Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2003 TJ, 2020 JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Just picked up my Jeep on Friday and can't wait to get started. This is the initial list (most of which is sitting in my spare bedroom):
Rear bumper: Ace Engineering JL Halfback bumper
Tire carrier: Ace Engineering JL Stand Alone tire carrier
Rock sliders: Ace Engineering JL Rock sliders
Front bumper: GenRight aluminum front stubby bumper w/winch guard bar
Winch: Quadratec Q-Performance Stealth 10k winch with synthetic line
Fenders: Metalcloak Overland Tube fenders
Suspension: Metalcloak Game-Changer 3.5 6Pak edition
Diff covers: Metalcloak
Wheels: AEV Borah DualSport beadlocks
Steering: SteerSmarts Yeti XD tie rod and draglink with Griffin attenuator
Steering: Synergy track bar and sector shaft brace
CB: Cool Tech CB kit

Jeep Wrangler JL Dasher320 JLURD build IMG_1850

Jeep Wrangler JL Dasher320 JLURD build IMG_1860

Jeep Wrangler JL Dasher320 JLURD build IMG_1861
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dasher320

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
First mod was the Z Automotive Tazer JL Mini. Pretty easy but getting your hands up to get the plugs undone is a bitch.

I unplugged the wrong plugs at first. The ones right behind the OBDC port are not the right ones. They are above the OBDC port. It's a real pain to get your fingers up there to unclip the plugs.

IMG_1886.jpeg

OP
OP
Dasher320

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Innovative JK/JL Products IJKP-24-ARB 4-Tire Air System with ARB Twin Compressor

This fits under the passenger seat great--I'm very happy with how it turned out. If I knew what I know now, I would remove the passenger seat to route all the wires and hoses.

Here's my notes:
-Getting the trim unclipped from the footwell is a pain. That was probably the hardest part.
-My Aux switch wiring was really hidden up in the footwell. It was taped up behind a bigger wire bundle. It took me forever to find it.
-Speaking of Aux switch wiring, the kit doesn't include the 10 cent connector for the Aux switch. I know not everybody has or uses the Aux switches, but why not just include that part. I had one on hand, so no big deal but I would have been mad having to go to the hardware store for that part.
-I routed mine through the drain plug in the floor board. I'm not sure you could even go through the firewall on the diesel.
-Lifting up the center console: I don't know how they got those pictures with the back end of the center console lifted up so high. I could barely get the end of a 2x2 under it to hold it up to route the hose underneath. I had to totally do it in the blind by just pushing the hose through there.
-I had to cut the Jeep all weather mats because they cover the back of the compressors.

No matter how long any project is supposed to take, it will take me all day.

IMG_1876.jpeg

IMG_1877.jpeg

IMG_1878.jpeg

OP
OP
Dasher320

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Ace Engineering JL Rock Sliders

This was pretty easy--6 bolts. The only issue is the front bolts have red lock-tite on them so you have to be careful. There are tons of posts on this, so I heated them up with a torch for 5 minutes then worked them back and forth. They made some pretty scary noises a couple of times, but came out with no problems.

I got these because you can leave the Rubicon rock rails on there and there is no drilling. The fit and finish are very nice.

IMG_1871.jpeg

IMG_1873.jpeg

IMG_1883.jpeg

OP
OP
Dasher320

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Tuffy 348-01 Console Insert

Read the directions and figure it out before you try to install this. Besides working in tight spaces, this was relatively easy to install. I can still use my USB port with a flat cable, but the light that shines into the console ends up above the door of this box, so with the door open it blocks the light into the console. You definitely lose some space, but whatever you put in this will be secure.

IMG_1890.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dasher320

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Dominion Offroad Hi-Lift Jack Mount

Got this installed pretty quickly only to find out it doesn't work with the Sky One-Touch top. :mad: I'm considering cutting about an inch off of my hi-lift jack so it will fit because I do like the location for the jack. The track for the top dips right where the top of the hi-lift would go.

Edit: the ad does say that you have to cut the jack if you have the Sky One-Touch top, I just missed that. I cut 2" off of the jack and now it fits perfectly.

IMG_1893.jpeg

IMG_1894.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dasher320

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Metalcloak Overland Tube Fenders

I love everything Metalcloak. These are very nice. I like that they keep the look of the lights up front.

Some notes from the install:
--The Rubicon rock rails have to be removed to install the front fenders. It's pretty easy, 6 nuts and 3 bolts, but I had already installed the Ace rock sliders so I had to loosen those up to get them out of the way to get the Rubi rails off.
--The LED lights will cause a fault--it senses the turn signals are out, but my lights worked fine. Since I have the Tazer JL, all I had to do was turn on the front LED turn signals, reboot, then turn on the signals for about 20 seconds and now they don't show a fault and fast blink.
--The jury-rig nutsert tool they include worked great for me. I had never done that with big nutserts. I've used a small rivnut tool before, but they are a pain to set straight. This worked well. Of course the first fender was the hardest until I got the hang of it.
--It took me 2 days to get these installed working by myself.

IMG_1931.jpeg

IMG_1932.jpeg

IMG_1933.jpeg

IMG_1934.jpeg

OP
OP
Dasher320

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Synergy Manufacturing 8869-01 Front Track Bar Brace & Sector Shaft Brace

This is touted online as the cure all for steering issues. Not for me, I still have a dead spot. It may be marginally better, but it is still there. That said, I don't plan to do some big hydraulic steering upgrade so this brace is money well spent to beef up the support of the steering box and top brace for the track bar. I will install a SteerSmarts tie rod next to see if that helps the steering.

Install notes:
--I am starting to really hate red lock-tite. It would have taken about an hour to install this if I didn't have to spend an hour getting the steering box/pitman arm nut off. I don't have a pneumatic impact wrench so I was using a breaker bar. It was a bitch to get that nut off. I'm really surprised I didn't break something. I ended up taking the plastic piece under the bumper off to get better leverage on it--that helped.

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Dasher.
Your rig is looking great.
One trick to Locktite, a heat gun works well to loosen up the bond.
Also, the SteerSmart you mention is really good stuff.
Installed all of their stuff on to my Jeep including their drag link with Griffin attenuator, which is amazing.
If you Jeep is not lifted, consider forgoing the Griffin attenuator and go with their regular drag link as some folks are having clearance issues.

OP
OP
Dasher320

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Dasher.
Your rig is looking great.
One trick to Locktite, a heat gun works well to loosen up the bond.
Also, the SteerSmart you mention is really good stuff.
Installed all of their stuff on to my Jeep including their drag link with Griffin attenuator, which is amazing.
If you Jeep is not lifted, consider forgoing the Griffin attenuator and go with their regular drag link as some folks are having clearance issues.
I've got the drag link with the Griffin attenuator and the tie rod from SteerSmarts. I don't have the lift yet, so I was worried about the Griffin, thanks for the heads up. I had heard that elsewhere and called them to get an answer, but never got a response. My plan is to do the tie rod and relocation bracket and wait to do the drag link after I get the lift on.

I did heat up the body mount bolts for the red locktite but I wasn't sure about using it on the steering box. There's a lot of other stuff around there that I was afraid to heat up.

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Bracing the box won't help is the slop is in the box. You can adjust this. Opinions vary on whether this is a good idea or not.

OP
OP
Dasher320

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Bracing the box won't help is the slop is in the box. You can adjust this. Opinions vary on whether this is a good idea or not.
Are you talking about tightening up the steering box itself? That will be my last (very small) adjustment if the rest of the steering upgrades don't work. I did it on my CJ7 but I'm still nervous about that LOL.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Are you talking about tightening up the steering box itself? That will be my last (very small) adjustment if the rest of the steering upgrades don't work. I did it on my CJ7 but I'm still nervous about that LOL.
Yes. I did it on my 01 Xterra. Didn't seem like a big deal and never had any ill effects from it.

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Nice jeep!
I made the adjustment on the steering box and it cured the dead spot now for 3k miles. Now i do have bumpsteer and im still stock. Starting to install t-bar, lwr CAs and possibly the brace.
Did the brace cure the bump steer/wobble over uneven pavement?

OP
OP
Dasher320

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Nice jeep!
I made the adjustment on the steering box and it cured the dead spot now for 3k miles. Now i do have bumpsteer and im still stock. Starting to install t-bar, lwr CAs and possibly the brace.
Did the brace cure the bump steer/wobble over uneven pavement?
I haven't really had noticeable bumpsteer or any wobble at all. My main issue is the dead spot. I installed the SteerSmarts Yeti tie rod and steering stabilizer relocation bracket with HD-N steering stabilizer today. That is another incremental fix, but the dead spot is not gone still. I have the drag link also, but there isn't enough room to install it until I lift the Jeep.
Sponsored