Daystar 2" lift install and review on JL Sahara

SicEmJN

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Sting Gray
I ran out of time to do it myself before my road trip so I dropped it off at a local shop this morning. I didn't take before and after measurements or pictures but took an after shot at about the same angle as an older picture.

Before:
20181222_094504.jpg

After:
20181227_173525.jpg

Ride feels about the same as stock.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Looks good. How long did it take the shop? it'd be interesting to compare how long it takes a professional with a hoist versus the diy person in the garage. I would assume probably only 2-3 hours with a hoist and air tools.

SicEmJN

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Sting Gray
Thanks. It took about 3 hours including the alignment.

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Sounds about right. Thanks for the feedback.

JL18

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I too am most likely going with the daystar kit, primarily because it comes with the LCAs. Most people say 2” won’t affect the caster enough to matter, but I’m skeptical and don’t know how much it changes if the Jeep is lifted 2”. I also plan to add 35s. Any additional feedback or info on this kit would be great!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Assuming I figured it correctly, which is quite possible I did not, a 2" lift will change the caster angle from 6° to 3° if you use the stock LCA.
It's worth noting that my dimensions were taken while installed on a Sahara. They may be a little different if they're accurately measured, but this should give you a rough idea. Measuring the replacement LCA from Daystar mine appear to be roughly 1/4" - 1/2" longer than stock which is all it took to keep the caster correctly adjusted.
Like you, I wanted a kit that corrected the caster angle. It seems the JL steering is very sensitive to caster angle and I didn't want to cause any potential issues. I'm happy to report that my Jeep still rides/handles just like stock.
I've had mine on for about 2 months now and I'm just as happy with it today as I was the day I put it on. I just took a 4+ hour trip to PA last weekend and it drove on the interstate just like it did off the showroom floor. I've had no issues off road, though I should point out that I don't do anything extreme. In short, I'm happy with the kit and would absolutely buy it again.

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Thanks. I hope it helps people with their buying decision. Either for/against this style lift, I think it's nice to have the info out there.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I hope it helps people with their buying decision. Either for/against this style lift, I think it's nice to have the info out there.
Thank you, your review has definitely helped me, I plan to buy this lift.

JL18

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Assuming I figured it correctly, which is quite possible I did not, a 2" lift will change the caster angle from 6° to 3° if you use the stock LCA.
It's worth noting that my dimensions were taken while installed on a Sahara. They may be a little different if they're accurately measured, but this should give you a rough idea. Measuring the replacement LCA from Daystar mine appear to be roughly 1/4" - 1/2" longer than stock which is all it took to keep the caster correctly adjusted.
Like you, I wanted a kit that corrected the caster angle. It seems the JL steering is very sensitive to caster angle and I didn't want to cause any potential issues. I'm happy to report that my Jeep still rides/handles just like stock.
I've had mine on for about 2 months now and I'm just as happy with it today as I was the day I put it on. I just took a 4+ hour trip to PA last weekend and it drove on the interstate just like it did off the showroom floor. I've had no issues off road, though I should point out that I don't do anything extreme. In short, I'm happy with the kit and would absolutely buy it again.
I did get mine installed and am also extremely happy with the results. Just right for me, not too much lift. Fits my 295/70/R18 Nitto Ridge Graplers with factory wheels and 1.25" wheel spacers perfectly. My caster was 5.5 degrees after the 2" Daystar install. Perfect! Rides close to factory, but slightly rougher due to E load rated tires, but still very civilized. :)

Sponsored

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thanks for the review! I'm trying to decide right now which spacer/spring lift I want to go with. This helps.

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I did get mine installed and am also extremely happy with the results. Just right for me, not too much lift. Fits my 295/70/R18 Nitto Ridge Graplers with factory wheels and 1.25" wheel spacers perfectly. My caster was 5.5 degrees after the 2" Daystar install. Perfect! Rides close to factory, but slightly rougher due to E load rated tires, but still very civilized. :)
Were you able to fit those tires without the spacers? I know some people prefer the wider look, and was wondering if you added them for looks, or if the wider tire was rubbing the control arms when you turn to full lock.

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
So speaking of tires. I just picked a set of 34's up. I had every intention of keeping my stock rims and tires, but as Jeep ownership goes, I decided to change it up. Well, actually my wife prompted it. She wanted me to get some more aggressive tires, and who am I to argue.
I got a set of BFG KM2's (285/75/17), which will be mounted on the set of Rubicon take offs. Should be no problem to fit these with the 2" lift. No I just have to get some sensors, and have them mounted/balanced.
Till then I took a photo of them standing next to the Jeep for a ballpark idea of how it will look. I'll update the thread with how they fit once they're mounted.

KM2 (5) resize.jpg

ItsaBlueJeep

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
So speaking of tires. I just picked a set of 34's up. I had every intention of keeping my stock rims and tires, but as Jeep ownership goes, I decided to change it up. Well, actually my wife prompted it. She wanted me to get some more aggressive tires, and who am I to argue.
I got a set of BFG KM2's (285/75/17), which will be mounted on the set of Rubicon take offs. Should be no problem to fit these with the 2" lift. No I just have to get some sensors, and have them mounted/balanced.
Till then I took a photo of them standing next to the Jeep for a ballpark idea of how it will look. I'll update the thread with how they fit once they're mounted.

KM2 (5) resize.jpg
This post has been very helpful, I'm pretty confident I will be purchasing the same lift for my Sahara as well. Any update on how the vehicle rides with the new tires? love the look from the pictures you posted.

ItsaBlueJeep

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara

Wondering how much the shop charged you to install the kit? Understanding price will change based on location but just looking for a ball park number. I am trying to decide if I should tackle this myself or when in doubt sub it out lol. Could you post a picture of your Jeep, would like to see how it looks with the kit and tires.
Sponsored