, I like mine. It's my first vehicle in 20 years, and a lot has changed -- even for Wranglers -- over that time period!

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I get the sense that the proportion of Wranglers produced with a manual transmission is very small now. There was also a manual transmission factory recall for some JL and JLUs, mine included. Several dealers I spoke with complained that they were forbidden to sell these new vehicles, because either at the time there wasn't a factory recall fix, or after the recall solution the parts weren't readily available due to reduced production post COVID. (Some required a flywheel replacement.) Overall, I like mine. It's my first vehicle in 20 years, and a lot has changed -- even for Wranglers -- over that time period!
I read about that recall a few days ago but it looks like it was addressed at the factory as it doesnā€™t show up when searching my VIN.

Sponsored

OP
OP

kaz

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's good news. My read was that it affected roughly 30k to 40k JL & JLUs (2018-2020) with a manual transmission, so it may not apply to all vehicles produced with a manual, but I'm not completely sure. The dealer I purchased from addressed the recall prior to purchase; so far so good.

That said, my JLU completely shredded the serpentine belt one week after purchase (8k miles), leaving me stranded out near Salisbury, MD :/ I'm hoping that it was just a bad belt. Dealer out there (Safford, Salisbury) couldn't find any issues that caused it.

Would recommend the Safford, Salisbury service department, but it's far away!

Finnley

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Recon
So, was it decided that Farrish is the best place for those of us in NW DC?

Thanks!

OP
OP

kaz

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Due to scheduling availability at the time, I ended up going to Koons in Vienna instead of Farrish. I had a very positive experience at Koons. Although I only had a hitch installed; hitch only, no electrical wiring harness. (They quoted somewhere around $700 just for wiring harness installation -- parts not included -- on the JLs. Yikes! Probably a topic for a separate thread.) So while I may check out Farrish in the future, I would also consider going back to Koons.

Maybe others have opinions on Koons in Vienna?

Finnley

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Recon
Due to scheduling availability at the time, I ended up going to Koons in Vienna instead of Farrish. I had a very positive experience at Koons. Although I only had a hitch installed; hitch only, no electrical wiring harness. (They quoted somewhere around $700 just for wiring harness installation -- parts not included -- on the JLs. Yikes! Probably a topic for a separate thread.) So while I may check out Farrish in the future, I would also consider going back to Koons.

Maybe others have opinions on Koons in Vienna?
Got it. Thanks for the additional detail, Kyle.

ByronJayJee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Following. Also have a JLU in NW DC and looking for a good service department
Sponsored