Dashcam Add-a-fuse or Aux Switch?

Xelera

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I have a dash cam and hard-wire kit that uses "add-a-fuse design, but since the fuse box is under the hood, would have to:

1. run some extension wire between the fuse connection and main power cable (crimping, not a big deal, just don't like multiple points where joints/crimps can come undone) going through the same firewall port the dealer installed my aux buttons/wires through...

OR

2. use one of those aux wires (aux 3 or aux 4 most likely, since they are lower amp, even though the Mopar OEM kit has all four wires the same size???) and just configure it through uconnect to be always on with ignition...

Recommendation for either? I also have a Cobra 75 CB to install, so if I was running through the firewall, could do both at same time and keep all 4 aux switches free still, but hey, i bought and had them installed so i could use them... but might be nice to save them for air compressor, winch, lights... since I only have 4.
Sponsored

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
If you have the AUX group, then you should have the internal bundle of AUX wires, down in the passenger footwell. In addition to the 4 AUX wires, there should be a "battery" and "ignition" lead (so 6 wires total) - IF it came from the factory. You might consider tapping into either the battery or ignition. I did ignition for my dashcam, CB and cig outlet replacement. All work well on the single 10a wire.

charlie00tj

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
If you have the AUX group, then you should have the internal bundle of AUX wires, down in the passenger footwell. In addition to the 4 AUX wires, there should be a "battery" and "ignition" lead (so 6 wires total) - IF it came from the factory. You might consider tapping into either the battery or ignition. I did ignition for my dashcam, CB and cig outlet replacement. All work well on the single 10a wire.
Do you think this would work for a front facing camera mounted to your grille?

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Do you think this would work for a front facing camera mounted to your grille?
I would think so. I "believe" the same 6 wire runs are available under the hood as well. If not, you should be able to use a fuse-tap for fuse 52 or 57, cant remember which one is the popular tap.....might be both. Just search on here for that info.

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon JLU 2.0t w/ eTorque & Moto Guzzi Griso
Does anyone have a recommendation on a grill mounted dashcam?

Sponsored

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase