First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
I looked through all the threads mentioning "dash cam" or "dashcam" and nobody seems to mentions this. I ride around with my top and doors off almost all of the time. I want to get a dashcam, but I feel like that would be easy pickins for a thief. Does anyone else run a dashcam with the top/doors off?
Sponsored

DevilDog305

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I looked through all the threads mentioning "dash cam" or "dashcam" and nobody seems to mentions this. I ride around with my top and doors off almost all of the time. I want to get a dashcam, but I feel like that would be easy pickins for a thief. Does anyone else run a dashcam with the top/doors off?
I have an OWL cam, they guarantee replacement if someone steals it, I would worry more if it gets wet.

OP
OP
jdubya421

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
OWL seems nice, but pretty expensive. You seem to get what you are paying for though. Having a screen like that seems like it might be more of an obvious target. Thanks for the input though, I will keep that one on the list. I am currently leaning toward the Anker Roav duo because its cheaper and has pretty decent quality.

DevilDog305

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
OWL seems nice, but pretty expensive. You seem to get what you are paying for though. Having a screen like that seems like it might be more of an obvious target. Thanks for the input though, I will keep that one on the list. I am currently leaning toward the Anker Roav duo because its cheaper and has pretty decent quality.
Or a more obvious deterrent since it has sentry lights, plus it's LTE so I get notifications when someone is messing with my Jeep no matter where in the world I'm at. But you are right it's expensive but so is my Jeep.

OP
OP
jdubya421

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Or a more obvious deterrent since it has sentry lights, plus it's LTE so I get notifications when someone is messing with my Jeep no matter where in the world I'm at. But you are right it's expensive but so is my Jeep.
Those are some good points.

Sponsored

Jeepney18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Corolla S, 2018 JL Sport S Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I have a front and rear camera and I still haven't taken the doors off but I have gone out without the top on. The rear camera can be disconnected, so when the top is off, I only have the front camera, but only because I haven't had time to setup the rear camera somewhere in the back. The front camera is part of the rear view mirror. I have an alien sunshade, so I hope it helps keep hands out, but it's easy to get by if they really wanted to remove the camera. When the screen is off, it's still a mirror.
2019-08-20 14_00_58-Photos - Google Photos - Vivaldi.jpg
2019-08-20 14_01_21-Photo - Google Photos - Vivaldi.jpg
2019-08-20 14_02_28-Photos - Google Photos - Vivaldi.jpg

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
Whenever I take the doors off the dashcam gets stored. I have had cheap sunglasses lifted. A dashcam is much more tempting...

OP
OP
jdubya421

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Whenever I take the doors off the dashcam gets stored. I have had cheap sunglasses lifted. A dashcam is much more tempting...
This is what I figured I would do, but I also kind of wanted recording for when I am not in the car. I think for now I will just take it with me or lock it up.

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered a cheap one off of Amazon last year. I have been without a top and doors for the last month or so and I have had not problems as of yet. I am sure if I lived in a huge city or a shady neighborhood maybe I would feel differently but really never worry about it.

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
I'm looking for a camera system that can record the rear as well as the front. I'm more concerned about the potential Darwin Award Winners tailgating me at speeds well over 10 mph over the speed limits.

Sponsored

WillDo559

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon unlimited
I have a blackvue 2ch dash cam for front and rear, they disconnect very easily so it can be stored in center console or glove. I have the battery pack so it records when parked as well. Parking mode works very well, it records every time a car drives by at night or any time there's an event, it also labels the videos as an event file. I can transfer videos through WiFi to my phone pretty fast and it also connects to my car WiFi which is something I don't use it for. But say if someone takes my car, I can watch and listen in. Don't mean to sounds like a salesman but I've really been pleased with it.

Deleted member

I have the OWL cam too, love the fact that its via LTE in case anything is stolen

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Sounds like you need a dash cam for your dash cam...

but seriously, Police management often have devices in dash cam equipped cruisers that prevent cameras and recording devices from being tampered with in Patrol cars by patrol personnel.

I wonder what a search in that realm might find you.
Sponsored