daughter’s 2020 JL transmission crapped out in less than 2800 miles

Punkdad

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Ocean Blue
My daughter’s two month JL sport just had its transmission crap out with less than 2800 miles on it. Surprising to say the least - worst of all, the dealer I took it to can’t get to it in the foreseeable future due to ole’ COVID.
Sponsored

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Sorry to hear. Hopefully they gave her a loaner.

What transmission does your daughter have?

OP
OP
Punkdad

Punkdad

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Ocean Blue
Sorry to hear. Hopefully they gave her a loaner.

What transmission does your daughter have?
It’s the automatic on the 3.6 - they were going to give us a loaner until they found out their local enterprise branch they have an agreement is shut down on sundays now. Fortunately we have an extra car in the fam she can drive.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
That sucks. What do you mean by crap out. Reason I ask is mine was starting to show signs of crapping out but I traded I t in just in time it seams. Mine was taking a while to engage when I put it into drive. Was getting worse.

OP
OP
Punkdad

Punkdad

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Ocean Blue
That sucks. What do you mean by crap out. Reason I ask is mine was starting to show signs of crapping out but I traded I t in just in time it seams. Mine was taking a while to engage when I put it into drive. Was getting worse.
It was acting like it was in the wrong gear and wouldn’t go. Sensor light came on pretty quick which we found out came back as gear ratio issue. Dealer said that usually when they see that message, it’s bad news.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My daughter’s two month JL sport just had its transmission crap out with less than 2800 miles on it. Surprising to say the least - worst of all, the dealer I took it to can’t get to it in the foreseeable future due to ole’ COVID.
@Punkdad,
We are sorry to hear this! Please send our team a private message if you'd like additional assistance during this repair process.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Same thing happened to mine. 8 spd auto trans. It needed full replacement. Still waiting, over a month now.

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
That’s how mine started.. put it in reverse or drive and it would take a few seconds then abruptly engage. While driving it acted like it didn’t know what gear it wanted to be in... I only drove it one mile after the first time it did this... mechanic said there were metal shavings in the pan.

OP
OP
Punkdad

Punkdad

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Ocean Blue
Same thing happened to mine. 8 spd auto trans. It needed full replacement. Still waiting, over a month now.
Sorry to hear that. With the current state of things, that’s a large concern for me.

OP
OP
Punkdad

Punkdad

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Ocean Blue
@Punkdad,
We are sorry to hear this! Please send our team a private message if you'd like additional assistance during this repair process.

Kathryn
JeepCares
Thank you Kathryn,

The Jeep repair shop (broke down 80 miles away from home) was extremely courteous and I also reached out to my dealer since I’ve purchased three jeeps now in the last couple years. If I don’t hear back, I will certainly let you know via PM.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thank you Kathryn,

The Jeep repair shop (broke down 80 miles away from home) was extremely courteous and I also reached out to my dealer since I’ve purchased three jeeps now in the last couple years. If I don’t hear back, I will certainly let you know via PM.
Thanks for the follow up, @Punkdad. We certainly hope to see this resolved for you. Let us know if you need any additional support in your repair process.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Would they deny warranty on the trans for having oversized tires? Like 35s?

not directed at anyone in particular. Just a general question

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep

It’s absolutely possible they can claim the tires put extra stress on the transmission and deny the claim. FCA sends out an inspector for repairs over $3,000

It’s a crap shoot.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

It’s absolutely possible they can claim the tires put extra stress on the transmission and deny the claim. FCA sends out an inspector for repairs over $3,000

It’s a crap shoot.
hmmm...if i have a Sport with mopar lift and take it to dealer on stock 31.5" tires, arent they going to be like.....:movember:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

Probably up to the discreetion of the dealer and or regional rep? There is definitely language in the Mopar Max Care Extended Warranty contract about oversize tires and possible warranty denial. OP's Jl would still fall under the bumper-to-bumper or factory drivetrain warranty though.
Sponsored