DC - Maryland - Virginia

Jakes12

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (Ordered), 2018 GMC Denali 2500HD; 2011 Corolla S; 2011 Ram Diesel
Has anyone gone to St. John’s ORV park in western Maryland? It looks like it opened more recently
Sponsored

cdrober

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR Ordered
Hello All, I'm in the NoVa area and looking to take in my JLUR to a dealer for steering issues (loose steering, dead spot & steering wheel vibration). I bought it over in Maryland north of Baltimore, but don't want to drive that far for this warranty service.

I've also had some negative experience at Koons and the traffic at Tysons right now is a mess with holiday shopping traffic.

So my query to all of you is: Could anyone recommend a good service department for the other non-Koons dealerships in NoVa? I have never been to any of them, and would like to go for the best one first that will seriously take a look at my issue and help resolve this problem (don't want to get a "could not replicate" response and sent on my way).

Lindsay? Fair Oaks? Others?

Thank you for any input you can provide on this! Please let me know if this is the wrong place to ask this, just didn't think it warranted its own thread.

-Chris

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
Hello All, I'm in the NoVa area and looking to take in my JLUR to a dealer for steering issues (loose steering, dead spot & steering wheel vibration). I bought it over in Maryland north of Baltimore, but don't want to drive that far for this warranty service.

I've also had some negative experience at Koons and the traffic at Tysons right now is a mess with holiday shopping traffic.

So my query to all of you is: Could anyone recommend a good service department for the other non-Koons dealerships in NoVa? I have never been to any of them, and would like to go for the best one first that will seriously take a look at my issue and help resolve this problem (don't want to get a "could not replicate" response and sent on my way).

Thank you for any input you can provide on this! Please let me know if this is the wrong place to ask this, just didn't think it warranted its own thread.

-Chris
Hey Chris. Go to www.novajeepers.net and create an account. Post your question up there. You'll receive a lot of good input there. You should join our club as well. Or at least come to the next meeting in January. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

COBoarder

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Ocean Blue

-Chris
I'm interested in the answer to this as well. My stock Sahara has loose steering and Koons applied the TSB which I think helped but still not acceptable. I'm interested in a dealer who will really fix the problem and go the extra mile looking at the torque on the bolts and every aspect of the steering issue.

I'm sure Jeep knows the severity of the issue but I believe the fix is complex enough that they haven't addressed it officially to the dealers yet. In the meantime a local dealer who is helpful to fix what they can would be a lot of value.

I realized the problem was still there when I drive the Jeep 60+MPH and see how far right and left I can move the steering wheel before I get jeep movement. Way too much.

cdrober

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR Ordered
I'm interested in the answer to this as well. My stock Sahara has loose steering and Koons applied the TSB which I think helped but still not acceptable. I'm interested in a dealer who will really fix the problem and go the extra mile looking at the torque on the bolts and every aspect of the steering issue.

I'm sure Jeep knows the severity of the issue but I believe the fix is complex enough that they haven't addressed it officially to the dealers yet. In the meantime a local dealer who is helpful to fix what they can would be a lot of value.

I realized the problem was still there when I drive the Jeep 60+MPH and see how far right and left I can move the steering wheel before I get jeep movement. Way too much.
COBoarder,

Very similar to my issue, yesterday when taking some turns on 495 in Maryland (on the curves after the bridge) things got a little dicey and I started feeling like I didn't have much control over how far the jeep turned when I turned the wheel (a lot of steering wheel movement to just try and keep the wheels at the same angle for the turn).

Are you having any steering wheel vibration, either before the TSB, after or both?

Thanks for the feedback, I hope we can get this resolved, never had an issue like this with my JK.

Donnie,

Thanks for the recommendation above also, I will check out that site and post there too.

-Chris

Sponsored

COBoarder

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Ocean Blue
COBoarder,

Very similar to my issue, yesterday when taking some turns on 495 in Maryland (on the curves after the bridge) things got a little dicey and I started feeling like I didn't have much control over how far the jeep turned when I turned the wheel (a lot of steering wheel movement to just try and keep the wheels at the same angle for the turn).

Are you having any steering wheel vibration, either before the TSB, after or both?

Thanks for the feedback, I hope we can get this resolved, never had an issue like this with my JK.

Donnie,

Thanks for the recommendation above also, I will check out that site and post there too.

-Chris
I had the TSB done and I thought the Jeep was better until someone on this forum said the real test is to go 45-60mph and move the wheel right and left to see how much slop is the wheel. Sure enough there is way too much. I know there will be a little as it has solid axels etc. but when you move my wife's Honda Odyssey steering wheel any amount you can see the van move.

I don't have any vibration, just slop. You're right, that part of the beltway is real tricky, requiring both hands on the wheel and tons of steering wheel movement to stay in the lane. Jeep better address this soon before too many people get hurt.

AstroDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
davescosmos.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My most recent experience was driving up to Rausch Off-Road Park. On the way up it seemed that my steering was in need of constant attention when I was doing between 50-60 mph. When I got to 65-70 it seems less vague and required less correction. My tires were at 40 front and 41 rear. On my return I only inflated them to 37 front and 38 rear. Now it may be my imagination or I may have just become accustomed to the steering but it did appear to improve my 50-60 mph steering. FYI I have a '18 JLUR with built date of 10-11.

Gogged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Guys, go to Safford in Warrenton and ask for service mgr Matt. He fixed mine by adjusting the tension screw on top of the steering box. There is a TSB out for that now I believe. Safford is great w warranty work and will take care of you.

cdrober

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR Ordered
Guys, go to Safford in Warrenton and ask for service mgr Matt. He fixed mine by adjusting the tension screw on top of the steering box. There is a TSB out for that now I believe. Safford is great w warranty work and will take care of you.
Thanks for the tip, I will make an appointment with them and head over there and speak to Matt.

AstroDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
davescosmos.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the advice...I wonder if the Springfield Safford will be as accomodating. I had seen this adjustment done by JeepInformant on Youtube. That video was taken down shortly after he posted it. Curious if there is an actual TSB out on this... guess I will make an appointment and see and I will let you all know if Springfield Safford is as helpful as Warrenton.

Sponsored

Gogged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

crothrock2000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara

-Chris
Stay away from Fair Oaks Jeep - their service is horrible and the techs have done very little JL work. I had an electric issue and it was the techs first time working on one.

stinggreyjl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Hello all. Just ordered my JLUR a few days ago from Tri county automotive in Eden, NC. (because of the great deal). I am from Texas, but will be moving to Silver Spring, MD in mid-January due to my job. I will be a first time Jeep owner and am looking for people who would want to go hit trails on the weekends.

gumbyhoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: '87 YJ '96 TJ '06 TJ '11 WKII '13 JK 2dr Sport Current: '18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Got out to George Washington National Forest during the snowstorm last weekend. Forecast was for a few inches, we got 15 inches. Made for tons of fun. JLUR and the MTZ's did well but it was slippery as hell. Pics are from the Bald Mountain Jeep Trail and the Blue Ridge Parkway (which was closed by the time we got to it).

Flex.JPG

Flexing

Snow Tire.jpg

Trying out a new white tire/brown wheel combo

Blue Ridge.jpg

An empty Blue Ridge Parkway - One of the most beautiful roads in America and I had never seen it before, can't say I've really seen it now.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Another Maryland Jeeper here. Just ordered a JLU Sport, 6 speed Hella Yella. She will be my daily driver, and her ship date is Jan 4th. I hope the plant workers aren’t too hung over!
My trail rig is an ‘05 TJ Rubicon. We frequent Rausch Creek and AOAA.
Sponsored