Sponsored

Dashcam with Safety Group - where to mount?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Where are members mounting their dashcams in relation to the sensor box under the rear-view mirror? Pics of tidy (wire routing in particular) installations appreciated. Also, any brand/model recommendation?
Sponsored

nyvisual

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Rubicon
I have a Blackvue Dashcam that I mounted to the right (passenger) side of the box. The wires go down the right a pillar, and underneath the glovebox to the pre-wire. Pretty straight forward.

Thane

First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURXR, 10 FJ Cruiser
Just set up a Garmin Mini 2, it is tiny uses an app for setup and playback which I prefer over on camera screen and controls.

Provided USB cable ran down inside of A pillar, behind glove box, inside center console, drilled one hole at rear of center storage above USB port. Loosened A-pillar cover, unsnapped speaker cover and dash end cover, removed glove box and rear of center console. Running cable was easy access once this route was opened up.

App allows realtime view for aiming and set-up, 512GB microSD not included. After setting up 4 different dashcams previously with poorly written instructions, arcane control schemes... this one was simple and intuitive.

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I have mine mounted to the windshield just right of the box and run the cable over to the passenger A-Pillar and down.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Where are members mounting their dashcams in relation to the sensor box under the rear-view mirror? Pics of tidy (wire routing in particular) installations appreciated. Also, any brand/model recommendation?
I reused the BlackView I had in my Ram. Camera is to the right of the rearview mirror just a bit. I ran the power wire down my A-pillar to my OBD port as that was type of connecter I had for my camera. Mine includes a rear camera as well and super easy to remove the plastic trim from the roll cage and run that wire to the rear.

Grab handle on the A pillar is easily removable as well. All in all easy to run wiring

Sponsored

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Hereā€™s some quick photos. Iā€™m running an Aukey DR02. Originally mounted on my JK. These use a Sony camera sensor, and work great at night. Wiring is taped via black electrical tape to the little inner channel in the A pillar, running down to the OBD-II port for power. Canā€™t see it from my seating position. Pictures in spoiler text.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dashcam with Safety Group - where to mount? D8514187-E393-447E-B565-CF57FA13B6C2

Jeep Wrangler JL Dashcam with Safety Group - where to mount? 34CE14D6-70EC-4911-B0CF-3FB8D3C181A0

Jeep Wrangler JL Dashcam with Safety Group - where to mount? 93C17259-9873-4FCC-B9A5-0936C7414C1D

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I already have my Scangauge in my OBDII. I could use a splitter, but is the OBDII the power source for all of these dashcams?

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I already have my Scangauge in my OBDII. I could use a splitter, but is the OBDII the power source for all of these dashcams?
Not any more for Blackvue (think I spelled this wrong the first time) - I used the OBDII connection as I had it and I know it works. If I would have purchased a new one, I would have hard wired to the bundle in the passenger foot well. Blackvue no longer makes or offers the OBD II power connector.

At the time of purchase the OBD II connector made it easy for me to install, no need to go through the firewall of my truck to the fuse block. Given that Jeep has wires in the passenger compartment that would not have been an issue.

My camera runs for a time period when the vehicle is off, so it wants a "hot" and "acc" wire plus a ground. Different camera manufactures have different requirements

Quinn99

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara, Chief Blue
I just installed the Garmin mini2 and like it a lot. It is tinyā€”clear images, easy install, barely noticeable with no visible wires. I installed with the parking mode cable (not the obd one). Very easy and clean install if you have the factory aux switches. I ran the cable along the windshield under the speaker cover to the footwell. The adapter has one line that connects to the battery wire, one that connects to the ignition wire and a ground. Super easy. It responds to audio commands like ā€œok Garmin, take a photoā€ which i think will be cool for scenic drives or random weird things you see on the road. You can connect your phone wirelessly and pull off photos or videos. It also records events while parked with the engine off. It turns out That includes things like opening doors, so probably not that useful. If you get a 512gb card with it, it can record 40 hours, though, so a bunch of not so useful scenes from your garage every time you open the doors isnā€™t so bad.

06BB6207-9AED-4CEB-AA69-9C1F58CE22F3.jpeg

92E7CB62-2D88-43D9-B09C-9BD25C87EE0C.jpeg

Sponsored

Overlander21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Overland (UK spec)
I have a Blackvue Dashcam that I mounted to the right (passenger) side of the box. The wires go down the right a pillar, and underneath the glovebox to the pre-wire. Pretty straight forward.
I've got the same camera, installed in the same location and followed the same wiring route.

I also have one mounted on the rear window too.

But I wouldn't recommend these cameras, the WiFi and Bluetooth connections are an absolute nightmare and their app will drive to absolutely insane.

nyvisual

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Rubicon
I've got the same camera, installed in the same location and followed the same wiring route.

I also have one mounted on the rear window too.

But I wouldn't recommend these cameras, the WiFi and Bluetooth connections are an absolute nightmare and their app will drive to absolutely insane.
Do you have a better recommendation?

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Wrangler392; ā€˜20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Given how small the wrangler windshield is, has anyone seen something like this?

Seems they have molds for the renegade but none for the JL yet.

D1E3D85E-75B9-487C-87DA-2C235FAEE6CB.jpeg

2244E654-67B2-4BC2-96AD-EEEE3A5AA3F7.png

Finnley

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Recon
Hereā€™s some quick photos. Iā€™m running an Aukey DR02. Originally mounted on my JK. These use a Sony camera sensor, and work great at night. Wiring is taped via black electrical tape to the little inner channel in the A pillar, running down to the OBD-II port for power. Canā€™t see it from my seating position. Pictures in spoiler text.

D8514187-E393-447E-B565-CF57FA13B6C2.jpeg

34CE14D6-70EC-4911-B0CF-3FB8D3C181A0.jpeg

93C17259-9873-4FCC-B9A5-0936C7414C1D.jpeg
Hi there. Does your set-up supply power to the camera when your engine is off?

I have a Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 connected to my OBD II port using their Constant Power cable. However, it doesnā€™t stay on for more than a few minutes after the engine is off, despite having it set to do so.

Garmin support doesnā€™t have any suggestions and canā€™t confirm whether or not the JLUR is set-up to provide constant power through the port.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Hi there. Does your set-up supply power to the camera when your engine is off?

I have a Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 connected to my OBD II port using their Constant Power cable. However, it doesnā€™t stay on for more than a few minutes after the engine is off, despite having it set to do so.

Garmin support doesnā€™t have any suggestions and canā€™t confirm whether or not the JLUR is set-up to provide constant power through the port.
Thatā€™s a great question. Hereā€™s the exact OBD-II power tap I use. One of itā€™s features is the ability to turn off after five minutes of so after shut off. I can confirm that the auto shut off, turn on feature works with my JL.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074YZ1GKL?
Sponsored