Sponsored

Daystar leveling kit on Mopar lift: surprising results

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
After my Mopar lift, I wound up with the front sitting about 1.5” lower than the rear as a result of my heavy winch/ bumper. I debated between the 3/4” and 1.5” leveling kit, and am glad I went with the 3/4”.

The driver side took all of 10 minutes to put on. It took longer to get my tools out. The passenger side took me a good 2 hours. I simply could not find the right angle to get the spring back on with the spacer. There was no way the spring was getting back over the Mopar bump stop extension. I finally broke down and decided to remove the extension……which was a “I hate engineers” adventure. I could not find the right combinations of drive size,extensions, or angle to make it work. After I was at the point of throwing a wrench, I realized the wheel speed sensor line bracket on the back of the perch was removable, and opened up a hole big enough to sneak a 1/4” drive ratchet in there with microns to spare.

Jeep Wrangler JL Daystar leveling kit on Mopar lift: surprising results XQuaKGsl

After the spacers were on, I found a rather surprising result. The front was raised just shy of an inch, and the rear settled nearly a 1/4” (assuming from the slight load shift).

Front before.

Jeep Wrangler JL Daystar leveling kit on Mopar lift: surprising results AyEl2Rvl

Rear before.

Jeep Wrangler JL Daystar leveling kit on Mopar lift: surprising results rSGJbv7l

Front after.

Jeep Wrangler JL Daystar leveling kit on Mopar lift: surprising results mGHWhOXl

Rear after.

Jeep Wrangler JL Daystar leveling kit on Mopar lift: surprising results 672GIx4l

End result is the front is now about a 1/2” lower than the rear, which should level out once I get a 35” spare and bumper on the back.

Jeep Wrangler JL Daystar leveling kit on Mopar lift: surprising results mETdVgKl

‘Another thing I noticed, was a less jarring ride. The extra inch of rubber on the factory isolator dampens out a bit more of the hard shocks I’d get from potholes. The Jeep looks a lot better, and not a bad deal for $30. I just wish I knew the trick with the bump stop extension beforehand, it would have saved me over an hour of experimenting.
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
There was no way the spring was getting back over the Mopar bump stop extension. I finally broke down and decided to remove the extension……which was a “I hate engineers” adventure. I could not find the right combinations of drive size,extensions, or angle to make it work. After I was at the point of throwing a wrench, I realized the wheel speed sensor line bracket on the back of the perch was removable, and opened up a hole big enough to sneak a 1/4” drive ratchet in there with microns to spare.
I don't envy that, those things were impossible to even get on until I saw a recommendation to run the nut on and off a dozen times to get all the paint out of the threads.

JFoFun

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU - Sahara; 6 Speed Man
After my Mopar lift, I wound up with the front sitting about 1.5” lower than the rear as a result of my heavy winch/ bumper. I debated between the 3/4” and 1.5” leveling kit, and am glad I went with the 3/4”.

The driver side took all of 10 minutes to put on. It took longer to get my tools out. The passenger side took me a good 2 hours. I simply could not find the right angle to get the spring back on with the spacer. There was no way the spring was getting back over the Mopar bump stop extension. I finally broke down and decided to remove the extension……which was a “I hate engineers” adventure. I could not find the right combinations of drive size,extensions, or angle to make it work. After I was at the point of throwing a wrench, I realized the wheel speed sensor line bracket on the back of the perch was removable, and opened up a hole big enough to sneak a 1/4” drive ratchet in there with microns to spare.

Jeep Wrangler JL Daystar leveling kit on Mopar lift: surprising results mETdVgKl

After the spacers were on, I found a rather surprising result. The front was raised just shy of an inch, and the rear settled nearly a 1/4” (assuming from the slight load shift).

Front before.

Rear before.

Front after.

Rear after.

End result is the front is now about a 1/2” lower than the rear, which should level out once I get a 35” spare and bumper on the back.

‘Another thing I noticed, was a less jarring ride. The extra inch of rubber on the factory isolator dampens out a bit more of the hard shocks I’d get from potholes. The Jeep looks a lot better, and not a bad deal for $30. I just wish I knew the trick with the bump stop extension beforehand, it would have saved me over an hour of experimenting.
Curious how this has turned out after a few months? I have heard there is some settling (especially in front) with the Mopar lift. I have a 2022 Sahara coming in shortly and am having the dealer do the 2" mopar lift. I have asked them to also put in a 1" teraflex leveling spacer (I have the 1.5" performance leveling kit). They are hesitant/refusing saying it doesn't need it...that the lift will simply raise the vehicle and keep the natural factory rake. I'm concerned as I'll be adding ~150# to front with steel bumper and winch, which to me would add to that rake.... Spoke to some others and they said the bumper/winch doesn't really sag the front at all (??). 50:50 on that - which is surprising to me. I will definitely be doing measurements before and after...Also, any driving/steering issues with the leveling? Another concern I have is if the dealer doesn't do this and I do it after, and there are some steering issues...then the dealer will blame the leveling. All thoughts/comments appreciated. Want to get this right

OP
OP
Fuel Fire Desire

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Mopar lift has a well defined rake towards the front. Even with the leveling kit, the front is still lower than the rear by a noticeable amount, but not as awkward looking.

The dealer aligned the steering and axles using the track bars I installed myself before taking it in. After I put in the leveling kit, I noticed the Jeep had a slight pull with the wheel centered, and wanted to track straight with the wheel just slightly off. It was a fast 5 minute fix in a parking lot with slip joints and a crescent wrench to adjust the drag link.

As far as settling, I haven’t measured, but I’d bet there’s at least a bit. I have so much wheel gap now it’s not obvious like it was before the lift. I lost a good 1-1.5” on the stock springs over a year or two with my steel bumper and winch hanging out front. I expect to see similar results with the Mopar lift, though, I’m hoping with the addition of a much heavier spare and steel bumper hanging off the back the front and rear will settle together.

BadA$$Rubi

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the Daystar 3/4” spacers up front and only one: 1/2” Teraflex spacer at the rear passenger, netting similar results as the the OP (1/2” heavy front to rear and 1/4” heavy passenger side to drivers side). I opted for this arrangement to improve Jeep’s inherent issues of rake and heavy passenger lean. I have a steel bumper and 12k winch up front. Prior to adding the leveling spacers, I added a front adjustable track bar and rear track bar geometry bracket. I couldn’t be happier with the performance, ride quality and look considering it’s only a Mopar 2” lift kit.
Note to OP: when installing all the spacers, I used spring compressors without the need of fussing with the bump stop assemblies for extra clearance. 😉

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fuel Fire Desire

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed the Daystar 3/4” spacers up front and only one: 1/2” Teraflex spacer at the rear passenger, netting similar results as the the OP (1/2” heavy front to rear and 1/4” heavy passenger side to drivers side). I opted for this arrangement to improve Jeep’s inherent issues of rake and heavy passenger lean. I have a steel bumper and 12k winch up front. Prior to adding the leveling spacers, I added a front adjustable track bar and rear track bar geometry bracket. I couldn’t be happier with the performance, ride quality and look considering it’s only a Mopar 2” lift kit.
Note to OP: when installing all the spacers, I used spring compressors without the need of fussing with the bump stop assemblies for extra clearance. 😉
Yeahhhhhh….. I could get the drivers side on by hand, but I still needed a solid inch or two of clearance for the passenger side. Compressors would have saved me hours of trouble. Or knowing the trick to getting access to the bump stop nut before hand.

OP
OP
Fuel Fire Desire

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In response to before/ after settling comparisons, this is the only recent pic I have of it (about a week ago). I guess it’s settled some, but not enough to be obvious without a direct before/ after pic. Current measurement on the front is 40-1/8”, right after install it was 40-1/2”. The rear is the same at 41”.

Immediately after the lift/ level.

Jeep Wrangler JL Daystar leveling kit on Mopar lift: surprising results CRpXaJil

After a few months.

Jeep Wrangler JL Daystar leveling kit on Mopar lift: surprising results L9vLZlo

JFoFun

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In response to before/ after settling comparisons, this is the only recent pic I have of it (about a week ago). I guess it’s settled some, but not enough to be obvious without a direct before/ after pic. Current measurement on the front is 40-1/8”, right after install it was 40-1/2”. The rear is the same at 41”.

Immediately after the lift/ level.

After a few months.

so you are about 7/8" lower in the front with the 3/4" leveling spacer (in front)? As mentioned, I'm putting in 1" teraflex leveling spacers in front

OP
OP
Fuel Fire Desire

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so you are about 7/8" lower in the front with the 3/4" leveling spacer (in front)? As mentioned, I'm putting in 1" teraflex leveling spacers in front
About 3/8”. But I didn’t loose the whole 1.5” on the stock suspension all at once though. It took about 2 years. I’d also bet the factory sport springs are softer and weaker than the Mopar lift springs.

It has been nice not bottoming out all the time through. It was a daily occurrence on my sagged factory setup, since I was only left with about 1.5” of travel. The new Mopar bump stop extensions haven’t been touched. It still rides significantly better overall, and hasnt lost its street driveability. Very stable in turns. Still a bit darty on the highway, probably from the shallow castor and sloppy steering (sector shaft brace going on soon), but it has been like that since day one.

For someone who hasn’t driven a Jeep or an old truck before, they’d say it drives like crap, but for someone used to Jeeps, I’d say it’s still pretty good, and an improvement over stock.

JFoFun

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
About 3/8”. But I didn’t loose the whole 1.5” on the stock suspension all at once though. It took about 2 years. I’d also bet the factory sport springs are softer and weaker than the Mopar lift springs.

It has been nice not bottoming out all the time through. It was a daily occurrence on my sagged factory setup, since I was only left with about 1.5” of travel. The new Mopar bump stop extensions haven’t been touched. It still rides significantly better overall, and hasn'
Jeep Wrangler JL Daystar leveling kit on Mopar lift: surprising results Slugger
t lost its street driveability. Very stable in turns. Still a bit darty on the highway, probably from the shallow castor and sloppy steering (sector shaft brace going on soon), but it has been like that since day one.

For someone who hasn’t driven a Jeep or an old truck before, they’d say it drives like crap, but for someone used to Jeeps, I’d say it’s still pretty good, and an improvement over stock.
Hey Fuel Fire: Update: I had the Mopar lift installed and did have them install the 1" Teraflex spacers in front as pre-lift there was a full 1.5" rake from rear to front. Anyway, the lift wound up being much more than 2"...I am seeing ~4-5", granted ~1" of that is coming from the larger tires. I was at 36.5" ground to front fender bottom; now I'm at 42". Was at 38.0" ground to rear fender well bottom to now 41.75". Anyway, now I have a slight negative rake (~1/4") so perhaps the 1" spacer was a bit too aggressive...and I'm hoping things settle. I added a 65# steel bumper but it didn't move down. Hopefully when I add a 60# winch the front will drop a little...Car looks and drives fine.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fuel Fire Desire

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It will sag with a winch, and mine has definitely settled after 5 months. I haven’t measured it, but it’s far less awkward looking now on 33’s than it did the day after install.

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
My 2 cents. Without getting into droop and sag articulation and bump and since it seems people are just concerned about the rake I'll post on that. It makes no sense to harp on people on what they prefer its personal preference not mall crawl or moab climb. I personally have the Prius JLUR and did the Mopar kit. I got the later version rated for 4xe so I did get the full lift. What I sit at after 6k miles is 41.5 front and 41.75 rear. That's no spare, no gear, no nothing. I'm also running a true 35x11.5 nitto TG MT at 29psi. The kit is great and for each and everyone's budget comes a cost. I am running a Cavfab rear delete, rear crawler bumper, front crawler bumper and Metalcloak adjustable everything. I noticed you don't need to spend the coin on the adjustable stuff from 2 to 3 and do not need a drive shaft depending on what your doing. We personally run Jeepspeed every year and don't crawl. What I changed to because Rancho has not released the 4xe coils yet is Metalcloak dual rate springs with same coil correction cups. We kept the FOX Mopar 2.0 shocks and don't listen to anyone who says BDS has special valving for MC coils it's bs. Fox valves Mopars with better specs but it's like saying a green apple is better then a red apple. What we did find is FOX 2.0 by FOX is 26.3 extended and Mopar are 26.7 so as far as loosing articulation Mopar with MC or any dual rate coils your better off. The ride is slightly stiffer then the alone Mopar kit but minor. We gained 1 full inch exactly with more droop. I don't like the fact of dual rate because it stacks unused coild like a spacer I'd rather have usable coils but it has a purpose coil drop out at full artic. Daystar doesn't recommend "stacking" as everyone else no matter what lift but at .75 stacked it's OK in my opinion. Stacking was an issue way back because people getting out of control then adding body lifts and steering off hardware. I hope this helps and think about what you install before you purchase. If your crawling big go big. If mid well...if mild then..if you jeepspeed like us we look for mid with travel and shock cooling aspects. But this is not our racer.

20-Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Did you only do one side at a time with the spacers vs dropping the entire axle? I hadn't really thought of this as an option but wonder if it might be easier.

OP
OP
Fuel Fire Desire

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you only do one side at a time with the spacers vs dropping the entire axle? I hadn't really thought of this as an option but wonder if it might be easier.
I dropped the axle. Dropping the axle is actually pretty simple. Jack the Jeep by the differential housing, jack stand the frame, pull the wheels, and let the axle down after pulling the lower shock mounts and diff breather. The hardest part was actually removing the bump stop extensions for the springs to clear. The Mopar control arms don’t have enough flex with their clevite ends to snake out the springs without the stops being removed. I was able to use a pry bar on the drivers side to get the spring to clear, but there just wasn’t enough flex in the joints for the passenger to clear. I was about 1” short even with the driver side compressed and the passenger in full droop under pressure.

20-Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Ok, thanks. I did the same when swapping springs was just wondering if I missed a shortcut.
Sponsored